ku Orthomode Feed Assembly question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't know much about starband. It might be the same OMT, but from what I've seen, the starband uses an elliptical reflector. The feed horn would look different. Does it use ka- or ku-band?

I found a feedhorn from a starband (I think) system. I will post a pic when i get home it looks a lot like the one posted here.

Attachments

• image-2925913396.jpg
    image-2925913396.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Well, my OMT arrived last month. I thought I'd let you guys know how it's working. Overall, not a significant improvement. In fact, my system performs about the same. Maybe a 1% quality increase on some signals. Really, I wasn't expecting to see a huge change. However, this setup has allowed me to use more stable Norsat LNBs. And that has helped lock down some signals that didn't come in with my Invacom LNB. For instance, I can now watch The Florida Channel (yeah, I know, not the most interesting thing in the world) with 15% quality. I noticed some other services, like wild feeds, coming in better, too. Just for fun, I tried the feedhorn that came with the OMT. The performance was a little worse than the stock feedhorn. I had to mod a multiswitch to send 18v to both LNBs. Thanks go out to Magic Static and Pendragon for the mod plans. Overall, I enjoyed this experiment. I'm going to stick with the OMT!

OMT-1.JPGOMT-2.JPG

Panavision,

Nice report and good looking dish. Is the Andrew logo original or did you add it?
I made the same lnb change on my 1.2m dish from Invacom to a ortho. Initally I too noticed only a small improvement untill I started scanning the far East sats where I picked up several new TP's.
You've got a good factory original setup now!

Thanks, Pixl. The Andrew flash is original. The Norsat LNBs and Andrew dishes came from two separate Saturn dealers in the area. The owner helped me dismantle! Just goes to show it never hurts to ask.

I was glad to find the ortho on ebay so cheap. That's thanks to the original poster. What's interesting is The Florida Channel's quality fluctuates wildly between about 10% and 55% on the Micro. I know the Norsats are helping bring this service in, but why isn't the displayed quality higher? I was getting the same quality numbers with my Invacom, but with really bad tiling.

I know others were interested in getting the ortho from ebay. I wonder how they did.

I put the lnbs on mine, but havent gone to the roof to install the ortho. One of mine will go on a Prodelin 1.8 so I will try the feed horn that came with the ortho first. I have a SL2 on the Prodelin now and I think the scalar needs to be larger for this dish. I am hoping to have a use soon for the second ortho I got. I am trying to convince the owner of another 1.8 that they dont use it anymore and that it has little real value.

Nice pix, fulszjep1.
I recognize the Invacom feedhorn.
What size and brand is the prime-feed dish?

Thanks for posting.

I think it says tru arc on it. 5ft 2 . I guy was going to recycle it. 25.00 and it came with stand like the 6ft dish you see on the forum. I converted it for the actuator with a 6ft slip on u bolt mount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)