Installation Help/Suggestions

jlbrown1

Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
I recently had Voom installed. They installed the OTA that is provided with the satellite. The satellite and the OTA go into the combiner provided by Voom and then the single coax line goes into the back of the receiver into the splitter (or whatever it is called). I am talking about the square box that snaps on the back of the receiver and locks into position.

I have read that this little box that snaps on the back of the receiver supplies power to the OTA or something which is fine. My issue is the OTA provided only allows me to get 3 OTA channels. There are several more in my area, but they are further away.

I just ordered a Channel Master 3671B antenna and a Titan 2 7777 pre-amp, which has its own power supply. I am assuming I will still run the OTA and Sat through the combiner put in by the installer.

My question is this: Since the new OTA/pre-amp will have its own power source, should I remove the thingy on the back of the receiver or still use it? Or should I not even use the combiner and just run 2 cables and bring both of them into the receiver individually? Quite honest, I really don't know what to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Jason
Columbus, MS

Run two cables,no signal loss then using the "combiner" and then the "splitter".

Maybe I am a little dense...

Your message didn't make sense to me. Run two cables then use the combiner and splittler?

Jason

No,just run the two cables.

jlbrown1 said:
My question is this: Since the new OTA/pre-amp will have its own power source, should I remove the thingy on the back of the receiver or still use it? Or should I not even use the combiner and just run 2 cables and bring both of them into the receiver individually? Quite honest, I really don't know what to do.
Unless you know for sure that the OTA pre-amp is compatible with the power supplied by VOOM STB, I think you should run a separate cable to the antenna and use the power inserter provided with the OTA pre-amp.

Stb?

Dumb question but what does STB stand for and what exactly is it?

Jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)