Introducing Amiko A3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What I would be thinking if I had one here now is that a WD160 I have sitting around would have been popped right into it. This is because I am a cheap bastard and don't want to spend money on a HDD. It would instantly remind me how much nicer an internal HDD is than a USB. Then I'd bet that I quickly found that this thing was going to be the new center of all media here and I'd fork out for a big (1TB or more) and fast SATA.

I wouldn't personally throw in a SSD. A good SATA spinner should be more than enough to handle datarates of even good 4K. I also get the idea that SSD's are just like flash memory: blocks die out with use. If the drive was going to be constantly R/W I'd think a spinner would be better.

So far the only minus for me is the single output. I can't hook it to my SlingBox. :( I don't use it much but I'm sure glad I have it when I do.

The streaming video in the web interface will alleviate much of the need for a Slingbox -- as long as you've already got the channel you want to watch scanned in. I wish these Linux box makers would just use standard Unix protocols so we could just connect remotely by VNC or whatever may be the current remote-desktop protocol of choice and access the interface as we would if we were sitting in front of the TV, but they all do their own thing. (This is also why I'm NOT expecting the satellite video stream to be exposed to XBMC, as someone mentioned they were hoping for in another post. My Alien2 has the /dev/dvb or wherever pseudo-devices for the tuner control, but NOT the video stream.)

I was about to buy a Slingbox, but if similar functionality is in this box it would be a neater solution.

I guess I'll hold off until the reviews and see just how well everything works.

@ Jim,

I've found that webtv server in our old boxes provides several unconventional solutions if you dig into it a bit. If I already had a production sample here I could say 100% that I see methods beyond what Spark/Spark2 envisioned for those that are creative. ;) I'd also say many more bases are covered compared to "legacy" boxes.

For "as long as you have it scanned in" I don't see this as a A3/Spark2 issue. You'll have full control of A3 VIA HTTP locally and if you can port forward, you can do everything from anywhere. I would agree that having it already pre-configured is gonna be a ton easier than any remote ability.

@ Marytn: Sling is configurable by monkeys, pretty much any other solution outside of your LAN will require some forwarding and config skills in the router. Not hard to do for most people but at the same time not as simple as a pop-up asking you to add a FW exception.

@ Magic: There is no legacy support in this STB. It starts at 720p/50 for Europe. This won't work for you if you are looking for secondary analog outputs to "sling" or do other things with. It's HDMI or streaming out only, sorry.

I wish these Linux box makers would just use standard Unix protocols so we could just connect remotely by VNC or whatever may be the current remote-desktop protocol of choice and access the interface as we would if we were sitting in front of the TV, but they all do their own thing.

You are not the only one.

(This is also why I'm NOT expecting the satellite video stream to be exposed to XBMC, as someone mentioned they were hoping for in another post. My Alien2 has the /dev/dvb or wherever pseudo-devices for the tuner control, but NOT the video stream.)

My thinking is that it doesn't even have to "stream", necessarily. XBMC is pretty configurable when it comes to video sources, so if the recordings are placed in files that are located in a shared directory (one that is accessible as a network share) and are a format that XBMC recognizes, it should be able to access and play them. It recognizes several types of networks shares including Windows Network (SMB), Network Filesystem (NFS), Zeroconf Browser, UPnP Devices, SAP streams, etc. So if the new Andord box can share its storage directory on the local network, which should be a trivial undertaking, then XBMC should be able to access and play recordings stored there, if the format is compatible. The two big questions, then, would be "Are the recordings stored in a format that XBMC can play directly, or would they require some form of conversion?", and "Can XBMC start playing a file that is not yet completely recorded?" In other words, if you have recorded 30 minutes of a one hour program, can you begin playing it now or do you need to wait until the recording is completely finished?

A third, slightly less important consideration is the naming convention used on the files - would they be something meaningful like the time and date the recording started, maybe coupled with the transponder ID? Or would they simply be some cryptic string no human can hope to decode?

Hi Joe
Is the GPU Mali-400 MP, OpenGL ES 2.0 on this box a dual core unit or different? Sorry I couldn't find it on the Amiko A3 web site:confused:

Hi Joe
Is the GPU Mali-400 MP, OpenGL ES 2.0 on this box a dual core unit or different? Sorry I couldn't find it on the Amiko A3 web site:confused:

Since it reads as Mali-400MP I assume it is dual core especially with a dual core primary processor. Mali-400 has been around awhile so I'm pretty sure it is not the same old thing as the first one.

Also ..do the line of Amiko's do AAC audio???

Yes, all Amikos do AAC/Dolby Digital and are licensed. The A3 does DTS in addition to DD.

Since it reads as Mali-400MP I assume it is dual core especially with a dual core primary processor. Mali-400 has been around awhile so I'm pretty sure it is not the same old thing as the first one.

Yes, all Amikos do AAC/Dolby Digital and are licensed. The A3 does DTS in addition to DD.
Good to know..and thanks for the prompt reply

As of today I have permission to officially admit there is an Amiko A3 production sample here, been playing with it for a week. I lied when I said A3 is 100x the box of the XBMC thing, it is 1000x better just as it sits with early pre-release software. Spark & Amiko already asked for my request/bug list and I really had to dig to find things. At this rate by the time I arrive in Budapest near the end of the month I won't have much to do. :)

Hopefully I'll get more information on the Amiko-A3.us site this week. It has been crazy busy here between normal operations and testing A3.

I put a bunch of screencaps up on my forum but won't try and upload a bunch of 1280x720 pics here. Instead I'll upload something Satelliteguys related. When Scott mentioned there was an Android App for Satelliteguys radio first thing I did was load it on the A3. Works, looks and sounds GREAT!

satguysradio1.jpgsatguysradio2.jpg

Spark & Amiko already asked for my request/bug list and I really had to dig to find things.

Please check whether they have deinterlacing turned on in the web browser streaming video window. They don't on any release of Spark for the A2, so it looks like crap if you blow it up to full-screen.

First video/guide for Amiko A3. The first part goes over the special buttons and inputs on the remote. Second part is a live demo of voice control, air mouse and more with live satellite, netflix, XBMC, web, games etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video joe.

RF remote you check distance 150 foot ?

Nice video joe.

RF remote you check distance 150 foot ?

LOL I was thinking it is probably 2.4GHz bluetooth/dongle type of device with maybe 10m range. The A3 is currently upstairs in a corner, I am on ground level in the garage. Straight line distance is probably 40 feet and going through the floor and at least 3 walls. Turned on the remote, pressed the power button to turn on/link the A3 and have a solid blue light. A3 should be on and linked. Will find out when I go back to it but the solid blue link light is a good indicator. :)

Edit: Yup it's on and even switched my TV from Comcast to the A3 HDMI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)