Las Vegas OTA SUBCHANNEL GUIDE INACCURATE!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

foghorn2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
las vegas
Dish Quality said twice this a "BANDWIDTH ISSUE". Makes no sense. Are Dish employees just plain lazy to fix things, cant fix things or just don't give a damn?

I hope the answer is NO and Dish people can fix this.

IMG_20141128_125814_487.jpg

21-02 COZI is not a Spanish Channel, 21-03 Ante guide is completely WRONG!

IMG_20141128_125848_688.jpg

03-02 ESTR is a spanish channel showing an english channel's guide
03-03 Get- has no guide, it used to

BTW, the PSIP data from the TV set's built in tuner display the correct shows.

Last edited:
Honestly, they probably just don't give a damn. It's not really their equipment, but a service offered to make things easier.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Gee, I never thought some anything with a TV Guide logo would be inaccurate :biggrin.

As a service to "make things easier", well now they just made it harder.

Also this can get Dish into hot water because now the TV ratings for the show vs. whats on the screen will be different. We know Dish is concerned with parental control that's why channels with no guide info requires a password if any kind of parental controls are enabled.

Check zap2it.com
If the guide info is wrong on there, then most of the time Dish will have the wrong guide info. The subchannels that dish has guide info for they get from Tribune (which is same as zap2it.com)

Be happy Dish carries subchannel info. Most times they don't

Reactions: charlesrshell
Zap2it has the correct listings. I am happy Dish carries the info, I would be happier if it was accurate.

well looked at zap2it and the listings there are right (guide info matches the station)

so it IS a dish issue. I forget the exact email but it use ot be you could email dishquality@echostar.com with the channel/guide incorrections and what they should be and they usually fix it quickly.

Hopefully someone can correct me if the e-mail is wrong

so it IS a dish issue. I forget the exact email but it use ot be you could email dishquality@echostar.com with the channel/guide incorrections and what they should be and they usually fix it quickly.
Dish will not fix incorrect guide data for sub-channels (unless they also happen to carry those channels - I checked quickly and if I'm not mistaken, they do NOT).

Did KSNV add those sub-channels in the past ~2 years ?

NO.

So what is it, they get the data from Tribune or not, and why would Tribune fix it and Dish won't? Why won't dish fix it, they are showing the completely the wrong channel's guide data?

Hall are you saying that Dish : "just plain lazy to fix things, cant fix things or just don't give a damn?"

Did KSNV add those sub-channels in the past ~2 years ?

no they've been there. What happened was Sincalir bought the NBC affiliate there which was on RF2 PSIP 3. They already owned the CW & My affiliates there. They basically shuffled around the channels to get NBC off horrible RF2. From avs here is what happened between PSIP3 (RF2), PSIP 21 & PSIP 33

(1) NBC, COZI, and Antenna TV, former channel 3 sub-channels, all migrated to channel 21. (2) My Network TV moved from 21.1 to 33.2 in 720p. (3) Estrella moved from 21.2 to 3.2 in 480i. (4) GET TV moved from 21.3 to 3.3 in 480i. (5) Zuus Country was at 33.3 is now gone. (6) NBC airs on both 3.1 and 21.1, and both in 1080i. (7) THIS TV moved from 33.2 to 33.3 in 480i. (8) COZI TV moved from 3.2 to 21.2 in 480i. (9) Antenna TV moved from 3.3 to 21.3 in 480i.

no they've been there. What happened was Sincalir bought the NBC affiliate there which was on RF2 PSIP 3. They already owned the CW & My affiliates there. They basically shuffled around the channels to get NBC off horrible RF2. From avs here is what happened between PSIP3 (RF2), PSIP 21 & PSIP 33

(1) NBC, COZI, and Antenna TV, former channel 3 sub-channels, all migrated to channel 21. (2) My Network TV moved from 21.1 to 33.2 in 720p. (3) Estrella moved from 21.2 to 3.2 in 480i. (4) GET TV moved from 21.3 to 3.3 in 480i. (5) Zuus Country was at 33.3 is now gone. (6) NBC airs on both 3.1 and 21.1, and both in 1080i. (7) THIS TV moved from 33.2 to 33.3 in 480i. (8) COZI TV moved from 3.2 to 21.2 in 480i. (9) Antenna TV moved from 3.3 to 21.3 in 480i.

Thanks Iceberg, Dish did supply the accurate guide data, Sinclair moved them around, now its botched up, DishQuality (via email) claim this is a "bandwidth issue". Hogwash.
All they have to do is re-mapp it.

To a large degree, it's somewhat of an automated system. At one point in time, hence why I asked if these channels were added later, Dish has a "list" of all of the locals they carry and any sub-channels that those locals had. They don't use call letters like "KSNV" though, they use a unique "TSID" (transport stream identification), which is part of the PSIP data that all channels transmit. Dish matches that TSID to the guide data they receive from Tribune and when there's a match, our guides are populated. When they don't match, you get either wrong data or just "Digital Service" (on pre-Hopper receivers) or the call letters (on Hoppers).

So, like I asked in my earlier question, if the sub-channel was added later - after Dish had this "list" - those new channels don't exist and therefore there's nothing to match.

Another change that can break this is if the station changes the TSID. If they do that, guess what ? Things won't match....

As for your question about Dish, their justification is that they don't carry these channels and no longer support anything related to them. Is it laziness ? Sure it is, but Dish is a business and gets little to no benefit by fixing this. My local PBS has broken guide data for (2) of their sub-channels. Why ? They swapped them in the other's place but left the TSID as it was.

this is a "bandwidth issue".
It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a "bandwidth" issue. That is a stock answer in regards to sub-channels, i.e. they think you're referring to Dish carrying the channels via satellite. That is a (potential) bandwidth issue.

Dish will not fix incorrect guide data for sub-channels (unless they also happen to carry those channels - I checked quickly and if I'm not mistaken, they do NOT).
sure they will. They carry the guide info for the station. This isn't a case of "digital service"

snippet of OTA stations in Vegas dish carries (the ones in question)
3-01 KSNV TSID 0x081F, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 9032)
3-02 KVBC2 TSID 0x081F, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14759)
3-03 KVBC3 TSID 0x081F, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 15340)
21-01 KVMY TSID 0x0829, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5255/9034)
21-02 KVMY2 TSID 0x0829, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 9035)
33-01 KVCW TSID 0x082B, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5254/9039)

Basically what dish needs to do is move the guide info from channel (as example) 14759 from 3-02 to 21-02 and that solves the Cozi issue
15340 from 3-3 to 21-3
9035 from 21-2 to 2-2

getTV wont have guide info as they dont carry the info to begin with

sure they will. They carry the guide info for the station. This isn't a case of "digital service"
Good luck with that.... Post the problem here -- http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/ota-epg-info-incorrect-or-displaying-digital-service.246013/ -- but don't hold your breathe.

EXACTLY. I just posted above how to do it
Doesn't matter how easy it is. Dish will not do it....
RaymondG@Dish Network said:
In some markets guide information was added for some sub channels previously, however going forward sub channel guide information is no longer being added.

A benefit Dish has is having happy subscribers in Las Vegas that watch/record OTA channels using superior equipment rented from Dish.
Sure its a small percent, but were here still. We don't want to do what Iceberg did - cut the cord and go to Tivo.........YET!

Obviously you didn't read what you copied before posting. Ray said "ADDED". This is not an ADD but a CHANGE

Good luck with that.... Post the problem here -- http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/ota-epg-info-incorrect-or-displaying-digital-service.246013/ -- but don't hold your breathe.
He can use the dishquality e-mail. They should fix it (but then again they havent done sh*t in Minneapolis and 1/2 the OTA stations have wrong PSIP info)

Doesn't matter how easy it is. Dish will not do it....
because they are LAZY

This is where Directv's OTA guide info is better. They take it directly from Tribune (zap2it) and not trying to make their own monkey shine way of doing it. So when Tribune updates it, the AM21 (if the channel is in the database) updates too

EXACTLY. I just posted above how to do it

I did, twice- I guess I'll keep trying, can I use you avatar in my email stating thats me? Maybe that will make it more convincing. :idea

Edit, thanks for the details above Iceberg- I'll copy that on my next email.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I don't know why Dish no longer does it. I realize it takes a person some time to look up the info and update the database, but what's the threshold ? If they can do it in less than 1 hour a month ? Who knows.....
Sure its a small percent
That's one major reason, no doubt. Face it, no one subscribes to Dish's programming just to get the hardware with OTA capability. If Dish shut off the OTA dongle, I won't cancel their service and I assure you, very, very few customers will.

Status
Please reply by conversation.