Thinking of going back to 4K Joey from wirless

brian_tr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
I had to move dish a couple months ago for new siding install. I had tech just take the 4k Joey and install wireless joey in its place. That wireless is so slow and the surround sound does not seem to work very good on it? Is there a difference the audio between the two? I checked all my settings. I had siding guy stick the old coax out from siding and where the dish was moved not hard to get to. I guessing if I sign up for protection plan they will put new 4K joey in for $50? My TV not 4K right now but sometime in future will be.

By the time you pay $50 for the installation plus the 6 months of the protection plan you could easily buy your own 4K Joey for a lot less. It's a plug and play installation. Then you call Dish and have them deactivate the wireless and activate the 4K. Keep in mind that the 4K Joey doesn't actually get much 4K.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Wireless joeys are convenient but they suck compared to 4k Joey and Joey3. You don't need a protection plan to swap it out but would require a two year commitment unless you purchase it. If the cable doesn't run all the way to the hub still then the tech may charge you $50 or can have dish setup a $50 custom labor (relocate receiver) work order with the upgrade.

By the time you pay $50 for the installation plus the 6 months of the protection plan you could easily buy your own 4K Joey for a lot less. It's a plug and play installation. Then you call Dish and have them deactivate the wireless and activate the 4K. Keep in mind that the 4K Joey doesn't actually get much 4K.
When I had dish moved thy said cancel protection any time without penalty. I cancel 2 days later and they refunded protection plan.

Wireless joeys are convenient but they suck compared to 4k Joey and Joey3. You don't need a protection plan to swap it out but would require a two year commitment unless you purchase it. If the cable doesn't run all the way to the hub still then the tech may charge you $50 or can have dish setup a $50 custom labor (relocate receiver) work order with the upgrade.
So if getting another joey the joey 3 and 4k would be the same price? If so might as well get the 4k. I will call them tomorrow. I been with dish for probably 30 years and planning on staying.

When I had dish moved thy said cancel protection any time without penalty. I cancel 2 days later and they refunded protection plan.
Interesting...that's sort of how it used to work ages ago but usually you had to pay one month.Last I knew there was a six month minimum. HMM-maybe because you were moving and they could have easily lost you as a customer .

Interesting...that's sort of how it used to work ages ago but usually you had to pay one month.Last I knew there was a six month minimum. HMM-maybe because you were moving and they could have easily lost you as a customer .
Depends on where you live. In IL, there is no recidivism so you can cancel the same day, if you want

Depends on where you live. In IL, there is no recidivism so you can cancel the same day, if you want
To be more clear customers(with the active encouragement of the csrs) would sign up for one month of the protection plan rather than pay for a truck roll(when it was determined the customer needed one).So at some point that got changed to a longer period(like 3 or 6 months).You could cancel anytime you wanted but there was a financial incentive of some sort that made it silly to cancel early.
That's what I remember but it's been a while.

So I talked to dish. They said it would require a 24 month commitment. The Joey 3 would be free and the 4K would be $40. If I sign up for protection service fee would be $11. I wish I would of had tech just run new wire to 4K joey when he moved the dish instead of installing wireless but that is history now. At the time coax would have gotten in way of siding job. I had to have replaced due to hail. I may just live with this wireless joey. You think when you been with them for over 30 years that would just do it! Not sure if this just a Texas thing or not but you can cancel protection plan anytime if you are an existing customer but if new account have to keep for 6 months. If they make me do a 24 new commitment probably considered new account?

I tried to do a chat thinking maybe could get it switched without doing the 24 month commitment but said I have to call. Cant believe I cant just get it swapped back like it was without it. If I buy a joey and install it is there still a monthly charge for it? What I have read there is still a charge as it not for the rental but the programming.

I tried to do a chat thinking maybe could get it switched without doing the 24 month commitment but said I have to call. Cant believe I cant just get it swapped back like it was without it. If I buy a joey and install it is there still a monthly charge for it? What I have read there is still a charge as it not for the rental but the programming.
BUT, no 24-month commitment.

Some states do not have the 180 day requirement. About 8 or 9...I can't remember which ones of the top of my head.

Joey 3 Installed. Bye bye wireless. No more waiting after pressing button and my surround sound back to normal! Just need to make sure they did not put me under new.contract. Not sure how I check that?

Well after looking at email from install they did put me under 24 month contract. Called and took some time but they removed it! When she seen I been with dish over 30 years made it happen. I asked the lady on the phone when order placed several times contract was waived and she would say yes I waived it.