Incentive Auction Discussion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The AM stations affected want channel 6 to be used as FM with them receiving translators there.
The AM stations affected by what? Seems like they have all sorts of options now.

TV is clearly taking a gut punch and they're piling on? I believe commercial AM radio is going to need all the friends it can get going forward.

Hey Trip......Where is Iceburg at.....he doesn't usually stay off the boards for this amount of time
There was an explanation posted in the Pub about Iceberg. He was doing some things that Scott didn't like and was asked to stop. He then blew up at Scott and the rest you can guess at.

Back on subject, for those who want to follow it, here's the FCC's public reporting system for the Incentive Auction.
There's only information about the schedule that could just as easily been done as a static text page. Perhaps an interesting web programming exercise (it uses javascript to update itself every ten seconds). Otherwise, not particularly informative (near the completion of day 2).

It'll be more useful in the forward stages. The reverse stages have pretty strict confidentiality rules on them.

- Trip

Current plans call for Channel 6 to remain as TV but AM broadcasters are lobbying that it should be repurposed for radio.

You've gotta be kidding me. No offense to the hundreds of Americans who enjoy AM radio, but in my opinion no way should we be ceding any more of our public airwaves to that outdated technology. Heck, once ATSC 3.0 is implemented, I'd like to see us convert AM and FM spectrum over to ATSC 3.0 too, with a few year's notice. Why even have analog broadcasts any more? ATSC 3.0 can carry digital audio just as well as it carries digital TV. If the FCC made that move, they could stipulate that a certain number of ATSC 3.0 licenses are for audio-only broadcasts (and maybe also a certain number for local independent and/or noncommercial broadcasters). Why have separate receivers for TV, FM and AM? Cars and various devices of the future could have a single ATSC 3.0 receiver that gets all kind of local broadcasts.

Didn't someone knowledgeable post that there really wouldn't be much bandwidth savings by making radio digital?

And if we were to change, wouldn't it make more sense to go with a worldwide standard?

Didn't someone knowledgeable post that there really wouldn't be much bandwidth savings by making radio digital?

And if we were to change, wouldn't it make more sense to go with a worldwide standard?

Why a worldwide standard specifically for radio? So you can take your radio receiver with you when you fly overseas? Granted, there are economies of scale for equipment costs to be had the more people there are using a standard but the US is a huge market already, and if we're going to switch to ATSC 3.0 for TV, why not radio too?

Whether or not there would be any bandwidth savings from making radio digital, there would be an increase in audio quality. (Ever noticed how digital satellite radio sounds better than FM?) And if it were over ATSC 3.0, there's no reason those audio broadcasts couldn't be embedded with rich graphics and metadata; think album cover art and upcoming tour dates for an artist while his song plays, think 5-day weather forecast icons, think local traffic map, etc. That stuff could display on the infotainment screen in your car while you listen. And if the car were put into auto-driving mode, the screen could switch to showing OTA TV channels too. All through a single receiver.

Whether or not there would be any bandwidth savings from making radio digital, there would be an increase in audio quality. (Ever noticed how digital satellite radio sounds better than FM?)

I've noticed it sounds significantly worse. Whenever I hear it, it sounds tinny and miserable. Give me FM any day of the week.

In any case, going all-digital for FM is a non-starter. There's no data on how ATSC 3.0 works on low-VHF at this point, and any digital standard is likely to be significantly less reliable than analog radio is today. (See IBOC.) And that's not even mentioning battery drain in emergency situations.

- Trip

A number of countries around the world are transitioning over to digital radio. In fact, Norway is shutting down all analog FM radio broadcasts next Jan. (except for a few small local stations that will have the option to continue broadcasting over FM). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_using_DAB/DMB

That said, I'm not really sure how much of a future broadcast radio has. Do young people even listen to FM radio any more given their access to Spotify, Pandora, etc? The future doesn't look great for broadcast TV but I'd say it's even worse for broadcast radio...

Reactions: reddice and . Raine
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)