is my dmx741 worth my time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
maine
i know this is two opposite sides of the spectrum for questions but i have been reading how adding a spacer can improve the 741s ku reception. i have one i bought a while ago laying around with a conical scaler ring and was going to try it as minibud. is it better to dump on fleebay or put it on the dish? or would my time be better spent getting a hd card for the computer? which one might bring better gains? missed hd channels on ku or a minibud trial and error?

one lizards opinion:

First, I wouldn't go mini-BUDding... since real BUDs are free for the asking...

But if I had no BUDs, it might be fun to play with.
And I wouldn't use any of the dual-band LNBFs.
I would put a C2 (or possibly a DMX242) on no less than a 1.2m dish.
And come to think of it, I've got all the following on-hand: DMX741, Ck-1, B1 Sat, and C2.
So, it's not a matter of price or delay. - :rolleyes:

Having played with USB and Pci card satellite receivers, I have a bad taste in my mouth from 'em.
How 'bout an AZbox instead?

I dont know if its a waste of time but i do know that it seems that all the ku/c LNB combos i hear about seem to have problems working well on both c and ku.Someone can make alot of money if come out with a c/ku LNB that really works great in both settings.Im going to play around with my dmx741 for awhile and if i find it a real pain! i might buy a good C LNB for my 6 ft dish.

My 741 works great on my 8 footer! When I had my mini bud I put my 241 6º to the side of my linear. A circular lnb 6º on the other side.

The mini is inactive at the moment.

Attachments

• HYPER_dish.jpg
    HYPER_dish.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 216
Anole thats what i was wondering with the pc cards if they were just as much of a headache. i am not a fan of anything that is reliant on certain operating system. i was hoping to avoid buying an hdtv and an azbox possibly if an hd sat card would offer some of the things azbox could. if i went azbox and hd which one? there are so many different types i dont know which one is best for true fta. what about the hd receiver sadoun has now for $180 is it as good as azbox? well here is how clueless i am (or a brain that misses things) i never hooked up my diseq switch this whole time! tonight i did and it jumped my qual signals 4-8 percent in heavy rain. i am learning every day. Putney if i try a minibud is there a bracket that has the 6 deg offset or does it need to be homemade?

It's best homemade. The Cband clamp I used is a sprinkler system hanger turned upside down.

Now that I'm remembering my old setup, I believe I settled on a 10º spacing. It made it easier to create new sats in my box. 83º would have to be set up as 93º or 73º depending on what side i was on. I found that USALS worked best for my motor.

Anole thats what i was wondering with the pc cards if they were just as much of a headache. i am not a fan of anything that is reliant on certain operating system. i was hoping to avoid buying an hdtv and an azbox possibly if an hd sat card would offer some of the things azbox could. if i went azbox and hd which one? there are so many different types i dont know which one is best for true fta. what about the hd receiver sadoun has now for $180 is it as good as azbox? well here is how clueless i am (or a brain that misses things) i never hooked up my diseq switch this whole time! tonight i did and it jumped my qual signals 4-8 percent in heavy rain. i am learning every day. Putney if i try a minibud is there a bracket that has the 6 deg offset or does it need to be homemade?

an azbox premium plus is over $450 + around $600 for hd tv. dvbworld new gen tuners are approximately $120. i guarantee there are just as many headaches with both. so whatever taste you got in yer mouth try keeping some cash in yer pocket. haha.

p.s. i bet the dvbworld s2 blindscan punishes the azbox s2 blindscan.

crackt out,.

An AZBox Ultra is $280 plus Shipping on EBay.
The Ultra does not have Wireless Ethernet, nor Internal Hard Drive.
Otherwise it's the same as the Prem. Plus, sans the bad Power Supply.

As for the DMX741, it works fine on my 10 foot BUD.
Since it was not specifically designed for a MiniBud, I would not expect it to perform very well.

I would figure what your necessities / goals are, and build your system to suit.

My 741 works great on my 8 footer! When I had my mini bud I put my 241 6º to the side of my linear. A circular lnb 6º on the other side.

The mini is inactive at the moment.

putney
can you tell the name of the 3 sats??? I have multiples LNB in one same dish both have never mix C & Ku Thanks

crackt your right about that. each do have their own issues. and the most money in the pocket is best:) i will check out the dvbworld s2 w blindscan for my purchase. thanks for the recommend. i doubt i will get much with the dmx on this dish but i love tinkering and will trek to the hardware store to mod the lnb with the spacer.

DMX741 / BSC621 Spacer

i doubt i will get much with the dmx on this dish but i love tinkering and will trek to the hardware store to mod the lnb with the spacer.

I "rolled" up some aluminum roof flashing to make a 1/2" spacer. Used super glue and tape to keep it from unwinding.

Both BSC621 and DMX741 now have the same focal length for C and Ku. C band is very good and Ku is good on 1.2 GeoSat Pro dish.

Attachments

• DMX741D.JPG
    DMX741D.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 229
  • BSC621A.JPG
    BSC621A.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 236
I've been using my DMX741 for almost a year now on my 10 footer. It works great, especially for the money! If you're hardcore about milking every signal strength point you can get, then a pair of commercial grade C-band LNBs would be the way to go. But for your typical enthusiast, I don't see how you can go wrong with the DMX741. I think it's a darn good LNBF, especially for the price tag.

1adam12 i never thought of using homemade metal. i am going to try stovepipe ;aying around to make that offset. it should be fun modifying. did you get the longer screws at the hardware store? i think i might be able to find the same size if possible. what did you use as the spacers for the screws?

Hillman Hardware

did you get the longer screws at the hardware store? i think i might be able to find the same size if possible. what did you use as the spacers for the screws?

If you have an ACE or True Value by you, look in the Hillman Hardware drawers for both items. Poor memory but maybe a M3 22MM long for the screws. They had 1/2" spacers in metal, got the last three. They also had plastic spacers about 1 1/4" LONG so I chucked them in the drill and used hacksaw blade to cut to length.:D

Have fun!

Adam

well here is what happened. it made the 1/2 inch bought the screws and i could get 87-99 at 63-65 percent. nothing cane in despite the settings. so the end of the night i switched back to the spitfire. i made no changes on the dish or motor but now i have nothing locked so i am back to square one. i think i didnt tighten the dish enough when i put the dmx on and it moved the settings. so nothing is locked on any sat with the spitfire. i might just give up on the dmx and do what quapo did and have a c to the side of the ku. but what was cool was locking c at any signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.