KU LNB noise figure ratings: is there much a difference?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

videobruce

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
With these noise figures well under 1 db, is there REALLY any difference between any of these LNB's for the KU band when dealing with 'iffy' signals?

Back in my 'C' band days, 120 degree was the common spec for a LNA, I see noise figure has replaced the temperature rating. Why? What's the difference when making a comparison?

From my limited experience, I'd say noise figures are helpful, but not the end-all in choosing an LNB. Invacom is an amazing high quality company that makes high quality product. I've heard rumours of other 0.3dB LNB's, and even 0.2dB, that can't outperform the Invacom (search the forum here for several testimonials/reviews). I think a decent analogy would be; imagine the sticker on a stereo at Wal-Mart that announces it pushes 300W of audio. I'll bet a 250W stereo from good electronics store would sound/work better ;)

I've got a "BIGSAT" 0.3 universal and it doesnt come close to what I'm picking up for qual on the invacom 0.3. so CASCADE, your exactely right dude.

Interesting!

sharris said:
I've got a "BIGSAT" 0.3 universal and it doesnt come close to what I'm picking up for qual on the invacom 0.3. so CASCADE, your exactely right dude.
Im planning on doing the same comparison when the flanged quad polar Invacom is available. -Shawn

imagine the sticker on a stereo at Wal-Mart that announces it pushes 300W of audio. I'll bet a 250W stereo from good electronics store would sound/work better
Most anything from China-Mart would be a step backwards. :mad:
This Invacom, which seems to be touted as a high end product, does it have any competition?

How about receiver sensitivity, much of a difference here?
Between a PCI card and a standalone?

Thanks for the replies.

videobruce said:
How about receiver sensitivity, much of a difference here?
Between a PCI card and a standalone?

From what I've seen/heard, about the same amount of quality is required to produce viable picture, regardless of type of receiver. The tricky part is, the % readout on the meters of various units/cards differ greatly. My own Twinhan 102g DVB card is very stingy, and all the numbers look miserably low. It produces a great picture, however. If I tossed a Coolsat or another common STB on my dish, it would give much higher numbers, but probably produce the exact same results.

Somone correct me if they have differring experience ;)

CharredPC said:
From what I've seen/heard, about the same amount of quality is required to produce viable picture, regardless of type of receiver. The tricky part is, the % readout on the meters of various units/cards differ greatly. My own Twinhan 102g DVB card is very stingy, and all the numbers look miserably low. It produces a great picture, however. If I tossed a Coolsat or another common STB on my dish, it would give much higher numbers, but probably produce the exact same results.

Somone correct me if they have differring experience ;)

nope..your right on that point

I had a thread on that a while back...lets see
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=70910&highlight=difference+coolsat+pansat

but yes, on G10 11799 Transponder, the Pansat is at 70-75 but the Satworks shows 49

i have noticed that my satworks 3618 is more sensitive than the pansat 2700 at low signal levels. I can watch The Tube on g10 just fine with my 76cm / .5 lnb and the satworks, with the pansat i get a lot of dropouts using the same setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA6 Encrypted Channels

TubeTransponder acting up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)