Just a stupid rant about "cord cutters"

I think that having internet does not necessarily mean you are not a cord cutter. The internet is pretty much now a vital part of getting things done in modern society. If you do not watch TV shows over the internet, you are a cord cutter. The cord being cut is the cable TV (or satellite), that is what the understood meaning, not the literal meaning of a cord cutter. It is like saying someone is not a reader when they do not read books or magazines, but they read lots of signs, letters, etc. in daily life.

The more murky issues are if you use a free service like let say youtube or crackle to watch shows without paying for the content (commercials inserted). Or if you buy a service like Netflix.

I would say if you only use OTA and still have internet and do not watch online TV shows you are a cord cutter. I would say you are a semi cord cutter if you only watch netflix or free video services over the internet.

All I know is that removing the cable TV services saved me $100/mo. We already subscribed to netflix, and our Amazon Prime stays active for other reasons. The streaming is just a bonus. We have a Roku, but haven't subscribed to any additional pay channels.

If nothing else, cord cutting, or whatever you choose to call it has given me a lot more control of content and budget.

P.S. Note that I am not criticizing or labeling anyone who chooses to stay with programming services. Your business. Generally ignore the needs of the masses to try and stuff me in a bucket as well.

OK now a new term for the cord cutters that then buy TV over the internet: Cord Cheaters

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013...ign=Feed:+broadbandtvnews+(Broadband+TV+News)

According to the latest Q2 Video Discovery Trends Report from Digitalsmiths, this cord-cheating phenomenon refers to the growing trend by consumers to seek on-demand content from third-party video services and OTT services, as an alternative to their pay-TV provider’s on-demand offerings. These third-party video services include Netflix, Redbox Kiosk, Hulu and more.
Digitalsmiths feels this is an enormous threat, and one that speaks to the need for consumer-facing improvements. Based on Digitalsmiths Q2 survey of over 1,850 consumers, cord-cheating isn’t the only threat Pay-TV providers need to be worried about. The survey results also shed light on key industry topics around consumers’ TV viewing habits, their perception of pay-TV providers, and opinions of next-gen features such as personalized video discovery.

I really resent that term. It implies that if I don't bend over and spread em that I am somehow breaking a secret law.

I pay for my Netflix and Amazon subscriptions and content providers have total rights on what they make available there. I am not cheating anyone. I simply refuse to pay for a particular service and am willing to live with the limitations that implies.

I really resent that term. It implies that if I don't bend over and spread em that I am somehow breaking a secret law.

I pay for my Netflix and Amazon subscriptions and content providers have total rights on what they make available there. I am not cheating anyone. I simply refuse to pay for a particular service and am willing to live with the limitations that implies.

Well I think it comes down to the definition of a cord cutter. I would consider you a cord cutter since you do not have cable/sat, but some define it as no paid TV at all, and Netflix is cheating.

Well I think it comes down to the definition of a cord cutter. I would consider you a cord cutter since you do not have cable/sat, but some define it as no paid TV at all, and Netflix is cheating.

That seems way too restrictive. As stated earlier, anyone with an internet connection, basically anyone at all these days becomes a cheater. Sooner or later everyone checks out a youtube video.

I am simply railing against the term "cheater". That word has a very strong negative connotation. I can see how the cablecos might want to label anyone not bowing down on their altar as a "cheat", but we need a way to address a positive and progressive movement toward getting alternative content and rejecting cable/satellite.

The industry has managed to break free from all regulation and rates are spiraling. They can set any rate they want, but calling me a "cheat" for refusing to pay it is unfair.

That seems way too restrictive. As stated earlier, anyone with an internet connection, basically anyone at all these days becomes a cheater. Sooner or later everyone checks out a youtube video.

I am simply railing against the term "cheater". That word has a very strong negative connotation. I can see how the cablecos might want to label anyone not bowing down on their altar as a "cheat", but we need a way to address a positive and progressive movement toward getting alternative content and rejecting cable/satellite.

The industry has managed to break free from all regulation and rates are spiraling. They can set any rate they want, but calling me a "cheat" for refusing to pay it is unfair.

You also have to remember that the article is for the cable industry, of course you are a cheater in their view...

I had a bundle. TV, internet and phone for $97/month(all prices rounded to nearest dollar for ease of discussion) including tax. My bundle ran out. The Price went to $150/month including tax. I cancelled TV services. My bill now for internet and phone is $70/month. A net savings of $80/month. I called and asked for a new bundle. I was told they had no new bundles for existing customers. I have cut the cord. I use OTA and have an OTA DVR. I also use Netflix. You argue that I haven't cut the cord because I stream. That may be true. However I cut off Pay TV and am saving $80/month. That's $960/year. If they raise internet prices to $150/month I suspect a lot of people will be cutting the cord, simply because they can't afford it. I am probably going to be saving money for many years by not buying Pay TV. Coin a new term if you like. Bottom line is I cut the cord and put $960 back in my pocket!

I still see internet separate from TV, cutting off Pay TV even if you use OTA is still a form of cord cutting. Networks refusing to offer a la carte are creating a growing population working around the system.

I got rid of Directv a couple months ago (I still refuse to use the term that is in this thread) and went OTA only when I moved. When I lived in the apartment we got Choice Package free so all I was paying was $20 a month. When I moved I would have to pay for the programming so my bill would jump to at least $90. It wasn't worth it in my mind.

Do I miss some stuff? yeah...the sports is what I miss the most...but the radio gets used alot more :)

I had a bundle. TV, internet and phone for $97/month(all prices rounded to nearest dollar for ease of discussion) including tax. My bundle ran out. The Price went to $150/month including tax. I cancelled TV services. My bill now for internet and phone is $70/month. A net savings of $80/month. I called and asked for a new bundle. I was told they had no new bundles for existing customers. I have cut the cord. I use OTA and have an OTA DVR. I also use Netflix. You argue that I haven't cut the cord because I stream. That may be true. However I cut off Pay TV and am saving $80/month. That's $960/year. If they raise internet prices to $150/month I suspect a lot of people will be cutting the cord, simply because they can't afford it. I am probably going to be saving money for many years by not buying Pay TV. Coin a new term if you like. Bottom line is I cut the cord and put $960 back in my pocket!

Welcome to the site, Cuulblu!

Our bundle was the same way. Price jump way up from the 90's to about $150 at the end of the first year and then forever creeping up and up. I got rid of pay TV quite a while ago and don't regret it one bit. Quality was the main issue with us rather than money though, once I'd set up an OTA antenna and FTA dishes, the cable quality looked so bad that we didn't even want to watch it!

You could maybe even save more by dumping the phone service too. We went with the Ooma Telo probably a year and a half or so ago and it's been great for us. Phone now only costs us $3.84 a month. Initially we had to shell out $120 for the Ooma Telo, but it's already more than paid for itself in savings.

Welcome to the site, Cuulblu!

Our bundle was the same way. Price jump way up from the 90's to about $150 at the end of the first year and then forever creeping up and up. I got rid of pay TV quite a while ago and don't regret it one bit. Quality was the main issue with us rather than money though, once I'd set up an OTA antenna and FTA dishes, the cable quality looked so bad that we didn't even want to watch it!

You could maybe even save more by dumping the phone service too. We went with the Ooma Telo probably a year and a half or so ago and it's been great for us. Phone now only costs us $3.84 a month. Initially we had to shell out $120 for the Ooma Telo, but it's already more than paid for itself in savings.

Having had Tivo since the beginning (late 1990's ?), then watching as cable picture quality kept going downhill, got a dell zino in 2004 - got rid of cable and got in on Ooma when it was free and have never looked back. Ooma has been flawless since 1st plugged in. Even if you have the money, why give it to the GREEDY cable co., yes I still have to pay for internet but that is something that I use/enjoy to get me TV/Phone.

Reactions: . Raine
I think it should be called the cutting of the pay tv cord. I can't stand cable the only time it was good they made a misprint on our bill charged us $1 on our bill so we pay it. Pay tv Satellite TV was different from cable then they turned into the greedy cable companies. After 2010 we haven't missed pay tv, the junk reality shows plus all the reruns. Ota for my locals and my fta satellite provide just enough stuff to watch. Tv over the net will get worse just like directv, dish. kill the goose that laid the golden egg. You be will charged more money to watch tv over the web they see people saving money they don't like that. Fta satellite and ota antenna is the best way to watch tv we might not get a lot to watch but its free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts