Is there a consensus about which type of fan to use for keeping the receivers cool?

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I have a 722k that is housed in a console. It gets fairly warm. I was wondering if the use of a usb powered fan is favored over the use of an ac powered fan & which brand? What about cooler pad for laptops. I would like something that does not run constantly but only when the temperature reaches a certain level.

I use a laptop cooler but many feel that a fan on the side, blowing thru, is better. Some put filters on also. Mine is in the open air, so it probably doesn't matter. Haven't heard of any that are temperature controlled, but that would seem to be easy to do. USB is fine. 120v would be massive overkill, even if you could get one that small.

I also use the laptop cooler. There is not enough room to put the Thermaltake next to m7 722. However, just checking my counters the temp is max/min/avg 122/102/114. Therre is also an ac vent behind the TV stand.

I have a 722k that is housed in a console. It gets fairly warm. I was wondering if the use of a usb powered fan is favored over the use of an ac powered fan & which brand? What about cooler pad for laptops. I would like something that does not run constantly but only when the temperature reaches a certain level.
I have tried practically every kind of fan and combination. Your absolutely worst option is to use a laptop cooler underneath the receiver. On a typical laptop, all the heat sources are facing the bottom, CPU, HD etc. (except obviously the LCD which is exposed at the top). On the Receiver, all the heat sources are on the top and above the motherboard which is covering the entire bottom of the receiver.

Nothing comes even close to this fan blower fan.JPG when taped to the rear left corner slots of the receiver sucking the hot air and blowing it out the back. You can buy it on Ebay for about $7 and the only problem is that you will have to solder a standard USB connect to it (make sure you select the 5V fan). If you use any USB fan, make sure it draws less than 1A (<5W).

Last edited:
I made an opening in the back of the cabinet, and keep the front glass doors opened a little where the receiver is located. In the opening in the rear I place a room to room fan, sometimes called a woodstove fan in that rear opening to draw air from the front out the back.
The one I use is whisper quiet and meant to run 24/7. I bought mine at a True Value Hardware store less than this link shows.It's been running virtually non stop over two years.

Amazon.com: Achla Designs Room-to-Room Minuteman Doorway Fan: Home & Kitchen

I never used a fan on any of mine. I just let them eat as they were designed.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge