Just a stupid rant about "cord cutters"

I just recently "pulled the plug" on DISH and have gone with OTA, which I get a total of 34 Network and the assorted subchannels, where I live. I also have a $8 per month Netflix subscription for any streaming that I want to watch. In the 3 weeks since I dropped DISH, I have not missed it once. I just could not justify the costs of DISH any longer, when I found that I was watching more OTA stuff that DISH did not carry and Netflix. I do pay for cable Internet with my phone bundled that I pay $65 a month for, but with 60MBs of speed and unlimited long distance I find it a reasonable deal. So, in closing I don't miss DISH and I sure do not miss DISH's $90 per month bill.

Broadband-shifting bigger influence than cord-cutting
Aug 15 2014, 11:25 ET

Cable and satellite providers ended Q2 with more broadband subscribers than video customers, according to Leichtman Research Group.
An important distinction is that the pace of cord-cutting declined during the quarter as many customers simply shifted to packages such as U-verse or FiOS away from traditional cable.
Analyst Craig Moffett notes the pay-TV industry is growing revenue at twice the clip as the wireless business which seems to defeat the suggestion of some that it's a dying entity. http://seekingalpha.com/news/193829...bigger-influence-than-cord-cutting#email_link

i can see where the op is coming from. The general attitude i've seen among cord cutters (not all, but a good chunk of them) is that they are somehow better than non cord cutters because they are no longer bound by their cable company, when in fact most of them are still using their cable company to connect to the internet for streaming. I think the internet needs to come up with a better term than "cord cutter" because most people still aren't truly cutting the cord

I think "cost cutter" is a better term, if you can make it with streaming only services and rabbit ears.

But here's what irks me, and makes me want to cut the cord: I hate it when cable is given priority over satellite in those "free preview weeks". I just saw that Disney Family Movies is only on the cable providers but no Dish or DirecTV. I've been on Direct since '03 and don't want to switch or "cut" but I don't like the walled gardens of content. It all needs to be rethought!

Cost cutting suggests that the new paradigm is going to save cost. While most agree that it will save dollars, few consider how much more effort getting the desired content may cost.

Cord cutting may be more of a statement of independence than a less costly alternative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts