Is 480p the correct output resolution for my 42" plasma EDTV (852x480)?

jkozlow3

Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma EDTV (852x480) and while it accepts 480, 720p & 1080i inputs, as I understand it, the TV downconverts everything to 480p. Is this correct?

For awhile I had my vip622 set to output 1080i, but then realized that for any content that was natively 480p/720p, that the box would just be upscaling the resolution to 1080i for the TV to turnaround and downscale it to 480p. So I figured it would be best to have the vip622 do all the downscaling once (for content higher than 480p) so that the signal didn't get processed AGAIN at the TV. All the 480p SD channels should remain unprocessed in this case, while the HD channels will be downscaled by the vip622 instead of the TV. At least the 480p/720p channels won't be upscaled to 1080i and then downscaled by the TV.

Is my assumption that 480p is the best output setting for my TV correct? I could be totally wrong in my logic here, so please correct me if I am.

Thanks!

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma EDTV (852x480) and while it accepts 480, 720p & 1080i inputs, as I understand it, the TV downconverts everything to 480p. Is this correct?

Yep.

All the 480p SD channels should remain unprocessed in this case, while the HD channels will be downscaled by the vip622 instead of the TV.

The SD channels are 480i so they are being upscaled to 480p. (Or should I say enhanced)

Is my assumption that 480p is the best output setting for my TV correct? I could be totally wrong in my logic here, so please correct me if I am.

Thanks!

I would think so. The less messing with the signal the better.

With that ancient TV (Philips from 1997 ?) hard to tell how the scaler working.
You should select time and HD channels with low motion, like poker game :) and changing resolution watch close tiny details ( hairs) on the panel.

With that ancient TV (Philips from 1997 ?) hard to tell how the scaler working.
You should select time and HD channels with low motion, like poker game :) and changing resolution watch close tiny details ( hairs) on the panel.

LOL...42" EDTV plasmas with 852x480 resolution were still readily available up until a couple of months ago ya know!

I say let your eyes be the judge... It doesn't matter what *should* the be the best way... just switch it, watch for a few minutes, then switch again, until you find the one that makes you happy. If you can't tell any difference, then it doesn't matter :) On my 720p 42" LCD, I prefer the way the 1080i signal looks to the 720p... doesn't make much sense, but that's what my eyes tell me...

I have the same TV and I set my 622 to 1080i. I prefer the Panasonic's scaler to that of the Dish receiver.

I also have a 42" Panasonic EDTV (Pro-series) and agree with the previous post that 1080i looks better than 480p. The Panasonic does a better job than most receivers in downscaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)