Is It Worth The Risk Anymore?

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
I just became a Dish subscriber last week. Tomorrow I will be getting a small problem fixed, and from there I should be good to go for a long time. I was originally planning on getting my HD locals by doing a "move" to Philadelphia until the hockey season begins (my Flyers will be blacked out there), and then another "move" to somewhere in CT for the NY HD locals because where I currently live (Columbus, Ohio) does not have HD locals. I was all "gung ho" about this idea until I saw the "audit police" thread which sounds like nothing but hell. Is Dish starting to eliminate people from doing this? Is it now becoming more of a risk then a reward to do this? I'm not one to break the BIG rules out there and I'm not going to start now. I could use some opinions, guidelines, and advice on this and how Dish feels about this as of now, not the past.

Keep your receiver plugged into a phoneline. And try not to go above 3 receivers on your account. That *should* keep the Dish "gestapo" off your tail. Otherwise you should be fine with your moves. Barring any issues with whatever city you chose being on a spotbeam not available to you in central Ohio.

in my opinion it is definitely worth the risk (which is small). just don't do anything that would attract attention to your account -- keep your receivers plugged into a phone line and you'll be fine.

How long should I wait before "moving?" If I did it after the guy comes tomorrow to fine tune something, would the csr look at my account to see that I JUST signed up? Would that be a red flag?

Just tell them they have your address wrong. Tell them that the tech called you and you had to give him directions to your 'correct address' and you would like it changed in their system so you don't have this problem anymore. But keep your real address as your billing address.

i did the move two days after i signed up for service. told the csr that my neighbor turned me in to the HOA for not filing the necessary "architectual improvement" forms and now the HOA was complaining about the location of the dish. so i took it down until i can dispute it at the next HOA meeting. in the meantime, i moved the dish and all receivers to my vacation home in ________. please update my service address but leave my billing and mailing address unchanged. csr offered to transfer me to somebody who could help with the HOA but i said i was confident i could handle it on my own -- i just needed to file the paperwork and then it would be approved and i would move the equipment back to the original location as soon as i could.

You know the more you tell in your explanation makes it look like you have something to hide, but that is very origional reason. I am sure it confused the hell out of "Susan" or "John" the csrs from INDIA. :D

Don't ask, don't tell....

If they really listened to the story...

Had my dish installed here in Ohio. Two days later, I needed to move the entire system to Connecticut because of that damn HOA.

I once moved to a city thinking I was getting their channels on spot beam. Turned out, the chart I was looking at was wrong and I couldn't get the locals I wanted. I moved to a city 200 miles south about an hour later. No questions asked. Of course, this was 4 years ago when Dish was playing "rather loose" with locals and distants in general. I moved to a location that got me Fresno + 2 distants. Went online and added the other three distants and had 6 markets on my account. No need for Sunday Ticket back then.

I moved from Austin to Houston, until i realized that i was only on the fringe of the Houston spot beam. two days later i moved to Dallas. both CSRs i spoke to (in India) could not have cared less about why i was moving, or why so frequently. So i lived in Austin, Houston and Dallas all within 2 weeks.

Downside might be if you need them to come to your house...you may need to quickly move back...or go through a retailer...

Can you get your service address changed by one of the on-line csr's?

yes, but why not just call? you are over-analyzing this. it is so easy. just call and make the switch.

a previous poster went from austin to houston to dallas in 2 weeks.

i went from greensboro (my "winter home" for acc basketball) to baltimore (where i actually live) to boston (without masn, i needed nesn for AL-East baseball) to baltimore (dish network added MASN) in less than a week and nobody ever asked a question.

make the phone call. do the "move". enjoy new hd locals. that's all there is to it. you'll never look back and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner (i know i have).

Well, as everyone here said, it was extremely easy as far as them not saying a thing. Though it took a couple extra call for them to actually turn the new locals on. One question, if you do a "move," do you get the program guide for the locals in your "new" area? I have not which will make recording shows really annoying.

Well, as everyone here said, it was extremely easy as far as them not saying a thing. Though it took a couple extra call for them to actually turn the new locals on. One question, if you do a "move," do you get the program guide for the locals in your "new" area? I have not which will make recording shows really annoying.

How would you get the new locals and not have it in the guide? That would mean no one in that local area would be getting a guide because for all purposes you now are in that area. It may take overnight for the guide to be updated.

How would you get the new locals and not have it in the guide? That would mean no one in that local area would be getting a guide because for all purposes you now are in that area. It may take overnight for the guide to be updated.

It just says "no information available" for the locals until about 30 minutes before the show begins. Tough to create Dish Passes without this information.

Run a check switch check and then let it down load the guide and you will have 9 days out with the dvr anyway.

yes -- do what ^^ says. go to menu 6-1-1 and run the check switch test. when it's done (this takes a couple of minutes), exit back to live tv and it will force a download of the guide data for your new locals (this also takes a few minutes).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts