Incentive Auction Discussion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is there a timeframe yet for when the affected stations would have to change? Didn't see that in the article unless I just overlooked it.

So in Beaumont, that would affect channel 4 Fox because it is on digital 40 uhf. So maybe they will move back to Vhf 4. Vhf is better in my opinion any way.

Here in El Paso, there is one religious station and two Spanish channels above 29. They could probably find a way to "share" with a major broadcaster. But, just across the river in Juarez there are six channels above 29. According to Rabbitears ,three of them are already making plans to move from the 41 -50 range down into the 30's. I don't see any way all of them could be crowded into 14-29 and they would surely balk at all being forced back down into VHF. Have any members read whether any plans have been coordinated with Mexico or Canada?

Mexico only agreed to clear down to channel 37, so yes, there could be an issue if the auction closes at a value higher than 84 MHz. But many of those licenses aren't being sold at all, so it won't be that much of an issue.
- Trip
Thanks, so that explains why the three stations in Juarez in the 41-50 range are planning on moving into the low 30's. I also suspect there is not as much demand for "wireless" use in this area as some larger metro areas. It could be more complicated in San Diego.
I also found the following link answering my concerns about the four translators above 29 in Alamogordo, NM and others in Las Cruces and Deming. https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-336928A1.pdf

Regarding Mr. B's web link: Where else can you find a deadline that is based on 12 months after 39 months after the completion of an long and drawn out auction?

In my mind, many translators operate in areas where there is too little wireless traffic to worry about.

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I haven't heard anything in my dma, however I suppose Delta Media can share KLWB 50.1 METV and KXKW 32.1/32.2 with 22.1 KDCG. KATC is at 28, KPLC is on 7, KLFY is on 10 and the KADN trio is on 16. Hopefully KALB 5 out of Alexandria stays within the 14-29 range.

Albuquerque's TV market stations above rf channel 29 are KTVS-LD on rf ch. 36 KRTN-LD on rf ch. 39 KLUZ-DT on rf ch. 42 KNMQ-DT on rf ch.43 and KASY-DT on rf ch. 45.

These stations may have to move down below rf ch. 29. That yet remains to see.:facepalm

At our location in central PA we are able to receive 7 stations. Of them, WYOU 22 and WBRE 28 are RF 13 and 11 respectively so they won't have to move. WNEP 16 (rf 50), WSWB 38 (rf 31) and WOLF 56 (rf 45) have all filed and been granted digital reassignment petitions so apparently they are planning on staying on the air.

http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&call=WNEP-DR&arch=
http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&call=WSWB-DR&arch=
http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&call=WOLFTV&arch=

Our other two stations, WVIA 44 (rf 41) and WQPX 64 (rf 32) have not filed reassignment petitions yet. Unsure when the cut off is so I guess their future is uncertain at this point.

Unsure when the cut off is so I guess their future is uncertain at this point.
It sounds like everything hinges on the results of the reverse auction (Auction 1000). At that point, the size of the TV band will be nailed down.

Combining the complex deadlines with events that will almost certainly be delayed creates a lot of uncertainty. It seems odd that the industry needs weeks of training to engage in an auction. Then again, the auction is designed to remove TV bandwidth which seems incomprehensible.

It's the rush to convert something that cost nothing to the consumer, into something more that the consumer has to pay for.
Remember back when 'free checking' was actually free.
Now what's called 'free' checking, the box of 200 checks is free, and you're charged $29.95 'shipping'. By weight, size, and delivery, even FedEx overnight rate is only $8.50

Current plans call for Channel 6 to remain as TV but AM broadcasters are lobbying that it should be repurposed for radio.
If any broadcast audio had a claim, it would seem to be FM that is already adjacent to channel 6. FM is a much more cooperative and predictable modulation scheme as the power level is constant.

Reactions: Foxbat and navychop
Baltimore will be greatly impacted by this auction.

WMAR (2) on 38 (ABC)
WMPT (22) on 42 (PBS)
WUTB (24) on 41 (MY)
WBFF (45) on 46 (FOX)
WNUV (54) on 40 (CW)

Current plans call for Channel 6 to remain as TV but AM broadcasters are lobbying that it should be repurposed for radio.

I should have said SOME AM broadcasters are lobbting. for that . It certainly si not all of them.

Baltimore will be greatly impacted by this auction.

WMAR (2) on 38 (ABC)
WMPT (22) on 42 (PBS)
WUTB (24) on 41 (MY)
WBFF (45) on 46 (FOX)
WNUV (54) on 40 (CW)
Portland has ABC, CBS and CW up pretty high. Fox, PBS and NBC are on their old VHF channels already.

If any broadcast audio had a claim, it would seem to be FM that is already adjacent to channel 6. FM is a much more cooperative and predictable modulation scheme as the power level is constant.

The AM stations affected want channel 6 to be used as FM with them receiving translators there.

BTW I am not really saying they have a claim----just that they want it. I want a lot of things too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)