Installation Begins

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robob

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Hello Folks,

David the installer is here. He says he has a HR23 but his english is not too good so we shall see. He is putting up the dish and I am going to unhook the dish network vip622. I tried to get him to give me the reciever to install but he would not. He has a nice new Dodge SVT crossover (the small one, don't recall the name) so I think he is new.

He seems very nice, we shall see how it goes.

More later,
Robert:)
PS: Got here at 8 AM! Did not expect that!

Looked in his car. All he has is a 22 and lesser models. Says the only guy with a 23 is in Dallas and I am in Houston.

I am going to see if the warehouse knows an installer close by.

Bummer. Guess I have to call DIRECTV corporate like I did with SBC when my DSL was installed in '99.

Have a fun morning,
Robert

Hopefully all goes well and is up and running shortly. I also hope for the installer that the weather is at least nice where ever you are located :)

I had a service call recently on a HR20-100 whose 2nd tuner was nearing the end of it's life cycle (http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-technical-discussions/158965-strange-problem-hr20-100-a.html). The rep that came out did a great job of listening to everything I had done in my troubleshooting prior to calling D*. He checked signal strengths then promptly replaced the receiver. Both reps that I have had from what used to be Bluegrass did great jobs and were very professional while here.

Bill

Yep, Weather is 42 degrees and sunny.

Found somebody(he also seemed nice) at Directech Southwest that is trying to find an installer with a HR23.

We unboxed the 22 and the back has scratches so I guess it is a refurb. Fuel for my fire!

I have the single line that dish network uses and David the installer says he has to run another. Another thing they need to improve on. I had SD and HD with locals from dish on a single cable. The same cable that has been there since the first DIRECTV install in '98.

Ain't this fun!?
Robert

You sound like a jerk, and I feel sorry for that tech. He should probably replace the 11 year old cable, though.

I don't really have a problem with refurbed, leased equipment. I see them more as being "tested" However if you want a specific receiver you are better off just buying it on your own from either a local retailer or online and then adding it to your account.

At this point I am more a hands on kind of person. The way I see it is if I have to pay for the equipment anyway I would rather do the install myself, that way there is no one to blame if things go wrong. The down side to that is that there is no one to blame if things go wrong, lol. If someone HAS to come out I make it as easy and smooth as possible for them. I have never installed professionally but I used to deliver appliances and televisions. I have determined that the average person doesn't know how to peoperly use a tape measure :)

Bill

I don't really have a problem with refurbed, leased equipment. I see them more as being "tested" However if you want a specific receiver you are better off just buying it on your own from either a local retailer or online and then adding it to your account.

At this point I am more a hands on kind of person. The way I see it is if I have to pay for the equipment anyway I would rather do the install myself, that way there is no one to blame if things go wrong. The down side to that is that there is no one to blame if things go wrong, lol. If someone HAS to come out I make it as easy and smooth as possible for them. I have never installed professionally but I used to deliver appliances and televisions. I have determined that the average person doesn't know how to peoperly use a tape measure :)

Bill

Yeah, I have had that thought as well. I did my original DIRECTV install in '98, even my former roomate in Charlotte who is not techincal did his. The LNB had a red light for when you found the bird. Then I bought the DIRECTIVO and put that in. I am an IT Consultant with some electronics education at the University of Houston.

As we have mentioned in other threads, no retailers seem to have the HR23.

David is mounting the dish as I type. Does not have the AM21 I ordered, does not appear to know what it is.

But what do I know, I am just a jerk.<LOL>

Y'all be cool,
Robert

Dish mounted. Wires run. About to connect the reciever to the dish.

:)

Yeah, I have had that thought as well. I did my original DIRECTV install in '98, even my former roomate in Charlotte who is not techincal did his. The LNB had a red light for when you found the bird. Then I bought the DIRECTIVO and put that in. I am an IT Consultant with some electronics education at the University of Houston.

As we have mentioned in other threads, no retailers seem to have the HR23.

David is mounting the dish as I type. Does not have the AM21 I ordered, does not appear to know what it is.

But what do I know, I am just a jerk.<LOL>

Y'all be cool,
Robert

AM21 are self install

I want a H23 wah,wah......good god,why did'nt you go to best buy and get one your self for the install.I totally agree with JDiamond. 1-IRD HD/DVR 1-KA/KU ODU=2 lines (new) from your dish a dual groundblock(grounded) and a phone line run.If you'd gotten me I would've put your appointment on hold for incorrect work order and gone to somebody else that would'nt be calling my warehouse trying to get a particular model HD/DVR.We get what we get on our vans and so do you unless we get thier and you already purchased the reciever of your choice.Kudos to that tech for letting you tie up his time.Just so you know the H23'S are having problems with trick play features you'll go to play your recordings and it with automatically display the delete yes or no option.....No specific remedy for the problem yet other than reformating and loosing everything.Have fun Jeez............Did ya at least tip the poor guy?

I want a H23 wah,wah......good god,why did'nt you go to best buy and get one your self for the install.I totally agree with JDiamond. 1-IRD HD/DVR 1-KA/KU ODU=2 lines (new) from your dish a dual groundblock(grounded) and a phone line run.If you'd gotten me I would've put your appointment on hold for incorrect work order and gone to somebody else that would'nt be calling my warehouse trying to get a particular model HD/DVR.We get what we get on our vans and so do you unless we get thier and you already purchased the reciever of your choice.Kudos to that tech for letting you tie up his time.Just so you know the H23'S are having problems with trick play features you'll go to play your recordings and it with automatically display the delete yes or no option.....No specific remedy for the problem yet other than reformating and loosing everything.Have fun Jeez............Did ya at least tip the poor guy?

MULIT TECH,

Are you guys running phone lines? That is about where I got off the rails with HSP work. IF the provided 25 ft patch cord don't do it it don't get done.

Then, as you mentioned, how are incorrect work orders handled where you are?

I was once asked to eat a no show because I was unwilling to drive 60 miles at 9:00PM to an address after the correct zip code was phoned to me.Just because the job was sent to the wrong state is no excuse for not showing up.

Here the HSPs seem to have access to any 23s available and won't share. They seem to be buggy.......the HSPs & the 23s.

Joe

I want a H23 wah,wah......good god,why did'nt you go to best buy and get one your self for the install

As I said in other posts, the BestBuy website only showed 22's so I did not try the store. Of late, retailers usually have more items/newer items on the web that are not even in the stores.

<stuff removed>

Did ya at least tip the poor guy?

Wanted to but don't carry much cash. Also, he went a bit weak at the end. He was slow to understand that there was a problem and move to fix it when most channels were not there and we had an error on both tuners. Apparently it was a connection issue with an old dish network splitter.

Having installed many computer systems and networks, I understand installer woes. I do think some installers that frequent these forums could be more understanding of customers. I for instance understand my clients want the computer to work so they can do their work. The more technical clients want the latest stable technology and I may have to explain why the latest fad (such as online apps and storage) my not be the best thing for their business.

And in case you did not see some of my other posts, even thogh I started with DIRECTV in 1998, I came back from several years at dish Network. As you may know they let one specify which receiver they get and can later upgrade upon request.

Have a fun sun.,
Robert

If I dont run phone to at least 1 (the primary) on my new installs, I'll get routed nothing but service calls and upgrades......We have to maintain a good percentage on phone lines or we wont get new installs.There are some that dont run phone and they literally run former installs,upgrades and service calls all the time only.I run phone and have low repeat sevice and SIN7 (service in 7 days) so I'm routed accordingly.Right now I've got nothing but 23's on board until they send us a giant batch of refurbs......the original post here represents only a small percentage of customers who actually know the difference between HD'DVR models.I'd be annoyed severly if my customer called my warehouse trying to get another tech to leave his route to bring a specific model to my onsite.Thats why I said I'd be long gone once that stuff started....let'em haggle it out with D*tv...I just dont have that kind of time and I dont think some installer should have to break off his route and not get paid to do a delivery for something the customer and D*tv should've agreed on before I got there.....I'd rather eat it and drive on.yeah working for an HSP is no picnic but it puts food on the table.

If I dont run phone to at least 1 (the primary) on my new installs, I'll get routed nothing but service calls and upgrades......We have to maintain a good percentage on phone lines or we wont get new installs.There are some that dont run phone and they literally run former installs,upgrades and service calls all the time only.I run phone and have low repeat sevice and SIN7 (service in 7 days) so I'm routed accordingly.Right now I've got nothing but 23's on board until they send us a giant batch of refurbs......the original post here represents only a small percentage of customers who actually know the difference between HD'DVR models.I'd be annoyed severly if my customer called my warehouse trying to get another tech to leave his route to bring a specific model to my onsite.Thats why I said I'd be long gone once that stuff started....let'em haggle it out with D*tv...I just dont have that kind of time and I dont think some installer should have to break off his route and not get paid to do a delivery for something the customer and D*tv should've agreed on before I got there.....I'd rather eat it and drive on.yeah working for an HSP is no picnic but it puts food on the table.

It is D*'s fault, I don't think the customer should be blamed for wanting the sharpest reciever.

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts