Is there anyone in the Reno/Lake Tahoe area that can help me set up my system?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bluebeard123

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Truckee, CA
I have called all over the place and no one can (or wants to) help. No one does this anymore. I had a friend come over who used to do C band systems, but he wasn't much help either. Does anyone know of anyone who can help me set up and get my system running?

I have a Laub Beta 9 dish with ajak H2H mount, C & Ku. I just purchased a titanium ASC1 and and Amiko Mini HD and I also have an old 4dtv set in my garage. 10 years ago I used my 4dtv on the satellite and it worked great, so I am guessing the arc is still ok, but I just cannot figure out how to set this thing up.

I'd like to get both C and Ku bands and I have no clue how to align my dish and how to set everything up so it works. I've spent 4 hours on this already and I figured it would be less expensive time-wise, just to pay someone to do this for me.

Rick

I have called all over the place and no one can (or wants to) help. No one does this anymore. I had a friend come over who used to do C band systems, but he wasn't much help either. Does anyone know of anyone who can help me set up and get my system running?

I have a Laub Beta 9 dish with ajak H2H mount, C & Ku. I just purchased a titanium ASC1 and and Amiko Mini HD and I also have an old 4dtv set in my garage. 10 years ago I used my 4dtv on the satellite and it worked great, so I am guessing the arc is still ok, but I just cannot figure out how to set this thing up.

I'd like to get both C and Ku bands and I have no clue how to align my dish and how to set everything up so it works. I've spent 4 hours on this already and I figured it would be less expensive time-wise, just to pay someone to do this for me.

Rick
Have you tried entering your address at http://www.ftainstall.com/
This will return results of installers in your area who do Free To Air setups. :)

Yes I tried that. Most of the installers live more than 2 hours away and the ones that live locally aren't interested in work, apparently. I have left numerous messages on several of the different installer phones and the one that did call me back was working out of town for the next month and another told me that frankly, he wasn't interested in doing C & Ku Band installs. I was hoping there was a hobbiest around that I could pay to help me out.

Yes I tried that. Most of the installers live more than 2 hours away and the ones that live locally aren't interested in work, apparently. I have left numerous messages on several of the different installer phones and the one that did call me back was working out of town for the next month and another told me that frankly, he wasn't interested in doing C & Ku Band installs. I was hoping there was a hobbiest around that I could pay to help me out.
Hopefully someone on the forum from your area will reply (You may need to bump the thread a few times to keep it visible). If the dish/motor are lubricated and it is still on the arc it should not be too difficult for someone to walk you through it - just a matter of getting all the wires hooked up correctly and perhaps some fine tuning. If you are able to, upload a few picks of your dish and the lnb you are using along with any specs you know about them. Who did you purchase your ASC1 and Amiko from? If it's one of the dealers here on the forum, send them a private message asking for a little help. They are usually willing to work with someone to explain how to set the equipment up correctly. :)

Last edited:
Had a great meeting with the op last week when he dropped by to purchase an ASC1 and Amiko HD SE. We spent an hour or so at the bench and I showed him how to program an operate the two products. We preprogramed the channels from several satellites on either side of his true south satellite. The challenge with his system is that the elevation bolt was loosened on the 10' AJAK and since it hadn't been used in 10 years, we are unsure of the operation or tracking.

The op has called a few times as he and a friend attempted to align the system, but both his 4DTV and the ASC1 were not receiving a sensor pulse from the AJAK. The friend was going to attach a 12volt battery directly to the motor and test the switch count at the dish with an ohm meter.

Bluebeard123, what was the result of this test? Was there any satellite signals received on the preprogrammed 121w or 116w satellites?

Actually, Brian has been very helpful, but I am kinda slow when it comes to this stuff, and he is much brighter than I am. He explained it all at his shop, but I retained maybe 2% of what he told me. When we were dealing with the satellite on Saturday, Brian was available all day to answer questions, but I didn't want to keep bothering him, as I must have called him 5 times and I was still spinning my wheels.

So this is where we are:

1. Finally got the H2H to work (probably rust on the gears), however when it goes towards the far eastern sky, it tends to "stick" and lock up. I greased the hell out of the gears, and all other parts of the sky works great, but something weird happens when it gets to the east. My friend thought that the motor may have issues.

2. In my previous 4dtv set up, I was using a 40 year old 13" Sylvania tv, but now with this new set up with the Amiko, since there is only one coax in the back, I cannot put the Amiko in-line to the tv and the tv doesn't have a video in (too old of a set), so now I have to scrounge up a used but newer tv, maybe one with HDMI (welcome to the 20th century). So right now there is no way for me to hook up a tv. So I am dead in the water on this until I scrounge a tv.

3. I am thinking it would be much easier just to pay someone to deal with this whole thing. I have 4 hours into it and I haven't even got the tv working (and I have to go buy one that will work).

I know you can't do a rebuild on the AJAK mount, but the main shaft is probably your biggest lubrication concern. My 2nd AJAK was a lot better looking than yours is an I found the main shaft seized in it. So if you could find some spray penetrating oil and try and get some into the main shaft area right where the big gear contacts the mount.
AJAK2Dis 008.JPG

I know you can't do a rebuild on the AJAK mount, but the main shaft is probably your biggest lubrication concern. My 2nd AJAK was a lot better looking than yours is an I found the main shaft seized in it. So if you could find some spray penetrating oil and try and get some into the main shaft area right where the big gear contacts the mount.
View attachment 104746

I'll bet mine looks at least that bad. I shot it full of penetrating lube and let it sit overnight to see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Magic Static
FTA4PA- I think this tv is so old that it only has rca out jacks and nothing coming in. It's about time I get a flatscreen anyway.

The modulator would take the Red/white/yellow wire from the Amiko. (small plug on the Amiko side) Then the output of the modulator is sent to the TV via the antenna coax connector.. Tune to channel 3 or 4 on the TV (select which on the modulator) .

Spring break is a trip; however, the route is dependent on just the following. This big dish is to dream following rules the road plays back. Yes, all C Band requires IT; they have work to be done :) and it is 5-10 feet big.

Central Oregon; name where Reno/Tahoe is on the highway there \; and the road will be a travel...

Rick
I wish you all the luck in the world,could never get the asc1 to work with my 10ft ajak dish.If you look back on past post you will see lots of info on the ajak and the asc1.They don't work well together.Sorry for that news,tried everything,different sensors,different wiring,different grounding,on and on and on.Gave up and use a $35.00 v-box,and it works perfect.Best $35.00 I ever spent.Your milage may very.Keep us posted,as this is a VERY fun hobby,once you get your system up and running.

After having limited success with a local tech, Bluebeard spent a few days and late nights fine-tuning, greasing and cleaning connections. After a few more emails and telephone calls :) .... he finally got his dish tracking the arc and everything programmed a few weeks ago. Everything seems to be working fine with his setup.

Now that he has officially been bitten by the satellite bug, Bluebeard is working on adding a KU motorized dish. You can follow his new adventure in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/have-a-round-starchoice-31-dish.347430/

Last edited:
I wish you all the luck in the world,could never get the asc1 to work with my 10ft ajak dish.If you look back on past post you will see lots of info on the ajak and the asc1.They don't work well together.Sorry for that news,tried everything,different sensors,different wiring,different grounding,on and on and on.Gave up and use a $35.00 v-box,and it works perfect.Best $35.00 I ever spent.Your milage may very.Keep us posted,as this is a VERY fun hobby,once you get your system up and running.

Titanium is right, I got it working on my Ajak dish- everything is working fine. Still playing with stuff, and figured I should try the Ku side of things. Monday I will pick up a 40" dish and I ordered a Stab motor that should show up in a week or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)