Indoor HD antenna - 30 mile range?

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Apr 12, 2006
The CM antennas are outdoor antennas. But because they are basically flat, rather than having a large boom length like VHF/UHF combo antennas, quite a few people use them indoors, particularly if they can put them in a "spare" room. They are also great for attic mounting if you have the headroom because they can be aligned in very little space...

GrumpyGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 17, 2006
Northeast Ohio
It has been my experience that, in fringe areas, the biggest bang per buck comes from a decent quality signal amplifier at the antenna. Locating the amp at the antenna lets the amp see the highest possible signal to noise ratio - noise induced into the feed line is not amplified as it would be if the amp was located at or near the receiver - two-piece "bullet amplifiers" are readily available in the 20-30 dollar price range.

If Firebuff has accessible attic space, that is where I would want to put his UHF antenna. I would let the clearance space in the attic dictate the type and size of antenna selected. Although I would initially install the antenna without a rotor, I would select an antenna small enough to clear all obstacles when/if a rotor is added.

So ... coax run from receiver to attic antenna. Experiment different antenna headings. If this does not produce a satisfactory signal on all desired channels, try adding an amplifier. If you are still not satisfied, add a rotor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts