IT Career question

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
IT Career question

If someone had the opportunity to go to college for a Computer IT field for say two years. What would be a good IT career to pursue? And more importantly, what IT career would the least likely to be outsourced or sent out to another country. If the person had a interest in Linux...how that figure into the equation?

Thanks...

For only a 2 year degree, I'd go with a hardware track. Help Desksupport, Networking, Server Configuration and Installation. Unless you have experience getting into programming with only a 2 year degree can be difficult. Server Configuration can include Linux depending on the company and what kind of servers they use.

Just my 2 cents having been a computer programmer for 19 years.

2 years would be like a field-service tech for many things since many things are all pc guts anymore or as stated, support desk etc. I'd also try to get experience with phone systems in those 2 years.

Anything related to Cyber Security (aka IT Security, Information Assurance, call it whatever buzzword you wish) would be my recommendation. Although public and private sector organizations outsource many security-related functions, consultants are well-paid and are generally gainfully employed. Plus, core IT Security personnel having an solid understanding of business policies and processes are not likley to be outsourced. If you are looking for further Job Security that won't be outsourced...I would advise attending a DHS/NSA acedemic center of exellence (ACE) college or univerisity, pass the CISSP certification exam, and otbain a security clearance (DoD, DoJ, DHS, etc.)...you'll be employable in the federal workforce for the next 15+ years easily.

Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS

Look at virtualization and cloud-related courses.

Hardware is getting faster (Moore law still at work) and software can't choke it anymore like it did in the Windows 95 days. Outcome - virtualization, i.e. running multiple instances of an OS (any OS in any mix) on the same box. VMWare is the leader. Most of the software to start is free, easy to practice at home. Not likely to be outsourced in the near future.

Cloud, although a buzzword for a while, is still mostly theory in the corporate market. As the likes of Dell, HP and IBM have recently learned, there is quite a bit of interest in the technology but... implemented in the local server room. Reason: confidentiality and risk to lose the data. Very unlikely to be outsourced, ever.

Those two are related. Start with the first, it might take you to the second.

Diogen.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the Security one, but if at all possible go for a 4 year degree. I have been a programmer for 12 years and have been thinking about going into security since it has become a hot commodity lately.

First a security background check is far more detailed than a firearm check. This also is an understatement as well so just keep that in mind. Now for the type of career change I would look at an area that nearly all of America needs to function but will never be able to give up. This area must also be the type of job that needs real people at an American location. I would also try and shy away from retail desktop repair as the costs of computers is so low that most consumers aren't buying warranties and would most likely buy new if something breaks. Computers have also been lasting longer as of late which also feeds on this trend.

This just causes jobs to be lost when they aren't needed anymore. I would also avoid help desk as a career (starting your career in help desk is fine though) because these jobs can be lost in a split second anytime a major political change occurs. A political change with a business is meant to mean a change of view from short term only to a balance of short and long term focus. When companies only think about short term they want to reduce costs at all costs now compared to seeing the cause and effect that move would have in the long term.

So with all the above said I would suggest a job like Server Admin, Network Admin, Network Tech etc. Something that requires knowledge and certifications that only a small subset of the population can do. Something that is very unlikely to be outsourced because most of the work and repairs must be done on-site compared to remotely. Even if some of the tasks could be done remotely it would require overseas workers that are more highly trained which isn't something they have for remote support. They aren't bringing in a person from another country even if wages are cheaper that is for sure. Beyond that most companies draw the line at giving other countries access to their internal network including its servers just because of the major security risks.

The key is to pick a job/career that won't be outsourced for very good reason, requires specific training that can't be done by just anyone off the street. After this your dependability, honesty and loyalty will decide just how far you can move up within the company and field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts