Incentive Auction Discussion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jessell Alert: Spectrum Auction Terribly Sick

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/99893/jessell-alert-spectrum-auction-terribly-sick

Can you believe this? A year ago, the FCC teased broadcasters with prospective incentive auction opening bids for TV stations ranging from $900 million to $1.2 million. Now, going into Stage 4, with the money broadcasters want and what wireless carriers are willing to pay far, far apart, there's a possibility the whole enterprise may come to naught. If so, the wireless industry should be made to reimburse the FCC for the millions (tens of millions?) of dollars that the agency has spent creating, designing and executing the auction over the past seven years

If so, the wireless industry should be made to reimburse the FCC for the millions (tens of millions?) of dollars that the agency has spent creating, designing and executing the auction over the past seven years
This particular auction process has only been going on for six months and it is supposed to be paid for out of its forward auction proceeds. We still don't have solid numbers on the cost, but I'll bet it will go on the books at 100 times what any thinking person might hypothesize.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
New tuners with new hardware are needed. Not s/w upgradable. And I don't think the absolute final version is out.

I'm sure STBs to receive ATSC 3 and output HDMI will be available. Just don't expect component out or ANY analog outputs.

Maybe someone will subsidize early units, until volume ramps up and costs come down.

WAIT! Is that the tooth fairy I see?

One point that hasn't been discussed is that as the auction progresses, enough spectrum will be retained for TV use to accommodate all current UHF full-power and Class A stations in markets without any having to shut down, share a channel or move to VHF. Las Vegas stations were never involved in the auction, as the FCC determined before announcing first stage opening prices that there was no need to pay for those stations to clear spectrum. The same was true with some full power and Class A stations in Northern Arizona.

Now that the auction has reached the fourth stage, all auction-eligible UHF stations in the Phoenix, Tucson and Yuma markets can fit within the remaining UHF band, even accounting for Mexican stations in border communities. There is no need to pay any of those stations to move to VHF or shut down. I'm sure this is happening in other markets, especially here in the West where there is greater separation between cities.

Fewer stations bidding will further drop prices in the reverse auction, making it more likely to see the auction target met. It should also speed up the process.

Fewer stations bidding will further drop prices in the reverse auction, making it more likely to see the auction target met. It should also speed up the process.
I noted earlier that small drops in the number of channels ceded was probably not a good idea. In the second stage they dropped two and then only one with the third stage. Now in the fourth stage, they've dropped four channels so perhaps they've recognized the folly of nibbling away at it.

Looking at an analysis from late September, someone had guessed/planned the stage clearing targets all along (third paragraph):

http://current.org/2016/09/tv-spectrum-auction-enters-next-stage-with-new-bidding-lower-prices/

There's no accident to the highest channel left for TV use in each stage of the auction - it is intentional.

In the initial stage of the auction, 100 MHz was to be created for wireless use, allowing ten 10 MHz blocks of spectrum. Each block consists of 5 MHz in an uplink band and 5 MHz in a downlink band. The 26 MHz of overhead was for guard bands: at least 6 MHz between the remaining TV spectrum and the downlink band (the initial stage required 9 MHz), 3 MHz on each side of channel 37 (608 - 614 MHz), which is being retained for telemetry and radio astronomy use, and an 11 MHz duplex gap between the downlink and uplink bands.

So, for the initial stage, counting backwards from 698 MHz, which is the upper limit of current TV channel 51, uplink band with blocks A - J were 648 - 698 MHz, and the duplex gap was from 637 - 648 MHz. Channel 37 and its guard bands took up 605 - 617 MHz. That left 20 MHz between channel 37 and the duplex gap, so downlink band blocks G - J went there, while blocks A - F went into the next 30 MHz below the lower channel 37 guard band, or from 575 - 605 MHz. 6 MHz necessary for a guard band brings the wireless band down to 569 MHz, so the next lowest TV channel was channel 29, which ends at 566 MHz.

In each successive stage, the number of blocks created for wireless use is reduced by one, with adjustments to the guard band between the remaining TV spectrum and the wireless downlink band. Beginning with stage 4, the wireless band begins above channel 37 and beginning with stage 5, channel 37 and its 3 MHz guard band is no longer a factor. The last stage planned gives 20 MHz of spectrum to wireless use, plus the 11 MHz duplex gap, plus an 11 MHz guard band between the wireless band and the TV band, taking 42 MHz out of the TV spectrum, or seven channels (six if one considers channel 51 to be gone already).

See page 7 of FCC document https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-14-191A1.pdf for the spectrum clearing plan for stages 1 - 9.

At least they didn't start at the 12 block schedule...

It never ceases to amaze me how radio people seem to feel compelled to talk about things in obscure terms. Assigning block letter designations rather than using frequencies is one example. The fact that the blocks were designated starting at the bottom and keep shifting seems dain bramaged. Shortcuts have their place, but not when what they represent keeps changing.

Jessell Alert: Spectrum Auction Terribly Sick

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/99893/jessell-alert-spectrum-auction-terribly-sick

Can you believe this? A year ago, the FCC teased broadcasters with prospective incentive auction opening bids for TV stations ranging from $900 million to $1.2 million. Now, going into Stage 4, with the money broadcasters want and what wireless carriers are willing to pay far, far apart, there's a possibility the whole enterprise may come to naught. If so, the wireless industry should be made to reimburse the FCC for the millions (tens of millions?) of dollars that the agency has spent creating, designing and executing the auction over the past seven years
Now we're finally getting somewhere... ;)

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Round 24 (of up to 52-54) begins at 1PM. We should know the price for 84 MHz in the middle of the month some time.

- Trip

I wonder if the next Congress will move quickly to rescind the whole mess.

Yeah, I know. Money doesn't talk- it swears.

I am not sure that the next congress will consider it significant enough for it to be on their radar. When I speak to people about this they generally do not believe the whole thing. (Are you saying my beloved Ch. 50 will go away?????) and they do not pressure congress.

Heck most folks think that I amsome sort of voodoo practitioner when i tell them about PSIP data

Hate to rain on your parade, but...

"The most important challenge for the Commission over the next ten weeks is to ensure a successful broadcast incentive auction."
This sounds like desperation that the repack was slipping away.

One month later Wheeler resigned so maybe he wasn't envisioning the desired outcome either.

In fairness to Mr. Wheeler, I wonder what the committee and subcommittee thought the FCC chair could/should do to foster a positive outcome.

This sounds like desperation that the repack was slipping away.

I didn't get that impression.

One month later Wheeler resigned so maybe he wasn't envisioning the desired outcome either.

Or it could be as simple as that Tom Wheeler was a political appointee and a new administration means there will be a new Chairman of the FCC Commission, so he didn't wish to wait around.

In fairness to Mr. Wheeler, I wonder what the committee and subcommittee thought the FCC chair could/should do to foster a positive outcome.

Sounded to me like a bipartisan desire to continue the status quo. Face it, folks, regardless of the desire of those of us who appreciate OTA television, the spectrum auction train has left the station and is rolling down the tracks. Nobody in Congress or the Trump Administration is going to stop it. It is up to the broadcasters and the wireless providers to determine how much spectrum will be repurposed. I hope that it will be as little as possible.

Or it could be as simple as that Tom Wheeler was a political appointee and a new administration means there will be a new Chairman of the FCC Commission, so he didn't wish to wait around.
What makes you think that with Wheeler's background, he wouldn't be favorable to the incoming administration?
Sounded to me like a bipartisan desire to continue the status quo.
Both Upton and Walden are Republicans so I'm not sure where you get the "bipartisan" idea.
Face it, folks, regardless of the desire of those of us who appreciate OTA television, the spectrum auction train has left the station and is rolling down the tracks.
If you look at what's been happening thus far, it looks like the tracks may end on a siding. It isn't the politicians that are at the switch here but a wireless industry that has shown a righteous unwillingness to pay more money for less spectrum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)