Info on DirecTV Network HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Allamand

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I have been with Dish for many years now and am thinking of going back to DirecTv. The only hold up for me is no Duluth, MN local HD's but I see now it is coming soon, sometime this year.
I really like the 5 tuner HR34, and that is why I am thinking of switching, I also have no contract with Dish at this time. Can I get Network HD, CBS, FOX HBC and ABC from New York if it is not
available to me via locally and is only in SD from Duluth, or am I only going to get the locals in SD? If the latter is the case, I will have to hold out till HD is a go.

Also, can any external hard drive be added to the HR34, and are there any fees to do so.

thanks for any info on this..
-steve

Steve
Since Duluth locals are available you cant get NY locals even though Duluth isnt in HD. I know the feeling. I use to live in Duluth and even had them when I lived here in Minneapolis but the SD channels are kinda blah looking. Throw in the fact that 3,6 and 10 do their news in widescreen but since its in SD they chop the edges off it looks even worse.

I wish they would get My9 too....Both D* and E* carry CW2 (yay :rolleyes: ) but not My9

External Drive can be added but it overrides the internal drive (doesnt work like Dish does)

guess i will what if the SD looks bad, which I had a feeling it would on a 50 screen.

Not sure, have never looked into OTA HD. It is around 75 mile drive, not sure the distance in a straight line. How far can HD be pulled in good nowadays with an antenna?

Not sure, have never looked into OTA HD. It is around 75 mile drive, not sure the distance in a straight line. How far can HD be pulled in good nowadays with an antenna?

All depends on how much antenna you use ... also, the higher the better with digital signals.
If you get an outdoor antenna (the old style) also might want to consider a rotor to turn it.

where ya located? If its a 75 mile drive one way that may be difficult.

If you're on the Iron Range most of the stations have translators up there so that may be an option

Zip is 54839 , Grand View WI

I looked online and looks to be 57 miles away, but someone closer to the towers by 9 miles tried in 09 and had no luck.

I ran a tvfool report for your area (I forget that upper WI is part of the Duluth market) and with a outdoor antenna it is possible to get them
TV Fool

10 & 8 would be easier as they are VHF Hi so those signals travel a little better but 3 & 6 & 21 are harder (they're on 33 & 19 & 17 respectively).

Status
Please reply by conversation.