Landlord Restriction

Status
Please reply by conversation.

calmeidajr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 28, 2009
NJ
I was ready to set up my fta dish on an old dish network site basically swapping dishes and my landlord said I'm not allowed to have satellite. I told her " I'm just swapping dishes I'm not drilling anything" She said " your not allowed to have them at all" it's not on my so called rented property it's on the other side of the apt on the ground (can't get no signal any other way) I was wondering being that other people here have satellite dishes should I make a complaint or leave it alone.....??

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm pissed because I think my neighbor ratted me out because he was talking to her when my back was turned he physically had to go inside and get her to come out unbelievable

You are not protected by the law in your situation, the landlord can deny the Dish. It would have to be installed in an area only you have the right to use. (Though even then there are restrictions) The others who have a DISH probably have it on their exclusive use area. (Or made an agreement with their neighbor)

You are not protected by the law in your situation, the landlord can deny the Dish. It would have to be installed in an area only you have the right to use. (Though even then there are restrictions) The others who have a DISH probably have it on their exclusive use area. (Or made an agreement with their neighbor)

Yeah I guess...Do I have any other options for Free to air channels...over the internet??...Any ideas would help thanks

Satellite Dish Not Allowed

I was wondering if I have any other options than satellite to get free to air channels? :(

Can I get them online some how or pay for a box?

Any ideas much appreciated

You list your location only as NJ.
If you are close to a major city as I am, there are a lot of choices over the air (OTA).
I get between 90 & 100 channels here in Los Angeles suburbs, many of which are also popular FTA channels.
But assuming you live more remotely, which channels interest you?
Maybe someone knows of an internet feed of it.
.edit: looks like this thread should be merged with: Landlord Restrictions.

Last edited:
if the old dish was already there,you should be grandfathered in.
They would have taken down the old dish if it wasn't allowed.

Yeah I know xtgold I should have been I font know what to do we 'll see

if the old dish was already there,you should be grandfathered in.

but if he changes it out for something else he loses grandfathered status (if there was one)
If Dish had to change the dish (to add HD as example) then grandfathered status usually still applies

If you still can have a dish network or directv dish then you have two options. First would be to replace the LNB with the one from your FTA dish. Some modification might be needed but you can get some FTA channels depending on the satellite. Your other option would be to replace the current dish with the largest directv or dish network dish you can find that won't upset your landlord. The DirecTV World Direct dish is 36 inches wide and should get you a lot of FTA. The Dish Network 500+ or 1000+ dishes are about 30 inches across but still should do well on a satellite like 97w. You may be able to find one for cheap or free on craigslist or freecycle.

Just move to a renter centric property.

Seems like I saw a video once on YouTube where it was done. Then again, I shouldn't believe everything I see on the Internet ;)

papabruski said:
I've wondered if a dish set in a south facing window would be able to receive signals through the window. Has anyone tried that?

Yes I did that in college in my dorm room however the window had lead (had to be up) so I had to use some duck tape to seal the window shad to stop air. It was a dtv 18" dish I lost a lot of room doing it because the bed was at an angle . But I was the only one to ever have satellite in a dorm at Marshall :) everyone throw in on ppv's and we ran rg6 to the other dorm rooms on ch4 lol well that was until they made it stop because some drunk came back and tripped on a wire.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)