Is any one making money with this deal?

This is what I bought it for. Although I got the 2 movies that came with the player, plus 3 from a list of movies from amazon, then the 5 others with the rebate. For only 129$ it was too good to pass up. Even if HD-DVD disappears, the player upconverts better than any others I have seen.

2 i think have always been packed into the A3, the other 5 are the mail ins. This is just $20 below MSRP, a retail sale at this point.

I am not knocking the player, as it is what it is, good for the price.

But I have only had mine two months and the Ethernet port stopped working (I am a network guy, so yes I am sure of this). It is in the warranty that you have to pay for shipping to get it to them on a warranty repair but they waived this fee for me after talking to a supervisor and letting him know I sway hundreds of laptop buyers a year to buy Toshiba products and that wronging me would cost them if they tried to make me pay for shipping on a warranty repair (I have no love loss for Toshiba, they are good but HP is just as good or better, with a slightly higher price). They covered the shipping. I was being truthful, as I have a computer business and have referred many people and businesses to buy Toshiba, but I think with a little complaining anybody could get the shipping cost covered.

It concerns me that the Ethernet port sh*t the bed after two months. This is required for extra content on discs. The first jerk CSR I talked to at Toshiba tried to say that you don't really need the Ethernet port. He was also 5 minutes before clocking out his shift.

I am not saying I don't recommend this player. It is good for the price. I also have an Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on that works wonderfully.

Also, I did a deal where I got 10 free HD-DVDs with purchase (the two in the box, 3 more from Amazon, and 5 more by mail in rebate). The mail in rebates have yet to arrive 8 weeks later. I called and I am in the system. The lady said it takes at least the full ten weeks to get them. I purchased a PS3 at about the same time and received 5 free Blurays by mail. Those Bluray discs came weeks ago.

So in closing, this HD-DVD player isn't without its flaws. But if you can deal with a bit of hassle (slow rebate, possible Ethernet problems, slow load times) it may be worth purchasing if you are in the market for a low cost HD-DVD solution.

PS- I love HD-DVD.. I like Bluray. The war is NOT over!

A buyer today gets 7 movies free, an upconverting DVD player, and access to a lot of HD-DVD films that will probably be available for a year or 2. I am sure they are not going to burn the stockpiles of HD-DVDs. They will go to mail order. It is not a bad deal for $120.

A buyer today gets 7 movies free, an upconverting DVD player, and access to a lot of HD-DVD films that will probably be available for a year or 2. I am sure they are not going to burn the stockpiles of HD-DVDs. They will go to mail order. It is not a bad deal for $120.

Your absolutely right, but the point is, WHO is taking the loss?

Nope, I bought in at $98 once paramount screwed me over. Now that resolution is coming, I sold off all my HDDVD stock and the PS3 is going too.

Though a lot about it this week and just pulled the trigger.

Your absolutely right, but the point is, WHO is taking the loss?

My theory is that Toshiba knows Paramount and Universal are going blue, possibly next month. While they will probably continue releasing HD-DVD through the end of the year, needless to say retailers will punt HD-DVD completely. The more players they can move now the less they will be stuck with. This is just a way to recover what they can to avoid a huge writeoff.

Im sure Toshiba does. According to Penton Man, both studios have already made their Blu plans clear behind "closed doors". He said just to be patient.

My theory is that Toshiba knows Paramount and Universal are going blue, possibly next month. While they will probably continue releasing HD-DVD through the end of the year, needless to say retailers will punt HD-DVD completely. The more players they can move now the less they will be stuck with. This is just a way to recover what they can to avoid a huge writeoff.

Yeah, or at least it appears this is what may be happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)