Joey RCA composite to second TV

Kinghawk9953

Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
Oregon
I recently upgraded to Hopper 3 with one Joey in master bed. I wanted to retain the capability of a second TV in master bath which was previously connected via coax splitter with older DISH receiver. Installation tech said I’ll I needed to do was connect Joey in the back of unit with RCA composite cable to second master bath TV. I purchased the usual Red/White and Yellow RCA cable but cannot get color. I have switched around the RCA cable in every configuration possible. Even jumped over to the Five connection RCA cable in back of TV. Get audio and video but not in color?

I recently upgraded to Hopper 3 with one Joey in master bed. I wanted to retain the capability of a second TV in master bath which was previously connected via coax splitter with older DISH receiver. Installation tech said I’ll I needed to do was connect Joey in the back of unit with RCA composite cable to second master bath TV. I purchased the usual Red/White and Yellow RCA cable but cannot get color. I have switched around the RCA cable in every configuration possible. Even jumped over to the Five connection RCA cable in back of TV. Get audio and video but not in color?
Yellow port on Joey will go to a yellow port on TV. As mentioned some newer tvs have a combo port so if there's no yellow port it will go on the green port or it may be half green half yellow. Also if it's a combo port the TV will still have two different inputs for it so make sure it's on composite or video and not component. If still no color sounds like a tv issue. Next step would be use an rf modulator and from modulator you'd run coax to tv and put on channel 3. You can also get an hdmi splitter and use hdmi and have an HD picture.

Yep, Joey's do not have a component output, only composite Red/White (L&R audio) and yellow (composite SD video).
Sounds like you are connecting things correctly. Perhaps try rebooting the TV (unplug it for at least 1 minute and then restart it with red/white audio and yellow video plugged in).

Reactions: charlesrshell
It sounds like you're connecting to the component jack instead of composite. Some TVs share the input, so it could be a setting as well. What's the make and model number of the TV?
Its a 2010 LG model M2262D-PM
Yep, Joey's do not have a component output, only composite Red/White (L&R audio) and yellow (composite SD video).
Sounds like you are connecting things correctly. Perhaps try rebooting the TV (unplug it for at least 1 minute and then restart it with red/white audio and yellow video plugged in).

Yellow port on Joey will go to a yellow port on TV. As mentioned some newer tvs have a combo port so if there's no yellow port it will go on the green port or it may be half green half yellow. Also if it's a combo port the TV will still have two different inputs for it so make sure it's on composite or video and not component. If still no color sounds like a tv issue. Next step would be use an rf modulator and from modulator you'd run coax to tv and put on channel 3. You can also get an hdmi splitter and use hdmi and have an HD picture.
Probably going to try HDMI splitter next. Thanks for the advice

I Googled that and it looks like that had component AND composite out puts...or am I finding the wrong item. Is this a 22 inch monitor/TV?
It sure looks like you are correct.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 10.57.52 AM.png

Make sure the yellow cable goes to where the red pointer points to...

1689372272303.png

If that doesn't work, then it is possible the Video output is broken on the Joey side or the input on the tv side, do you have anything else to test the video input on the TV. Composite video has the processing done on the source equipment while S-Video has the signal processed on the receiving side.

View attachment 163546

If that doesn't work, then it is possible the Video output is broken on the Joey side or the input on the tv side, do you have anything else to test the video input on the TV. Composite video has the processing done on the source equipment while S-Video has the signal processed on the receiving side.
I have done that multiple times. The only way I can get a video signal is to take the yellow input and plug it into the top port on the component section on left. Still only in black and white

I have done that multiple times. The only way I can get a video signal is to take the yellow input and plug it into the top port on the component section on left. Still only in black and white
So if it gives you the black and white on component then we atleast know the Joey sude is good. The fact that you get nothing on av says that you're either not on correct input or it has just quit working.

I'd still definitely do the hdmi splitter. Can get one at Walmart for like $20 and have it fixed in a few minutes.

Hdcp? Not familiar

View attachment 163546

Sounds like DISH developed the Joeys so you can’t mirror signal. So you have to rent another Joey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts