Last & Next Movie Watched

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Last: Robin Hood

Enjoyed the story. More of a background than the traditional story shown in the past. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

S~

Last edited:

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Saw Sex and the City 2. Wife wanted to see it for the fashions she heard were great. I was hoping to see Sarah Parker get stoned to death for showing her skinny arms in the UAE but no such luck.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Last: The Girl Who Played With Fire, in swedish, subtitled. AMAZING. INCREDIBLE. This was a great adaptation of an incredibly complex book. I was so impressed. Can't wait for the third film.

Next: no idea...

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Saw it too tonight. Posted some other comments in the Book review thread for you.

I know you and I differ on whether to watch with language we understand or not but one thing I found interesting about the English dub version on the Blu Ray vs the original language version- With English language version, the person on camera may be reading a newspaper headline which is spoken as thought verbiage by the person so you not only get what they are speaking to each other but also you will get a very clever way of having the key printed language translated as well. I've never seen this done before. Also, this production had the dub very well timed to lips and the emotion was well acted. I plan to go back and watch the English ST version in places to compare. One of the observations I have made in the past is the ST text copy often appears quite abbreviated and it makes me wonder if much of the content is missing. In this dub version, if noting was removed, then the ST would be either very fast paced or abbreviated dialog to allow time to read.

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Last: Beauty and the Beast

Wow. I don't know if I can wait a year for The Lion King

Next: Who knows. Maybe Sound of Music. NF sent absolutely nothing today and is not acknowledging receiving my movies. Hope they don't start this again.

S~

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Don Landis said:
Saw it too tonight. Posted some other comments in the Book review thread for you.

I know you and I differ on whether to watch with language we understand or not but one thing I found interesting about the English dub version on the Blu Ray vs the original language version- With English language version, the person on camera may be reading a newspaper headline which is spoken as thought verbiage by the person so you not only get what they are speaking to each other but also you will get a very clever way of having the key printed language translated as well. I've never seen this done before. Also, this production had the dub very well timed to lips and the emotion was well acted. I plan to go back and watch the English ST version in places to compare. One of the observations I have made in the past is the ST text copy often appears quite abbreviated and it makes me wonder if much of the content is missing. In this dub version, if noting was removed, then the ST would be either very fast paced or abbreviated dialog to allow time to read.
Ill check out the dubbed version. Sounds like it is better than it was with the first film.

I am not opposed to dubbing. I just hate stuff out of sync.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Most Asian stuff and Spanish stuff is really bad dubbing production. I will admit. But having to read the captions is far more distracting to me and tiring, so I see it as least of two evils, not knowing what is happening or watching silly looking dubbing / sync. Also, I know a little Spanish and so often when I do get a Spanish movie I see the text captions are most inaccurate, often abbreviated phrases when the original sound track was longer. My Brother in law, Chinese, said the same thing about Chinese subtitles in English.

Tattoo was ( IMO ) equally as good on the voice acting and sync, so if you became annoyed with it then likely you will never be happy with Fire either. As I said before, enjoy your reading the movie. :)

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
Shortly after arriving on this continent many years ago I was literally shocked how much people disliked dubbed movies and prefer subtitles.
I could understand this from video buffs that frequent AVS forum, but the same applied to regular folks.
The story was always the same: the real original voice conveys almost as much information as the spoken content.

I believe this is a cultural issue, maybe linguistic: how long of a sentence does it take to express minutiae details?

I think the German language takes the crown here. It borders with ridiculous.
Sentences are at least twice as long when compared to English or Russian for the same content.
I have seen Burnt by the Sun with German subtitles and at least half the content was lost.

I can't say the same about Russian subtitles to (old) English language movies.
Case in point: McKenna's Gold. I remember watching it in Russia and then re-watching here in Canada.
If anything, I'd say the original had less details than the Russian subtitles...:)

Here the reason could be more of a tradition...
How many countries in the world had world classics translated into their native language by Nobel Prize winners in literature?
Quite a bit of Shakespeare was translated into Russian by Pasternak (Doctor Zhivago).

And Shakespeare isn't exactly CNN. Just like Goethe isn't exactly Der Spiegel...

What English subtitles can do to German/French/Russian movies is another topic alltogether.

Diogen.

Last edited:

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Case in point: McKenna's Gold. I remember watching it in Russia and then re-watching here in Canada.
If anything, I'd say the original had less details than the Russian subtitles...:)
If I remember correctly, the Russian release of McKenna's Gold was actually dubbed. At least the wide-screen version that I watched in theaters when I was a kid. (I think I watched it 5 times in a row! It was my favorite movie back then!) Not only it was professionally dubbed, but they even wrote a Russian version of the song for opening (or was it closing) titles!

Speaking of Russian movies and English subtitles. The most creative subtitles I've ever seen were on the US theatrical release of Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor). A real work of art: animated subtitles that participate in the action: they move, shake, change shape and color, disappear behind the objects on the screen and dissolve like drops of blood in the water! Amazing! Unfortunately these subtitles are not available on the Blu-ray release of the movie. To see these subtitles, you would have to get a DVD release from Netflix and watch the undubbed version of the movie on the second side of the DVD.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I always thought it had to do with some elitist academia fascination with foreign languages. Kind of a make believe I speak and understand more languages than I really do. It always amused me.
I took 2 years of German in high school and can hardly understand any of it these days. Two years of Latin helped me pass English class. :D I learned Mexican in the street and understand more than I speak. I'd like to become more proficient in Spanish because I live where it really is a second language. I'd like to learn Chinese but mostly to recognize the written language. I have a fascination with their written language. Now this is more than just talk with me, as I have already purchased the Rosetta Stone Spanish set of CD's last month. Haven't started it yet, though as I've been busy with some other priorities. Once I complete that, Chinese is next on my list. MY goal is more to understand, than to converse but if I can do that, all the better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)