Is it the $300 that makes you "one sided"?

I will leave it at that, he thinks people that do not meet a certain age requirements are useless.
Yes I may not have a college degree yet ( I will get my associates in about a year) and going for a bachelor, even if I don't meet a certain age requirement, but just because someone is younger than you doesn't make them less knowledgeable.
I am done with this, I apologize to the mods and everyone else because this was off topic.
If you care or not do youself a favor and in the next forum you join don't share your age. And don't reveal your age within your post style.

To be honest price was an issue for a little while. I picked up an hd-dvd 360 add on from sams club for $100 a few months ago. At that price I couldn't turn it down. Yesterday my wife decided enough was enough and came home with a PS3 and a stack of blu-ray movies because she was tired of all the movies she wanted being in Blu-ray. Oddly it was The Simpsons movie that put her over the edge. She is claiming this is my xmas present but I think she bought it more for herself :D

And if one or both of the formats goes away I still have a 360 and a PS3 left. I will say I wouldnt buy a stand alone player until this "war" gets figured out.

If my wife ever did that, I would know that I must have died and gone to heaven.

Lucky, lucky man. :D :D

I suppose this is how you justify in your warped mind all those poor SOBs that bought BD standalones that cannot be upgraded and defend Sony while HD DVD had its specs together from day 1? BTW my HD-A1 has no need for upgrading until it breaks. :rolleyes:

Vurbano you crack me up. You really think that someone who can pay $1000 for early entry into the high def movie market is POOR? And you think that when a better BD player comes to the market they will not buy because they paid a $1000 for their first BD player? You really do live a shelter life.

And as for your vernarable HD-A1 with no 1080p no 24 or 30fps and loading times in measured in the time it takes to steep tea I am sure you are happy. But don't think that those of us who support BD and like the format are worried about folks like you who buy cheap and rent instead of buy and then try to make your purchase worthy buy putting down ours choice.

We are just like you Vurbano, you like HD-DVD and we like BD. Nothing wrong with that, but I am sure you will chime back in and tell us all where we went wrong.;)

If that's the case then it's not the $300 that bothers me, it's the $900+ for 3 standalones. :p

I said it on AVS--price is holding back HDM adoption not this format war.

I don't believe that price of the players is holding back adoption. I believe that price of the movies is holding back adoption. When a new DVD release can be purchased at Best Buy or Walmart for $15.99 to $17.99 and that same release on BD and/or HD-DVD is selling for $29.99 to $35.99 (twice as much money) I belive that J6P is going to stay away.

First one to get the prices down to say $22 to $24 on new releases in brick and motar sites will be the one that starts getting accepted more widely. These higher prices are what is driving away the more casual buyer. Just stand around in the high def section of any store for awhile and listen -- most J6P and their wives question the price differance between high def and DVD reguadless of format. This is where I believe the next stuggle for both BD and HD-DVD lies.

Vurbano you crack me up. You really think that someone who can pay $1000 for early entry into the high def movie market is POOR?
Your rudimentary grasp of the english language cracks me up. You think the word "poor" only has one meaning. Go back to school Joey.

Last edited:
Wow is this thread heated, I will be the dummy and buy both players I just bought the Toshiba A3 for $200.00 before x-mas and now of thinking about going and getting the Blue ray at walmart for $288.00 man am I a sucker for buying both or what, but I am a person that dont like to wait when the price is right, I will be renting movies and only buy when it's a real good movie.. Cya Slick

Wow is this thread heated, I will be the dummy and buy both players I just bought the Toshiba A3 for $200.00 before x-mas and now of thinking about going and getting the Blue ray at walmart for $288.00 man am I a sucker for buying both or what, but I am a person that dont like to wait when the price is right, I will be renting movies and only buy when it's a real good movie.. Cya Slick
If I were you I'd stay away from the cheapest Bluray player.

If I were you I'd stay away from the cheapest Bluray player.
Why? What would be the diff in it and the cheapest HD-DVD player that everyone seems to love?
There may be problems I am unaware of

OR is it simply because there is a BD player competing at a lower level and you dont want someone buying one if you can stop it?

Why? What would be the diff in it and the cheapest HD-DVD player that everyone seems to love?
There may be problems I am unaware of

OR is it simply because there is a BD player competing at a lower level and you dont want someone buying one if you can stop it?
Are you really that uninformed? Every HD DVD player standalone meets all of the HD DVD specs and will play all discs with all features. Not so with BluRay players Your lack of understanding the issues may explain some of your positions in the war.

Are you really that uninformed? Every HD DVD player standalone meets all of the HD DVD specs and will play all discs with all features. Not so with BluRay players Your lack of understanding the issues may explain some of your positions in the war.
What position? Neutrality?

In case you missed, I said there may be problems I am unaware of. Although from what I read, for most people that will buy this model (if I have the right one) anything it "lacks" would not be an issue for their needs. They just want to play BD would be my guess.

Arent there a few HD-DVD palyers that wont output 1080p? I know my add on wont (because my 360 does not have HDMI), that would be a feature that someone with a 1080p set might miss, so it goes both ways doesnt it?

What position? Neutrality?

In case you missed, I said there may be problems I am unaware of. Although from what I read, for most people that will buy this model (if I have the right one) anything it "lacks" would not be an issue for their needs. They just want to play BD would be my guess.

Arent there a few HD-DVD palyers that wont output 1080p? I know my add on wont (because my 360 does not have HDMI), that would be a feature that someone with a 1080p set might miss, so it goes both ways doesnt it?
I guess you really are that uninformed. And it is your uninformed responses that make you come off sounding to me like a smurf. Sorry I will try to overlook that from now on. As for your misunderstanding of HD DVD, I really am getting tired of explaining this to newbies but here goes. There are two main types of HDTV owners. Those that do not own a 1080p set and those that do. And the only group that it makes a difference for is the 1080p owners whose sets cannot perform inverse telecine correctly (thats a 3rd dumbass group I left out) which is a DEFECT in their equipment. All HD DVD standalone players can output either 1080p or 1080i at 60 fps which is ALL of the picture information necessary to construct a 1080p picture through inverse telecine. That is exactly why the picture on my 1080p set is identical whether it is BD from my PS3 or HD DVD from my HD -A1.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)