John Oliver Explains the Apple vs. Dept. of Justice Encryption Debate

Personally, I am not too worried about security on my iPhone 6 for a few reasons:
  • the iPhone that the FBI was able to access was the iPhone 5C, basically a iPhone 5 in a plastic body which doesn't have the Secure Enclave added to the iPhone 6 and later
  • this tool requires direct physical access to the iPhone
  • I have the option to use a 4-digit, a 6-digit, or an alphanumeric Passcode which greatly increases the time needed to brute-force the Passcode
  • being a boring person in general, I'm more worried about losing my iPhone than some government entity taking an interest in me
So, overall a Win-Win for all involved. Apple doesn't have to dedicate manpower against its will to create a special unlock version of iOS that bypasses security safeguards, and the rest of us can rest assured that now the FBI can go farther in their investigation of Farook and his wife. Something tells me, though, that the fact their personal phones were physically destroyed while this phone wasn't probably means there won't be anything usable on the phone.

I am not worried if the FBI can take out the memory copy it and brute force their way into my phone. I do not want Apple to make a backdoor which will eventually be broken into (they always are). I want it safe enough that if I lose my phone I know that my data will be protected from the common criminal, not worried about my phone being NSA proof...

I am not worried if the FBI can take out the memory copy it and brute force their way into my phone. I do not want Apple to make a backdoor which will eventually be broken into (they always are). I want it safe enough that if I lose my phone I know that my data will be protected from the common criminal, not worried about my phone being NSA proof...
Not to invite Pit material, but I thought about this case last night and how Apple's OSes will be affected going forward. Maybe they can rent out room in Al Gore's Social Security Lock Box to store the Encryption Keys?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)