Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Well if were not for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all. The folding machine is down :( Had to clear the CMOS just to get anything from it. Trying to repair windows now.

Nope. it's done. Says Bad Driver!! Really bad timing too. Recent events have stripped me of free time for the near future. F@H will have to wait far another day :(

Last edited:
Well if were not for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all. The folding machine is down :( Had to clear the CMOS just to get anything from it. Trying to repair windows now.

Nope. it's done. Says Bad Driver!! Really bad timing too. Recent events have stripped me of free time for the near future. F@H will have to wait far another day :(
Sorry to hear. :(
Will be curious to hear what happened and what you did to fix everything when you have the time to troubleshoot.

Sorry to hear. :(
Will be curious to hear what happened and what you did to fix everything when you have the time to troubleshoot.
Well it started with me turning off the "A program wants to make changes to your computer" Nag. While it becomes effective immediately, windows still wants a restart. I put off the restart for two days. So I decide to make some BIOS adjustments and make the cooling fans a little more aggressive. I shut down and restarted into the BIOS and made my adjustments. When I restarted, it went into a boot loop. Windows would start to load and BSOD and an immediate reboot, repeat infinitum. Windows repair reported a bad driver (SATA ACHI) and unable to repair. System restore failed. So time for a format and reinstall. MS is being a real pain about doing Windows Update on demand for Win 7. I takes forever to get a Win 7 install finished and up to date anymore. So I guess as long as I have it all set for a OS reinstall I will go a little further and try and figure out what it will take to make the liquid cooler I bought fit this thing like they said it would.

Been running a closed water cooler on my CPU for sometime now and like it so far.

I am mad at myself for not getting the 970 with water cooler now.

I can't believe what I found here. The reason I can't get the water cooler block to set on the cpu flat is a manufacturing defect in the ASUS MB. They cross threaded a screw in the CPU hold down hardware so it is not fastened all the way down. And the spring lock holds it up and the heat sink hits it. Instant meltdown, well almost and that's what I experienced. I need to pull the back plate off the MB and rethread that hole. Then reinstall the CPU hardware properly.

Well it started with me turning off the "A program wants to make changes to your computer" Nag. While it becomes effective immediately, windows still wants a restart. I put off the restart for two days. So I decide to make some BIOS adjustments and make the cooling fans a little more aggressive. I shut down and restarted into the BIOS and made my adjustments. When I restarted, it went into a boot loop. Windows would start to load and BSOD and an immediate reboot, repeat infinitum. Windows repair reported a bad driver (SATA ACHI) and unable to repair. System restore failed. So time for a format and reinstall. MS is being a real pain about doing Windows Update on demand for Win 7. I takes forever to get a Win 7 install finished and up to date anymore. So I guess as long as I have it all set for a OS reinstall I will go a little further and try and figure out what it will take to make the liquid cooler I bought fit this thing like they said it would.
I have no idea why MS didn't come out with a SP2 for Win7. There are over 200 updates that need to install after the initial Win7 SP1 install.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have no idea why MS didn't come out with a SP2 for Win7. There are over 200 updates that need to install after the initial Win7 SP1 install.
That's no lie. I'm doing 228 (1.2g) right now. Controlling the heat in this box is all about ducting airflow. Moving as much in and out as possible. Setting the CPU fan air duct to close to the fan actually raises the temps on the whole setup. The liquid cooler does not perform well in this case. Actually 5° warmer. I've ordered a couple high flow fans (62 CFM) to bring more air in from the front.

I guess I should stop whining about not breaking the 500K PPD barrier, huh? Sorry to hear of your rig's issues, Magic Static. As nicely organized as the inside of your case is, I wouldn't think that cooling airflow would be an issue.

As far as the OS goes, I had held on to Folding with Windows XP on the HP workstation for as long as I could. After I installed Ubuntu on my old Mac Pro and stuck the GTX 960 in it, I never regretted converting the HP over to Ubuntu. And since the T7400 didn't have an OS installed, I wasn't going to spend money on Windows just to be in a big, fat, fight with it. Once you get used to it, you wouldn't want to mess with anything else for Folding.
Just three more days until SatGuys hip-checks the Czech National Team out of the #88 spot. :biggrin
So many puns available... SatGuys to P88... Czech-mate!

Man are my folding numbers going to suck for yesterday and today. Yesterday before leaving for the day we made some firewall changes. This ended up not allowing the servers to download new WUs or upload ones that it had completed. I had been in meetings all morning and didn't realize anything was wrong until I was at home for lunch and looked at my daily numbers. Really sucks!

Man are my folding numbers going to suck for yesterday and today. Yesterday before leaving for the day we made some firewall changes. This ended up not allowing the servers to download new WUs or upload ones that it had completed.
I wondered how Scorpy got back to be Top Folder of the Team. Those IT folks; you always gotta keep an eye on them!