Joeys video & audio freezing

Tribbs

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 1, 2012
Upper Midwest
Today the video and audio from my two Joeys began freezing for about 20 seconds about every minute. (The missing 20 secs of video and audio are lost when the program resumes.) This phenomenon occurs from both OTA and satellite signals. This does NOT occur while watching the TV connected (HDMI) to the HwS or previously recorded programming from the HwS DVR on my Joeys.

Have had my HwS for over one year and the Joeys since the original Hopper several years ago.
Nothing has changed with my cabling (Belden 1694a). It had been working flawlessly since day one. The MoCA signal on both Joeys show full tilt green and "Linked".

:what

Last edited:
Have you reset the receivers at all today since this started happening?

Yes! I first pressed the front reset button on the HwS. When that made no difference I did the power cord reset on the HwS. When that didn't work I power cord reset the HwS with the Joey's power unplugged. When the HwS powered up I plugged the power back in for each Joey to no avail. Although they both show "Linked" at the HwS and at each Joey.

UPDATE: I tried watching a program that had just been recorded on the DVR this evening. The freezing can be observed when watching this latest DVR recording on the TV at the HwS or Joeys.

Hmmm, I'm watching live satellite programing on the TV at my HwS with no freezing. However, I'm experiencing an intermittent sluggish remote control (new batteries) command response from the HwS.

Have you tried disabling bridging?

Disabled bridging, power reset HwS, verified bridging disabled - no difference.

Noticed that trying to bring up the Channel Guide on the TV connected to the HwS is very slow.
The first time I tried to bring it up this morning I received a Nag to power reset and to call DISH if it doesn't fix the problem.

Getting ready to call now...

Spoke with tech support (Performed power cord reset of HwS & Joeys - no change.), said "no known H/J issues" with my symptoms, "suspect cable issue". Scheduled a tech visit for tomorrow morning.

Will update, stay tuned...

Last edited:
Go to your network setup,/broadband screen. Click on network details. Cycle through the red drop down. Do you have 3 green OKs on more than one of those connections? If you have ethernet and wifi connected, that can cause this.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Nodes have a low failure rate and this symptom is usually two connections.

nodes are a ground source, so at any point if it was ulitized as a grounding source then it could have issues.
moca is reading full green and its the common point in the hopper system.
basic trouble shooting knowledge tells you to start at the common/middle point first.

Logically, you are spot on.

Does erratic receiver behavior always follow logic, no. Considering I've heard of multiple reports of this issue and most end up being dual connections, it's something the OP can check prior to someone coming out

Go to your network setup,/broadband screen. Click on network details. Cycle through the red drop down. Do you have 3 green OKs on more than one of those connections? If you have ethernet and wifi connected, that can cause this.

(Bridging enabled)
Both Ethernet and MoCA:
DHCP Acquired: OK
Server Connection: OK
Internet Connection: OK

Noticed again this morning on the HwS TV, the Channel Guide takes about a minute to bring up.
Sometimes the Channel Guide freezes.

Tech is here, tried to run some HwS tests on screen. Very slow response. Will try a HwS swap...

(Bridging enabled)
Both Ethernet and MoCA:
DHCP Acquired: OK
Server Connection: OK
Internet Connection: OK

Noticed again this morning on the HwS TV, the Channel Guide takes about a minute to bring up.
Sometimes the Channel Guide freezes.

Tech is here, tried to run some HwS tests on screen. Very slow response. Will try a HwS swap...
did he swap the node out first?
because that is easier than swapping out a box.

New dish network roof install. questions...

Vonage, Caller ID, and the Hopper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)