Incentive Auction Discussion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
moving on to Round 4
I agree that there doesn't appear to be much point in bothering with the Stage (NOT Round) 3 forward auction process. The supply at this time has shown to be too much greater than the demand and the more auctions they have to find out exactly what it is worth, the higher the overhead.

I agree that there doesn't appear to be much point in bothering with the Stage (NOT Round) 3 forward auction process. The supply at this time has shown to be too much greater than the demand and the more auctions they have to find out exactly what it is worth, the higher the overhead.

So if there is no Stage 3, does that effectively mean that the repack is dead?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

yeah I like the boxing terminology better, see who gets the knockout in what round. the broadcasters, the wireless companies or the fcc :eek:

So if there is no Stage 3, does that effectively mean that the repack is dead?
I think it is an idea that is a little ahead of its time.

I kind of expect that they will only get half way to their original goal or less but they're going to have to get to that point a lot quicker than one or two channels per stage. The wireless companies are hopefully planning on more efficient technologies rather than delving into the lower frequencies. Cellular was based on the idea of frequency reuse and having frequencies that travel farther doesn't mesh well with that concept.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
FCC Forward Auction Bidding Starts Dec. 5

http://www.multichannel.com/news/fcc/fcc-forward-auction-bidding-starts-dec-5/409390

As expected, bidding in stage three of the forward auction will begin Dec. 5, the FCC said Friday.

Stage two of the forward auction only took one round after bidders all decided to reduce their demand rather than raise their prices and stuck with the $22 billion they had bid in stage one, far below broadcasters' first two asking prices of $86 billion for 126 MHz and $55 billion for 114 MHz.

I doubt it lasts long. I just don't see them doubling what they offered in the first 2.

What Happens If The Spectrum Auction Fails?

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/99815/what-happens-if-the-spectrum-auction-fails

Where are we now?

Stage 3 just finished, Ryvicker continued, with the broadcast "ask" falling to $40.3 billion (from $86.4 billion in Stage 1 and $54.6 billion in Stage 2) and the wireless "bid" falling to $19.1 billion (from $23 billion in Stage 1 and $20.8 billion in Stage 2). Unfortunately, it's this $19.1 billion that is cause for concern, as we want the forward price to RISE, not FALL. We'll get info on Stage 4 (84 MHz cleared, 70MHz sold) this Friday (Dec. 9).

Reactions: jamesjimcie

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/99815/what-happens-if-the-spectrum-auction-fails

Where are we now?

Stage 3 just finished, Ryvicker continued, with the broadcast "ask" falling to $40.3 billion (from $86.4 billion in Stage 1 and $54.6 billion in Stage 2) and the wireless "bid" falling to $19.1 billion (from $23 billion in Stage 1 and $20.8 billion in Stage 2). Unfortunately, it's this $19.1 billion that is cause for concern, as we want the forward price to RISE, not FALL. We'll get info on Stage 4 (84 MHz cleared, 70MHz sold) this Friday (Dec. 9).

Good. I hope it fails.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Unfortunately, it's this $19.1 billion that is cause for concern, as we want the forward price to RISE, not FALL.
Is it not reasonable at some level to assume that less spectrum is going to fetch less proceeds (at least until wireless is up against a wall)?

This would appear to support the idea that the timing is wrong and that the effort will go down in flames with a substantial amount of money having been wasted on conducting the stages.

This time they're adding back four TV channels that brings us to where I claimed that they should have been (not having the reverse auction spectrum straddling channel 35).

There seems to be some issues with the math in the article. With a clearing target of 108MHz, they were going to be selling 80MHz but with a clearing target of 84MHz (reduced by 24MHz), the forward auction is for 70MHz (reduced by only 10MHz)?

There seems to be some issues with the math in the article. With a clearing target of 108MHz, they were going to be selling 80MHz but with a clearing target of 84MHz (reduced by 24MHz), the forward auction is for 70MHz (reduced by only 10MHz)?

At 84 MHz, you don't need to buy 14 MHz worth of guard band on the lower end because channel 37 is that guard band. See the band plan chart:

https://www.fcc.gov/sites/default/files/Band-Plan-for-LEARN.png

Haven't you said before that those are two separate things?

They are. However, he could be right in the sense that even though the government won't pay for the conversion to ATSC 3.0 itself, money raised selling spectrum in the auction could be reinvested in deploying ATSC 3.0 on a station owner's remaining stations.

- Trip

However, he could be right in the sense that even though the government won't pay for the conversion to ATSC 3.0 itself, money raised selling spectrum in the auction could be reinvested in deploying ATSC 3.0 on a station owner's remaining stations.
That's indeed what I was thinking. Having to go through one partially subsidized conversion is better than having to ultimately go through two separate conversions -- only the latter of which is partially subsidized.

Where are we now?

The wireless companies seem to hit a big obstacle, good for them, why they continue to the next hopefully they give up and fold

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts