It's Official : Extra Innings Package and 24-Hour Channel Headed Exclusively to Direc

Selig mentioned last year he would be doing something about the blackouts. With the money DirecTV is paying, something certainly must have been done. I guess we'll know in April.
Really?..Hmm. A sports entity changing their blackout rules so that more territory is open to viewing?...I'l believe it when I see it...

****THIS IS FOR ALL YOU NASCAR HEADS WHO THINK WE MLB TYPES ARE OBSESSED WITH NUMBERS AND MINUTIA...OBVIOUSLY THIS ISN'T TRUE****

Shodobe said in post #57 I guess I could watch a bunch of guys make 500 left-hand turns at 200MPH

It's actually 25,254 left turns....DUH!!!!

OR

8,418 right turns (if 3 lefts make a right)

Below is my non-NASCAR obsessed brain's stab at how many left turns the left-averse Shodobe would actually watch. When it wasn't obvious or if I couldn't find anything within 30 seconds through Google (GOOG), I turned to the not-as-reliable-but-convenient "Wild Ass Guess" (WAG), and then finally used the desperate "Seriously Wild Ass Guess" (SWAG) when WAG wasn't good enough and I didn't have a clue.

Apparently 43 cars is current limit (GOOG). For this little exercise, I used the Daytona 500, held at Daytona International Speedway (GOOG). The race is 500 miles long on a 2.5 mile track...so 200 laps it is. I initially used four lefts for this exercise, assuming a rectangular shape with rounded corners. But as I was Googling Daytona 500, I found out that the Daytona race track is a "tri-oval" shape (GOOG), which is basically a triangle with rounded corners. Who knew? This obviously means 3 lefts per car per lap, instead of 4. Also, a driver must hang a Louie to pull into the pit lane as well as his own pit. The fact that he turns right to get back out does not "cancel" the lefts. Mr. Shodobe still has to endure watching these left turns (as well as the post-pit-stop right turns).

To keep it simple for the beer-drinking-Dale-Earnhardt-muscle-shirt-wearing-with-a-mullet-and-three-turkey-calls NASCAR worshippers, I assumed no commercials, no replays, and no double counting for same corner/car but different angle. On wrecks/spinouts/etc, I assumed a full spin counter clockwise as 4 left turns. I did not count any left turns that may be done in the air such as flips/spins, even though one could argue otherwise. Something has to be touching ground in order to count, so upside down and spinning on head is a keeper. Now some of you might argue that if a driver is upside down and spinning clockwise would be more appropriate for counting left turns. Not so in this exercise, since the perspective of the viewer, in this case the absent Mr. Shodobe, hasn't changed. Upside down counter clockwise gets the nod. Banging off the wall and heading towards infield also counts as a left turn. Well, on to the numbers....

600 left turns per car (GOOG) ---PLUS---
5-10 pit stops per car?...used 7 (WAG) ---PLUS---
3 additional lefts...cool down lap? (WAG) ---EQUALS---
----------------
610 left turns per car (600+7+3) ---TIMES---
43 cars (GOOG) ---EQUALS---
----------------
26,230 left turns (610*43) ---MINUS---
1,200 left turns (10*40*3)...avg 10 cars do not finish (SWAG) x avg 40 laps missed (SWAG) ---EQUALS---
----------------
25,030 left turns (26,230-1,200) ---PLUS---
100 left turns (SWAG)....wrecks/spinouts/etc ---PLUS---
30 left turns (SWAG)...emergency vehicles attending to wrecks/spinouts/etc ---PLUS---
75 left turns (20*3)...25 laps by pace car (SWAG) at beginning and during caution ---PLUS---
3 left turns...victory lap by winner (GOOG) ---PLUS---
16 left turns (4*4)...spinout on Daytona 500 logo on grass by the winner (WAG) ---EQUALS---
-----------------
25,254 left turns in the Shodobe-less Daytona 500.

Obviously I am not un-educated enough to follow NASCAR, so I could be way off.

Will we have MLB this year IF D signs the new contract with MLB.

The reports are that * will have it as an exclusive starting tis year. But they are just reports right now. When a deal is signed wee will know more.

****THIS IS FOR ALL YOU NASCAR HEADS WHO THINK WE MLB TYPES ARE OBSESSED WITH NUMBERS AND MINUTIA...OBVIOUSLY THIS ISN'T TRUE****

It's actually 25,254 left turns....DUH!!!!

Kaman, that has to be the funniest thing I read all night, or maybe all week.

I've got a problem with NASCAR cookie cutter cars and spent my money at the Fall Nationals in Ennis, Texas instead. Lot-a-bang for the buck there.

If this happens, I will stick with E* for now and see what D* charges for the privilege of ordering MLB-EI. I see no reason to switch before I know what it will really cost me in $$. I am a big baseball fan, but as the NFL, MLB and NCAA say, this is a matter of simple economics. . . .

That's what I'm doing. I'll miss this season and see what I can get from DirecTv next season.

All the offers I've seen are only for one HD DVR I need 2.

If this happens, I will stick with E* for now and see what D* charges for the privilege of ordering MLB-EI. I see no reason to switch before I know what it will really cost me in $$. I am a big baseball fan, but as the NFL, MLB and NCAA say, this is a matter of simple economics. . . .

I am wondering if DirecTV will run a special offer for Dish or cable customers wishing to switch to get MLB Extra Innings. I would love to see them waive equipment costs if we switch.

Yea I don't think anything is "official", and this topic needs to be renamed.

As far as EI, until the MLB corrects their ridiculous blackout rules, I'd never buy this package. How can FOUR (4) teams claim me as their home team? I'm supposed to travel to see the Orioles, Reds, Nationals, Braves all play? And if I don't, I can't watch their out of market games? MLB needs to get real.

OK, I guess my next major purchase will be getting a PC to feed mlb.tv to my bigscreen TV.... I've got 30 mb downstream from Cablevision, so I just need the mlb.tv folks to up the quality of the streaming media and this will have less impact on me....

Is is this the last stand

Is this the last stand for dish and cable on the MLB package. Do they care, I do not think so. Directv is locking up all the sports packs I like dish but i like sports more. I see nothing in print from dish or the cable co. on this. I guess is you want RSTN, MLB,NHL, NFL, And the new Mlb channel And the best news is they may have alot of new HD channel. It looks like Dish is the big boy right now. But guess who is coming to dinner and staying . The bigger boy.:hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts