Indiana/Indianapolis area VOOMERS

nicklew98 said:
Talked to Magic Satellite, my installer, and they said they have at least 50 Voom installs with no equipment.

This could take a while...

I am probably one of those 50. Had an install scheduled for this past Saturday, and no one showed up (or even called to reschedule). Called Installs Inc, and was told basically the same thing that Voom told me, "The installer will call to reschedule". And from hearing horror stories from someone that had Magic Satellite install Voom for them (3 attempts, anyway), make sure everything works BEFORE you let them leave.

Finally called Installs, Inc. direct, and have a new install date of 6/22, but not with Magic Satellite, but with one of "their" installers. Only gave me the guys name, not company name or phone number.

nicklew98 said:
Today is the day, b/w 12-5. My fingers are crossed. Couldn't ask for a nicer day weather-wise to do an installation!

nicklew98
I can tell you there is a installer that will be there today his name is Steve
He will do you a good job for you You will be vooming this afternoon

TYORK said:
nicklew98
I can tell you there is a installer that will be there today his name is Steve
He will do you a good job for you You will be vooming this afternoon

Steve is the man. Anyone in the Indy area (60 mile radius or so) should try to request this man. Got a 94 signal on a cloudy day (cloudy enough to spit rain here and there.) Only thing he couldn't do was get my OTA's up and running, and that is due to being 50 miles from the towers. Poor Winegard Sensar antenna could only get to a 20 signal strength. Called Voom, will be getting an upgraded antenna on July 8th (with some arm pulling...clearly they do not want to do this anymore.)

Thank you Steve!!!

Indianapolis Install

Hi everyone,

Well, it's been three weeks since the start of my Voom installation, and today it finally finished. I have to say first that I think Adant Satellite is the worst company I've ever dealt with. Their installers were unprofessional and they had no idea what they were doing. Their home base in Merrillville is also unorganized and, at times, rude as well.

Here's a recap:

- July 4th: I order Voom from their web site. I was able to schedule an installation for July 12th in the morning. I got lots of email confirmation messages from Voom regarding the time, as well as phone numbers for Adant. So far, so good!

- July 12th: The install is scheduled from 8-12. The installer calls at 11:40 and says he's on his way and will be there shortly. He arrives at 1:45 p.m. (it's a good thing I took a full day of vacation). He begins the setup, and does a nice job with the dish, but a poor job with the antenna. I asked for an attic installation, but the guy said that wasn't possible with digital antennas, and that they had to be mounted outdoors. Instead, he mounted it on the lowest corner of my house near the gutter. It was obvious that the 350 pound guy didn't want to climb up on my roof or into the attic to do it properly.

After the hardware was installed, he (and his wife... ) came in and tried to get the box set up. Even though I did all the wiring to my RPTV, we weren't able to get an HD image through the component inputs. The coaxial input is working fine, and he insists this is good enough and his how he's hooked up all his other customers' hi-def Voom systems. Uggh.

We reboot the box, and the component output is working fine. I try to explain how the different outputs work to him, but he's obviously looking to leave since it's almost 5:00 at this point.

The Voom channels look great. The HD is awesome, and the SD is so much better than Comcast. From the antenna, I'm only receiving WISH 8 (CBS) at this point. The installer assures me the rest will magically start tuning themselves in later (read: I want to go home).

July 14th: I call Adant, and tell them about the problems with my OTA signal. They have me call Voom to get authorized for a SquareShooter antenna upgrade,which I do, and then they schedule the same installer to come back on Friday the 16th in the afternoon. Since I have a 9-5 job, I ask that the installer call me when he's on his way, so I can leave work and meet him at home. I also ask for my cable TV to be reconnected so I can run limited basic cable service into the TiVO. No problem they say - $50 charge but they can do it.

July 16th: I wait all afternoon for the phone call. Nobody calls. At 4:45, I call Adant, who in turn calls my installer. The installer had already come to my house while I wasn't there, relocated the existing antenna to a higher point on the roof, and left. No SquareShooter, no testing of the change, no cable wiring. Luckily, I'm now able to receive a few more OTA channels, but not all of them. Sigh.

July 19th: I call Adant, yet again. Explain it all. "Eddie" will call me back.

July 20th: Eddie hasn't called me back, so I call again and ask for a manager. I explain things again. Manager seems dismayed, and promises to send someone else out who can finish the job. We schedule for Friday, July 23 between 12 and 5, with the installer instructed to call me at work when they are on their way. Yippee!! Progress!!

July 23rd: I wait all afternoon at my desk. No phone call. I call Adant at 3:45 and ask why I haven't heard anything. They contact the new installers, and tell me that they are on their way as we speak. So, I sped home and managed to get there before they arrived. The two installers arrived (one of whom had very strong body odor) and started to work. They had a new antenna (though not a SquareShooter), and installed it. They also ran my cable lines. Curiously, they mounted the antenna directly behind my chimney, so it was nearly completely blocked in the direction of the towers. Installer #1 explains that he's new to antennas, and doesn't really know much about how the digital ones work. I ask him if he's done many Voom installs, and he said he's hooked a few up, but he just hands the customer the user guide and the remote since he has no idea how the system works. Nice....

So, we check the OTA reception. Signal strengths are lower across the board. The installer gives me the sage advice that I should just wait for awhile, and that the channels may start coming in later. You guessed it -- it's going on 6:00 at this time and it's clear he wants to go home (installer #2 is sitting out on the porch with his head between his hands, perhaps napping).

I let them go. I've got my cable reconnected to the TiVO now, which is good. But the OTA reception is far worse than it was, and my house stinks. I vacuum the entire place and spray Febreeze throughout.

July 27: I contemplate calling my friends at Adant back, but I just don't have the time or the inclination to waste any more time. I call Ovation and ask for some help with my OTA antenna installation, and they refer me to a guy named Jim Daniel at Attic Antenna. I give Jim a call, and we set up an appointment for today (Saturday, 7/31) at 9:00.

July 31: Jim arrives on time. I show him what's been done. Jim goes to work. Two hours later, he has installed the OTA antenna equipment completely in my attic (nothing outside or visible), run the cabling neatly down my garage wall on the inside, next to the furnace, through the crawspace to the back of the house, and connected into the Voom equipment. All the wires are completely hidden, and it's clean and neat. I can now receive every Indianapolis channel with very strong signal strength, and he removed the old antenna from Adant along with their sloppy wiring that ran down the sides of my house.

Yeah, I had to pay for Jim's service, but now everything is working perfectly. You get what you pay for, I guess.

I really hope that either Voom or Installs, Inc. wise up and realize what a racket Adant has going. These bozos must be getting checks for every service call they make on behalf of Voom, but they clearly don't know the product, nor do they instill a sense of professionalism in their employees.

Thumbs up for Voom.
Thumbs WAY UP for Attic Antenna, Inc. and Jim.
Thumbs WAY DOWN for Adant Satellite.

Jeff
Indianapolis, IN

I live in Connersville 60 miles away from Indy to the SE . I have a winegard sensor 2 and I can't get anything on it they switched me to cincinnati which is 45 mile and still nothing, They then switched me to Dayton and I get two stations. I called voom they are going to up grade my antenna FRi. hopefully Ill get Indy stations

Good luck. I have 1 ota channel. I have a terrible antenna, and haven't been able to upgrade past the 'wing' yet. New update did nothing but remove the 1 channel I was getting. Now there is this bug in the system where my ota strength varies wildly from 81 to 0 on sat stations. This whole thing has been handled and tested poorly. I will be calling soon to see if they can fix the ota thing 1 more time.

BTW, how much was a professional ota installer?

JEFFinINDY said:
Hi everyone,

Well, it's been three weeks since the start of my Voom installation, and today it finally finished. I have to say first that I think Adant Satellite is the worst company I've ever dealt with. Their installers were unprofessional and they had no idea what they were doing. Their home base in Merrillville is also unorganized and, at times, rude as well.

Here's a recap:

- July 4th: I order Voom from their web site. I was able to schedule an installation for July 12th in the morning. I got lots of email confirmation messages from Voom regarding the time, as well as phone numbers for Adant. So far, so good!

- July 12th: The install is scheduled from 8-12. The installer calls at 11:40 and says he's on his way and will be there shortly. He arrives at 1:45 p.m. (it's a good thing I took a full day of vacation). He begins the setup, and does a nice job with the dish, but a poor job with the antenna. I asked for an attic installation, but the guy said that wasn't possible with digital antennas, and that they had to be mounted outdoors. Instead, he mounted it on the lowest corner of my house near the gutter. It was obvious that the 350 pound guy didn't want to climb up on my roof or into the attic to do it properly.

After the hardware was installed, he (and his wife... ) came in and tried to get the box set up. Even though I did all the wiring to my RPTV, we weren't able to get an HD image through the component inputs. The coaxial input is working fine, and he insists this is good enough and his how he's hooked up all his other customers' hi-def Voom systems. Uggh.

We reboot the box, and the component output is working fine. I try to explain how the different outputs work to him, but he's obviously looking to leave since it's almost 5:00 at this point.

The Voom channels look great. The HD is awesome, and the SD is so much better than Comcast. From the antenna, I'm only receiving WISH 8 (CBS) at this point. The installer assures me the rest will magically start tuning themselves in later (read: I want to go home).

July 14th: I call Adant, and tell them about the problems with my OTA signal. They have me call Voom to get authorized for a SquareShooter antenna upgrade,which I do, and then they schedule the same installer to come back on Friday the 16th in the afternoon. Since I have a 9-5 job, I ask that the installer call me when he's on his way, so I can leave work and meet him at home. I also ask for my cable TV to be reconnected so I can run limited basic cable service into the TiVO. No problem they say - $50 charge but they can do it.

July 16th: I wait all afternoon for the phone call. Nobody calls. At 4:45, I call Adant, who in turn calls my installer. The installer had already come to my house while I wasn't there, relocated the existing antenna to a higher point on the roof, and left. No SquareShooter, no testing of the change, no cable wiring. Luckily, I'm now able to receive a few more OTA channels, but not all of them. Sigh.

July 19th: I call Adant, yet again. Explain it all. "Eddie" will call me back.

July 20th: Eddie hasn't called me back, so I call again and ask for a manager. I explain things again. Manager seems dismayed, and promises to send someone else out who can finish the job. We schedule for Friday, July 23 between 12 and 5, with the installer instructed to call me at work when they are on their way. Yippee!! Progress!!

July 23rd: I wait all afternoon at my desk. No phone call. I call Adant at 3:45 and ask why I haven't heard anything. They contact the new installers, and tell me that they are on their way as we speak. So, I sped home and managed to get there before they arrived. The two installers arrived (one of whom had very strong body odor) and started to work. They had a new antenna (though not a SquareShooter), and installed it. They also ran my cable lines. Curiously, they mounted the antenna directly behind my chimney, so it was nearly completely blocked in the direction of the towers. Installer #1 explains that he's new to antennas, and doesn't really know much about how the digital ones work. I ask him if he's done many Voom installs, and he said he's hooked a few up, but he just hands the customer the user guide and the remote since he has no idea how the system works. Nice....

So, we check the OTA reception. Signal strengths are lower across the board. The installer gives me the sage advice that I should just wait for awhile, and that the channels may start coming in later. You guessed it -- it's going on 6:00 at this time and it's clear he wants to go home (installer #2 is sitting out on the porch with his head between his hands, perhaps napping).

I let them go. I've got my cable reconnected to the TiVO now, which is good. But the OTA reception is far worse than it was, and my house stinks. I vacuum the entire place and spray Febreeze throughout.

July 27: I contemplate calling my friends at Adant back, but I just don't have the time or the inclination to waste any more time. I call Ovation and ask for some help with my OTA antenna installation, and they refer me to a guy named Jim Daniel at Attic Antenna. I give Jim a call, and we set up an appointment for today (Saturday, 7/31) at 9:00.

July 31: Jim arrives on time. I show him what's been done. Jim goes to work. Two hours later, he has installed the OTA antenna equipment completely in my attic (nothing outside or visible), run the cabling neatly down my garage wall on the inside, next to the furnace, through the crawspace to the back of the house, and connected into the Voom equipment. All the wires are completely hidden, and it's clean and neat. I can now receive every Indianapolis channel with very strong signal strength, and he removed the old antenna from Adant along with their sloppy wiring that ran down the sides of my house.

Yeah, I had to pay for Jim's service, but now everything is working perfectly. You get what you pay for, I guess.

I really hope that either Voom or Installs, Inc. wise up and realize what a racket Adant has going. These bozos must be getting checks for every service call they make on behalf of Voom, but they clearly don't know the product, nor do they instill a sense of professionalism in their employees.

Thumbs up for Voom.
Thumbs WAY UP for Attic Antenna, Inc. and Jim.
Thumbs WAY DOWN for Adant Satellite.

Jeff
Indianapolis, IN

Hi Jeff!

I'm surprised that Adant was involved with your install. My post shown below (others can be found by using "rickaren") was way back in March and I may have been one of the first 2,000 VOOM customers. Since I live in Noblesville somehow I was assigned to Adant, too. However Installs, Inc came out later to inspect their work and stated they were now trained and would do the VOOM installs in Indianapolis, in the future. I did not have the issues you did with OTA, and received everyone of Indy channels (except 4-1 which I have with DirecTV). I guess you do have an attic antenna that you paid for, however. Good Luck, and if you have any questions please contact me.

03-27-2004, 05:17 PM
rickaren
Registered User Join Date: Mar 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Noblesville Indiana just North of Indianapolis and my installer worked for Adant Wireless in Chicago! He drove to my home from another install for 136 miles, one way and completed the job in the dark @ 9:30 PM. My Wife figured it would be after midnight before he got home! Don't understand why they wouldn't have just sub-contracted to a Indianapolis Firm, but they didn't. Happy with VOOM!

nicklew98 said:
Good luck. I have 1 ota channel. I have a terrible antenna, and haven't been able to upgrade past the 'wing' yet. New update did nothing but remove the 1 channel I was getting. Now there is this bug in the system where my ota strength varies wildly from 81 to 0 on sat stations. This whole thing has been handled and tested poorly. I will be calling soon to see if they can fix the ota thing 1 more time.

BTW, how much was a professional ota installer?

The price for his standard installation is a flat $275. I had him do some extra work (added a second antenna and some filtering equipment) so that I could also receive WNDY 23 at my location, which cost an extra $100.

So the only local I cannot receive from the antenna is WTTV 4, which I guess is being broadcast from Bloomington. Since I've kept my $12.95 basic cable feed to get the $15 internet discount, it's not a problem.

The installer said that WTTV might be adding a broadcasting tower near Muncie, and if so I would have a much better chance of receiving it from the antenna here on the north side of Indianapolis.

Jeff

rickaren said:
I'm surprised that Adant was involved with your install. My post shown below (others can be found by using "rickaren") was way back in March and I may have been one of the first 2,000 VOOM customers. Since I live in Noblesville somehow I was assigned to Adant, too. However Installs, Inc came out later to inspect their work and stated they were now trained and would do the VOOM installs in Indianapolis, in the future. I did not have the issues you did with OTA, and received everyone of Indy channels (except 4-1 which I have with DirecTV). I guess you do have an attic antenna that you paid for, however.

Interesting...

My original Adant installer did a good job with the dish. None of them seem to know much about the Voom receiver, HDTV, or antenna installations though.

Now that it's all in and working, I am really pleased with Voom. I'm saving a little bit of money over Comcast and I'm getting a bunch of channels like IFC and Fuse that Comcast doesn't offer.

I think I would like to find a bigger dish, though... the satellite signal seems to get lost pretty quickly in moderate (non-severe) storms. What's been your experience in the last few weeks of stormy weather?

Hi Jeff:
Don't alway have VOOM on. Use TiVO with DirecTV the most, so I don't watch "Live TV". Still very happy with VOOM, and Wife likes it, too. We may end up with an up-graded larger dish for free so don't spend anymore of your time and money on that issue. If you are having a problem call VOOM. Think VOOM is going to make some major changes and since I have both DirecTV & VOOM I have the best of both. Rain fade has not been an issue for me, but if they would bring a DVR out I could and would cut back my DirecTV programing. We watch some really old shows on VOOM in HD, and really enjoy them. Strange but true. Hang in there and hopefully you can laugh about problems you had getting started with VOOM in a few months!

gross67 said:
I just had a new OTA antenna installed and am now getting the following stations:

Nine out of the Fifteen listed on my PG. (Not too bad) Is anyone getting any of the others? I'd love to get 4.1 - the Pacers were playing last night and I couldn't watch! :( My installer said the he hasn't known anyone to get 4.1. Maybe in the future ..... I thought I'd start this thread for all the Hoosiers out there.

Cheers,
James
:welcome
Jus had mine installed an the installer was surprised that I am also getting channel 40 .... Is anyone else getting this channel, she said shed not seen 40 pop up since she's been istalling the systems
C

JEFFinINDY said:
I'm getting 23 (UPN), but no 4 or 40....

Jeff
Have you checked the signal strength for the off the air channels?

They gotta come back an treak mine it's only at 38 percent an will not lock until it reaches 85 percent

Choochie said:
Have you checked the signal strength for the off the air channels?

They gotta come back an treak mine it's only at 38 percent an will not lock until it reaches 85 percent

Choochie
Just want to let you know if we come back out and adjust your antenna to get channel 23 than you are going to loose the rest of you local. Channel 23 is at 22 degrees and the rest of you locals are from 325 to 328 you would loose all of what you have not to get channel 23.

Tyork

TYORK said:
Choochie
Just want to let you know if we come back out and adjust your antenna to get channel 23 than you are going to loose the rest of you local. Channel 23 is at 22 degrees and the rest of you locals are from 325 to 328 you would loose all of what you have not to get channel 23.

Tyork

Gotcha T, I jus figured that the lack of sig strength is the reason my locals reception is lacking.

TYORK said:
Choochie

Tyork

The guy who installed my antenna put in a second antenna pointed at a different direction along with a filter, so I could get 23 along with the rest of the locals (I decided to hire an expert in antenna installations to do mine so I could get 23, and so I could have it installed in the attic and not visible or exposed to the elements).

Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts