Joss Whedon's Firefly

Great post! That is awsome news. I watched the series for the first time on SciFi last year in preparation for the release of "Serenity." Do I dare hope they cap the series run with a showing of the feature film?

the feature film "Serenity" is currently airing on Cinemax or Showtime and will be popping up on HBO this month (if it hasn't already).

I'm with my fellow Browncoats in hoping for a special edition DVD set with cast commentary packaged with a copy of Done the Impossible (a fan created documentary on the phenomenal story behind the history of the much loved, cancelled too soon series and the movie that came about because of the fans love for the characters and writing style of Whedon.

Check out http://www.donetheimpossible.com for information on the documentary. ...I'm still waiting for my copy/s to arrive.

Here is hoping that the series, the feature film and the documentary do well enough to continue the story with this lovable cast of characters!

Last edited:
I read about this earlier today - that news really made my day. (kinda pathetic maybe!). Anyway, came here to post - looks like Spence beat me to it!

The future of scifi (the genre, not the channel) in HD is starting to look good - between Firefly coming to UNI, and Enterpise in HD coming to HDNET.
Finally - my new HD setup is cost justified!!!!!!

Tom:
"Wasn't there only 13 episodes?"
Yes. It's all about quality, not quantity!

"Kinda hard to get very excited about a half-season series that I've already seen on DVD."
The DVD is not HD!
(I take it you're not a hard core brown coat - lol)

Tom Bombadil said:
Wasn't there only 13 episodes?

Kinda hard to get very excited about a half-season series that I've already seen on DVD.

But I do like Uni picking up these type of programs.

I must be in the happy minority then. I have no problem getting excited about splitting, then eating only "half" of a dessert with my wife. I've tasted the dessert many many times but it is still just as sweet.

I find the same with Firefly's limited run. It's quality over quantity, and I find with each repeated viewing (every six months or so I'll dust off my boxed set and host a "recruiting party"), I like it no more than I did with the last viewing, but I still like it "just as much".

My point in starting the thread, was to point out that (for some of us), "dessert" has returned ...on a menu of high definition beauty (kind of like having home made apple pie in place of store bought, both the same, but one will taste better).

In starting this thread my intent was to excite the fans that peruse Satellite Guys, or better yet interested a few readers who have yet to experience the fun and exciting "verse" that Whedon & Co. has created.

That said Tom... did you enjoy (even a little bit) the 13 episodes (and feature film)? If so, feel free to help get the word out in the hope that the powers in Hollywood will bring more stories to market. If you didn't like it, well that's cool too.

If I tend to get preachy about things I apologize for that. I'm just as passionate about my family, my modest home theater and Firefly (women, good guys, bad guys & guns [grunt-grunt-grunt]). ;)

Cheers!

I watched 'Serenity', the feature film, having never seen an episode of the series and thought it was pretty good...wasn't overwhelmed, but liked it.

Well, a friend twisted my arm a few weeks ago and sat me down to watch 'Serenity' the 2-part (edited together into one ep. on the DVD release) pilot episode. Wow. What a great intro to the world and characters. Amazing (and telling, as to what eventually happened to the short-lived series itself) that the network 'genuises' forced Whedon to show the ep 'The Train Job' as the premiere show...nuts.

Needless to say, I came out of that, if not a bona fide fan/"browncoat", a much more profound admirer for Joss Whedon and what he was aiming for w/ the show. I just buckled and ordered the DVD set...which is really well done (obviously the HD transfers to be used for the UHD broadcasts were used on them, as they look great).

Why is it the really good shows often don't get the due they deserve in their time and get cancelled early by suits who don't get it, but their generated fan 'word of mouth' and legs/legacy/impact prove their worth (I think of the original Star Trek, Twin Peaks, and my recent fav, Farscape).

I think 'Firefly' will join that list and I'm really excited to get the chance to see it in HD. I think folks who haven't experienced it will like it. Now that they can see it as Whedon wanted...

Ah! Farscape! Another cast of characters that I would love to see come back with movies (made for TV, direct to video or theatrical) on ocassion.

I just can't get enough of exotically colored (blue, white, grey) women and a slug that farts helium! ;)

Sean Mota said:
everytime I tried to watch this 13 episode series, I either fell asleep or was not interested by the second episode.

That's Ok. Not everyone can be expected to have good taste and sufficiently high IQ to understand and enjoy it (just kidding!!).

Actually, I didn't like it at all at first. Somehow my wife sucked me into it and now I'm a bigger fan than she is. Seemed to take a long time, though.

I'm with jdr01930. I saw the first episode that FOX had aired and kept thinking WTF?! Where is the naked girl in the box?!

FOX requested more humor and likable characters so they commisioned a second pilot "The Train Job", which was the first to air. Unfortunately, Joss and Co. had weeks to write and produce a second pilot with which to introduce characters that they had so nicely established in "Serenity" (the original pilot episode).

FOX continued to air the episodes out of order, then pulled it a number of times for NBA playoffs (or some such programming). It was FOX's meddling that has been attributed to the show's demise.

Sean? Try watching a couple of the later episodes. I'd suggest Jaynestown, Out of Gas, Heart of Gold or Objects in Motion. Any series takes a season or two to truely get on it's feet and the later episodes work well toward that end.

Jaynestown brings some added (and unexpectedly powerful) dimension to Adam Baldwin's character. Out of Gas highlights many great character moments and gives insight into characters via brief flashbacks, Heart of Gold is Joss's version of the Seven Samurai (or Magnificent Seven for fans of the classic western).

Other fun episodes are "Our Ms. Reynolds" and a hand full of others (I can't recall the name of the episode where Mal has a duel to the death over Inara's honor but it is another good one).

Once you get to know and love the characters, give the earlier episodes a view and you might find them a bit more interesting in that you can look back and see how the characters have grown.

...or if you don't like it. NEVER MIND. ;)

"(I can't recall the name of the episode where Mal has a duel to the death over Inara's honor but it is another good one)"

Shindig! (I think)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)