ku Orthomode Feed Assembly question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why doesn't somebody just contact him through Ebays contact system, and ask if he'll sell these singly? I've done that before to other people that have set up auctions for larger amounts, and it's worked for me.

Sounds to me like he has all sorts of them available, and he can set up private "buy it now" auctions and send the link.

Since it seems like the OP's question has been, or will soon be answered, I'd like to ask about switches for this OMT setup. I've been reading Anole's tutorial on switches, but I cannot find (nor am I smart enough to extrapolate from his great examples) what I need to get this working. It sounds like a 2x4 switch is what you'd need if you just had the OMT and 1 receiver. My setup has a few added complexities...

I have:
1 Geosatpro PLL Standard Ku LNBF
1 Invacom Universal Ku LNBF (I only use the 11600 LO, if this makes a difference)
and soon, I'll be adding 2 Norsat Ku LNBs (for the OMT)

I want to be able to watch these on my MicroHD.

I already have a 4-way diseqc switch because I currently have an LNB for the 1.2m. It sounds like a 2x4 switch is what I need for the Norsats. I've read that I'll need a power inserter for the vertical side of things. Won't the voltage from the receiver plus the power inserter's added voltage damage the LNB?

Also, does the fact that I have a Universal LNBF complicate things?

Let me know if I need to provide more info.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Way ahead of 'ya. I just bought mine. There's plenty more available! :)

Just ordered 2 for myself also. Looking forward to modding a multiswitch for this one. It will greatly simplify my installation.

I hope the 33deg horn will illuminate my 1.8 prodelin a little better than my 51deg one.

Thanks, Magic Static! I saw that thread yesterday. The debate on how to power my LNBs continues. Do I go with a nice, ready to use power inserter, but have to shell out much more money? Or do I face the scary prospect of modding an inexpensive multiswitch I find on ebay? I can solder, it just might not be pretty. Yikes! As far as the feed horn, Bongu, I hope it illuminates my 1.2m. If not, my plan is to bolt the OMT to my existing Channel Master feed horn. After all, the OMT is really what I'm after!

All this talk and I don't think the OMT has even shipped!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yea, I don't know where he got those 562 ohm resistiors. I used the ones in the RATSHACK link 560ohm 1/2watt. Close enough for our purpose.
I bought 3 of those switches for $8 each on EBAY. One for both dishes I have and a spare.

OMT = Orthomode transducer :)

I used the ones in the RATSHACK link 560ohm 1/2watt. Close enough for our purpose.
Great. That'll be nice to go to the store and pick these up.

As for OMT, it stands for Orthomode Transducer. It basically separates out the V pol from the H pol so that two dedicated LNBs can be used. It's also used for equipment that transmits. Typically you transmit and receive on polarities that are 90 degrees apart, or orthogonal.

Your like me learn something new every day....sometimes more than one thing..;)

I wonder if this is the same feedhorn on a starband dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)