Mar 6, 2011
Atlanta
Hello!

My equipment:
Box: Geosat DSR200c
Dish: WS9036
Motor: SG9120
LNB: WS DMX521

I finished installing my satellite system last week, and now is working great. Thanks to you guys.

I'm trying to get Laostar Channel and Laostar News in G19, but according to Lyngsta the compression for does channels is MPEG-4. At the moment when I go to does channels I get only sound and a strong quality(80).

1) Do I need a box that plays MPEG-4?
2) Do I need a different LNB?

3) If I need a new box I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you!!!

1) Do I need a box that plays MPEG-4? - Yes
2) Do I need a different LNB? - No
3) If I need a new box I would appreciate any recommendations.
Might find a used DVB-S (QPSK) HD box on ebay for little money. See whats listed and if they are mpeg4 capable, then search the forum for that model. The equipment reviews may also help you decide. Or you could opt for adding DVB-S2 (QPSK & 8PSK) capabilities, in addition to HD mpg4. The SSO (Sathawk-Solomend-Openbox S9) is the current price leader. They also have issues. But they do work well if you're not hindered by them. There are new products in the works which may not have the issues the SSO's have, SatelliteAV(site Sponsor:up) and Manhattan-Digital. I have no information about when they will be available.(although, the Manhattan-Digital site says end of March, Think i read somewhere that Manhatten units are in BETA testing)
EDIT: I jost scanned that TP with the Openbox and also have audio ONLY on the Laostar channels. Now I don't know what to think, so take the above with a grain of salt.
Looks to be Subscription - Their site sells a receiver with 1yr sub. http://www.laostartv.com/store

Last edited:
I tried a sathawk 800 (sadouns version of the openbox s9) and was not able to get the channels also. A Sonicview 8000, however, does and the channels show as 480i. , which the openbox cannot do in Mpeg4. drjohn

I think it does do 480i in mpeg4, at least it does if UTR on 97w is 480i.

The Lao channels don't work for me either, and someone on Sadoun's forum has reported the same. But they also reported that they worked on a different mpeg4 receiver, so I don't think it's an encryption issue.

Interesting(???) Is this another issue with the SSO's ?? I wonder what will record with the Openbox and ????

That is one of the reasons why I'm asking you guys, because I don't want to buy a new box (MPEG-4), and find out the doesn't work for does channels. I will keep looking around. The viewsat, I really dont know because it will be controlling my motor, and from previous experience the viewsats don't do so good with USALS. Thank you....

Another SSO issue??

OK forum members, it appears the SSO's won't decode video on the Laostar channels on 97W @ 12022 V 22000. Sonicview 8000 does (drjohn14) If your receiver decodes, report here. I wonder what is causing this?

I think somebody with a PC card needs to check out the parameters on those channels to see what differs from the MPEG4 channels that the Openbox will decode.

Yet another flavor of SSO, Ferguson Ariva 100, shows no video but plays the audio:
Laostar National 12023V21997; PID V 4191, A 4192, P 4191; Bitrate 34KB/s; FTA; Resolution-none.:confused:

Another with same TP & SR plays just fine:
Sadai Afghanista 12023V21997; PID V 4207, A 4208, P 4207; Bitrate 34 KB/s; FTA; Resolution-576i.

Both are 90% S & 75% Q. 36" WSI dish w/ DMX522 lnbf.

That's what I get on the Solomend, audio but no video. I wonder if it's some weird resolution, not really standard 480i.

If my study of this is correct, The SSO's just may not be capable.

The Pansat 9200 specs: Standard Definition/High Definition contents (MPEG2 and support MPEG4 AVC/H.264 - and decodes Laostar video.
The only spec I can find for the Sonicview 8000 and Coolsat 8000 reads: MPEG 2 & MPEG 4 Support - and decodes Laostar video.

The specs for the SSO's read: Fully compliant MPEG-4 H.264/AVC Main Profile Level 3 & High Profile Level 4.1. I think the key is "Main Profile Level 3 and High Profile Level 4.1", meaning it only supports those two levels of the Mpeg-4 spec.

There's a chart on H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "Levels with maximum property values" showing the Levels and the resolutions, refresh rates, etc. Well there's levels from 1 to 5.1. Maybe they are using a LEVEL the SSO's, and some other boxes, are not capable of.(??) maybe they're using LEVEL 3.1 or 2.2? Maybe it's not even MPEG-4, How do we know? Think we need a digital video guru &/ PC Card folks to confirm.

I am of the opinion that it's a uncommon format being used by the uplinker, as it appears it's the only channel (so far discovered) using this format beamed to the US. Maybe it's an mpeg standard that's commonly used somewhere else in the world.(?) That's my 2 cents.

For now, my recommendation to receive Laostar, in the used market, has to be, in no particular order, a Pansat 9200*, Coolsat 8000 or Sonicview 8000. (from confirmations above) For new equipment, Azbox. Anything else, I'd contact the seller and have them guarantee that it works. I don't know how well that would be received, or enforced.
*note: there are channels that the Pansat 9200 decodes the video, but not the audio.(first hand knowledge, I got one, it's now semi-retired.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)