Inflatable C-Band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wanderer189

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
US
I happened to run across this about an inflatable c-band dish and post for others that may be interested....Can you imagine these popping up in backyards everywhere...lol

World’s First Inflatable 2.4 Meter C-Band Inflatable Satellite Antenna displayed at Satellite 2010
Huntsville, Alabama, March 16, 2010 – GATR Technologies announced today the public launch of its 2.4 meter (m) C-Band Satellite Antenna System (an inflatable, deployable, large-aperture, satellite antenna terminal) at the Satellite 2010 Show at the Gaylord National Convention Center, National Harbor, Maryland.

GATR has been fielding the FCC approved C-band antenna since August 2009, however, this is the first commercial/public showing of the C-band technology. C-band capability adds to GATR’s existing FCC approved 1.8 and 2.4 meter Ku-Band inflatable antenna systems and expands GATR’s coverage in remote areas of the world. GATR also plans to introduce its X-Band units later this year. GATR will also have on display the up-and-coming 4.6m and .9m antennas throughout the week with deployment demonstrations daily.

C-Band typically requires larger aperture antennas (2.4 or greater) making mobility a big issue. “Our C-band terminals fit into three airline checkable cases, making this the world’s smallest footprint for a 2.4m C-band terminal,” states Larry Lowe, VP of Engineering at GATR Technologies, “The size and portability of the GATR C-band terminal is perfect for situations in remote areas of Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, and Africa. It is perfectly suited for operation in the mountains of Afghanistan.”

About GATR Antenna Terminals

The GATR Antenna terminal is a deployable inflatable satellite communication solution serving the military, public safety and broadcast sectors. GATR’s unique design enables deployment of a 1.8, and 2.4 meter terminals in as few as two airline checkable cases, simplifying transportation and set-up, and making it ideal for first-in deployments, remote applications and contingency scenarios. The patented design combines the transmission power advantages of a large aperture antenna with the low weight and portability of a small aperture antenna.

About GATR Technologies

Incorporated in 2004, GATR Technologies manufactures the inflatable satellite communications terminals. GATR’s patented, unique design enables deployment of large aperture satellite terminals in as few as two airline checkable cases, making it ideal for first-in deployments, remote applications and contingency scenarios where transportation and space are limited (includes Military, Public Safety, and Broadcast markets). GATR also provides custom engineering services in these markets. More information on GATR can be found at GATR.com - GATR.com or www.gatr.tv.

Very novel, and very portable, even though it takes 3 porters to move it, one for each suitcase. Looks like a bubble, bet they wanted it to rhyme with hubble, the hubble bubble, or hubbly bubbly, or chubbly ...

Reminds me of the "Toki umbrella" from the 70's who made a "umbrella" portable 4.5 foot C Band dish; then I got one, and sold it for $120, plus had to show the guy that it worked. Just another dish I should'a kept instead of selling it.

Good idea, specs say only good for uo to 35 mph winds. Wouln't work well here. We often have 60 to 80 mph winds. This would be fun to see how far this beach ball would fly

There is a picture on their website. It would be interesting to see one of these for the smaller dishes such as Dish Network / Directv dishes. I wonder if someone could put tin foil on the inside of a balloon (or even on the outside of one and put an lnb in front of it and pull anything in.

Well, this makes me wonder about something else. When in Romania I am located in a village that´s situated in a rather deep valley. How about an inflatable dish that can be raised like a balloon and kept in place with something based on magnetic fields? The rope could be a very thin, very low-loss coaxial cable perhaps ? :) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.