Is Directv better?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

menton1

Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Jersey
So I just had to sign up in my wife's name to get a deal on HD upgrade. It's amazing how much better they treat new customers than existing. Something immoral about that, but the cell phone companies do the same thing! Guess it's a bean-counter thing...

I guess the installers won't care that they are replacing equipment, even though it's a "new" customer order...Any input on the wi-fi adapter they will install (FRee) so that I can use their On Demand? (Whole house DVR)

I've heard lots of propaganda on the 1080p from DTV vs. the 1080i from FIOS... Any thoughts on that? Seems the consensus is that 1080p is the way to go.

Then there's the HD quantity controversy. DTV says they have the most at 170 channels, but then FIOS tells people that they have 200.

On Demand: Does DTV have more free On Demand Content than FIOS?

The trees are growing up around my house, I know they will have to move the dish, getting a lot of digitizing in the last week since the trees got full leaves; After 8 years it's time to move the dish, I suppose.

So I still really like DTV, but is FIOS a viable alternative? What would I give up if I got FIOS?

Lots of loaded and very subjective Q&A here.

Are you saying you setup an new install where there is already service? That may very well lead to issues, so be prepared for that.

What exactly are YOUR priorities for viewing?

How many rooms are you taking about, etc?

Lots of loaded and very subjective Q&A here.

Are you saying you setup an new install where there is already service? That may very well lead to issues, so be prepared for that.

What exactly are YOUR priorities for viewing?

How many rooms are you taking about, etc?

2 Rooms. I checked the other thread about upgrading, it seems that there are few issues in doing new service in wife's name. What "Issues" specifically are you referring to?

I don't know how subjective my questions were, perhaps a bit, but they are still answerable by folks here, I believe. Answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

1080p is on PPV movies only at this point. The HD Channels are either 720p or 1080i depending on the broadcaster.
They will move the dish on a service call.

I highly doubt they will go through with the new account. If you place an order with the same address as an existing account they will cancel it. If you place an order with the same last name at the same address (or very similiar) they will at least call and start asking questions.

I would not expect what you are trying to do to work. Rather you should call and ask for a better price on an HD upgrade, which will require them to upgrade your dish anyway, thus it can be moved.

1080p is on PPV movies only at this point. The HD Channels are either 720p or 1080i depending on the broadcaster.
They will move the dish on a service call.

I highly doubt they will go through with the new account. If you place an order with the same address as an existing account they will cancel it. If you place an order with the same last name at the same address (or very similiar) they will at least call and start asking questions.

I would not expect what you are trying to do to work. Rather you should call and ask for a better price on an HD upgrade, which will require them to upgrade your dish anyway, thus it can be moved.

Hmmm. I actually got the idea to do this from this thread right here, right on Satellite Guys forum! The posters' first hand experience seems to differ with your opinion!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/242118-directv-deals-existing-customer-4.html

I can't remember anyone ever writing in and saying they tried doing that, but got caught. I'm sure some people do get away with it, but I'd bet the majority who try it don't. We just never hear about it.

For some it might be better for some it may not, it's really based on what you have an interest in both depending on subscriber have pluses and minuses

I dont know for sure, but it they may not install a new system. I had my Mom try and do it at 1 time, and I had it in my name at the same time, and they wouldn't they actually cancelled the appointment.

We do catch on we just generally ignore it unless you leave us with a huge unpaid balance and then when the spouse signs up we end up canceling the order .

This fellow says he works for DTV...

As far as "more information", I want the highest quality and quantity of HD stations; I want the full gamut of locals, and local sports channels including YES and SNY. Would like to get the CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC West feeds, in case I miss a show here in the East. Want MSNBC and Current Tv, I think these stations had issues with Fios. (But now its been solved?) Best deal and best DVR.

If DTV won't do this deal, I'll probably just switch to Fios. But that would be really dumb of DTV!

This fellow says he works for DTV...

As far as "more information", I want the highest quality and quantity of HD stations; I want the full gamut of locals, and local sports channels including YES and SNY. Would like to get the CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC West feeds, in case I miss a show here in the East. Want MSNBC and Current Tv, I think these stations had issues with Fios. (But now its been solved?) Best deal and best DVR.

If DTV won't do this deal, I'll probably just switch to Fios. But that would be really dumb of DTV!

Sorry but your NOT gonna get what your asking for in the post above from D* or E* or Fios.
You will get your LOCAL networks, you will NOT get the East AND the WEST from ANY of the providers ....

You will get the YES Network IF you reside in the NY area.... what is your ZIP CODE and we can check on that as well.

And YES, StoneCold works for D*.

Sorry but your NOT gonna get what your asking for in the post above from D* or E* or Fios.

I'm not going to get high quality & quantity of HD? What about best deal and best DVR? I already have DTV, so I know about their local sports packages...Folks were asking for "more information", so I provided it in hope of some answers...

And if this fellow works for DTV, I should have a great chance of getting service in my wife's name... why all the nay sayers?

I'm not going to get high quality & quantity of HD? What about best deal and best DVR? I already have DTV, so I know about their local sports packages...Folks were asking for "more information", so I provided it in hope of some answers...

And if this fellow works for DTV, I should have a great chance of getting service in my wife's name... why all the nay sayers?

If you already have D* why are you asking about getting the EAST and WEST feeds of networks ?

Just because SC works for D* doesn't mean he can let you have the networks your asking for and iirc, he posted a few post back about the chances of changing to your wifes name and getting service.

I think he was referring to if you did NOT already have CURRENT service at that name and address.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)