Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

We're back where we started at #64. 15 Days until #63. I suppose this is better than hitting #63 only to have BN take it away from us for two weeks.

Fortunately it's never too hot too fold in the northwest :rain. I waved :wave as I passed you. Now, wanna race? :biggrin (Welcome back)

I still got my same old stuff while alot of you guys upped your game.:hatsoff
We appreciate your contribution to the SatelliteGuys Team! The new NVIDIA GTX 10-series (Pascal) cards are pretty impressive for the price compared to the Maxwell and Kepler cards that came before. The AMD cards are cheaper, but if Points are your focus, NVIDIA seems to be the place to be.

Reactions: KE4EST
I finally figured out what to do with the 970 that was gathering dust since it was replaced with a 1070. Cobble together a system from old parts, plug the 970 in to it, and run Linux on it. W I know it's been more than a few years since I did anything with any flavor of Unix (anybody remember Wyse terminals?) but things sure have changed. Took forever to get folding to run - seems that the latest version of Linux-Mint is not very compatible with the latest folding. At least it's running now, ought to push me in to the seven figure range, and didn't cost anything. :biggrin

I saw that NVIDIA had released a new set of drivers for my Ubuntu Folders earlier in the month, and I didn't see any negative posts over on the Folding Forum, so I updated my two machines the other day. It may be too early to make a positive correlation as to whether it had a significant improvement in the amount of work per time period that gets done, but I did see there were new options in the Control Panel app.

One change I made with the new Options was to "Maximize Performance". With that change, one thing I've noticed over the past few days is how much warmer my Folding Farm is! I open the door to the basement and I can tell it's much warmer than usual. I hope that translates to lower gas bills this winter. Since the AC isn't running, the fan is just running on low so there isn't as much air mixing going on.

The GPU temps are between 75-80 ?C. I hope that isn't too hot for the cards' longevity.

I finally figured out what to do with the 970 that was gathering dust since it was replaced with a 1070. Cobble together a system from old parts, plug the 970 in to it, and run Linux on it. W I know it's been more than a few years since I did anything with any flavor of Unix (anybody remember Wyse terminals?) but things sure have changed. Took forever to get folding to run - seems that the latest version of Linux-Mint is not very compatible with the latest folding. At least it's running now, ought to push me in to the seven figure range, and didn't cost anything. :biggrin
It looks like it worked:
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 12.07.55 .png

There are a couple of > 1,000,000 Points days! And your 24 Hr PPD Avg is now over 1 million!

Edit: I noticed that Voyager6 needs to check that sticky plasma injector again, or maybe his Chambers Coil is overloading the Comms, preventing contact with Stanford...
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 14.35.02 .png

His production has dropped off the last few days. Nothing too serious, I hope.

Last edited:
It looks like it worked:
View attachment 120668
There are a couple of > 1,000,000 Points days! And your 24 Hr PPD Avg is now over 1 million!

Edit: I noticed that Voyager6 needs to check that sticky plasma injector again, or maybe his Chambers Coil is overloading the Comms, preventing contact with Stanford...
View attachment 120671
It worked, but just before leaving for a week at the coast that system wouldn't reboot. The old motherboard wouldn't even post. Drat! Maybe Fry's will have something on sale soon.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using the SatelliteGuys app!

View attachment 120671
Nothing serious. Just those pesky Windows updates have created havoc on my Folding machines. Need to reboot each one and add a copy of opencl.dll to the sytem32 folder. Dang Microsoft.:oldmad Full warp drive capacity should be restored this morning.

Reactions: Foxbat and KE4EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts