LCD Opinions

BrianMis

Original PIT Dweller
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
Western PA
Well my Samsung bit the dust last night and I am in need of a new TV. I intend to have the Samsung fixed but I want to buy another to use for the time being. I'll put this set in the bedroom once I get the DLP back.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these sets? I looked at the Vizio last night and It had a beautiful picture with 2 HDMI and 2 Componets but the contrast ratio is 700:1.

I have 2 friends that have the OLEVIA and they rave about it. It has a 1200:1 contrast ratio, but only 1 HDMI and 1 Componet.

I have never paid much attention to contrast ratio but with LCD's I understand it's important.

OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV 232V (Circuit City)
Vizio 32" Widescreen LCD HDTV w/ Digital Tuner, VW32LHDTV10A (Wal-Mart)

Anyone have any thoughts, I really trying to keep the price under $700.

Thanks.

What specs you looking for exactly? Inputs, resolution, etc. I REALLY like my 42 inch westinghouse I got for a second set for the price. It has some really nice blacks (not perfect, but I consider it very good for LCD). It's only 720p, but that is ok for what I wanted. It's on sale right now at bestbuy for not a bad price (slighly more than I paid a few months ago)

Vizio makes some nice stuff, espeically for the price. They make the components for MANY of the other manufacturers (LG I believe is mostly Vizio stuff rebadged, someone correct me if I am wrong).

I've never heard anything really bad about the ovlevia's either.

Edit:
Target has a 37inch Olevia with HD tuner on sale this week $688

Last edited:
You don't have alot of choices when you only want to spend $700. Either one should be good.

My dad just bought the 32" olevia. Id go with it, IMHO I think they are slightly ahead of Vizio right now in their quality. BUT, they are both good for the price range.

I have a 46" Sony 3LCDRPTV 46E2000 which is a damn good tv so far. If you have $400 more to spend Id highly recommend it.

I had the 42 inch Vizio LCD and the contrast ratio is key if you watch any sort of dark movie or tv programs. It was so bad i had to take it back, and swapped it for a Plasma.

here's a link to a vizio review - http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/VIZIO_GV42L_LCD_HDTV.htm

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=78733
However i have a Sony Bravia LCD (sorry dont know the CR), a little more than you wnat to spend. So i would say go for the highest CR you can it will definately impact your viewing.

Contrast is important, but properly calibrating the tv is too. My RPLCD Sony doesnt have as high a CR as my PLasma tv, but with tweaking the PQ is awesome.

My dad bought two Visio's at Costco (before the policy change) and I calibrated them with the SpyderTV I won at the CEDIA party last year, they look great!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I purchased the Visio and I must say for $600 I am impressed. I am still going to have to get it calibrated but it looks great, it will make a great 2nd HDTV, after I get the sammy fixed.

Thanks for this question. I spend my $$$ in the basement theater. I like the price point for the Visio/Olevia for my family room.

My E* (RCA) 34" tube is showing some tint instability, not sure how much longer it will last. But since I only paid $500 for it 2+ years ago, its served it's purpose.

I'd never do a Plasma -> Burn-In, Hi-Power, Hi-Altitude (Denver).

Can you actually see it? EVERYTHING I've ever seen about a projector says DARK room.

It's all about light control - you have to keep direct light off the screen but you don't have to sit in a bat cave. My wife can't stand to see lights reflected of our 32" Sony CRT so I already have light control in place. For sports that are already bright, I don't need to do much. For movies with a lot of dark scenes, the more light control the better. There are some new screen technologies that are allowing much better ambient light control though.

Here is an example I like to show those who think you need a bat cave:

HTWide2960.jpg

While I don't have a dedicated theater yet, here is a shot from my current setup. It is much lighter in the room but the camera has to adjust for the screen brightness. Notice the window:

ambientLight.jpg

Well last night I really got a chance to dive into connecting all my components, my Dish receiver worked well but I went through 3 SA8300HD's before I got one that worked correctly. The HDMI port on the first one didn't work at all. The second one the HDMI port worked but all the HD channels were unwatchable. The third one worked like a charm. So far I am very happy with this purchase, it will make a fine addition to the bedroom.

Definitely looks bright, not too bad. Once we get out of our rental and buy a house, I want to set up a projector kinds like the first picture. To me, those setups are badass.

Here are pics of current conundrum, With the huge slider in the living room I pretty much have to wait for my house to get a projector.

Pics are of the slider, the wall the projector would be on and the wall the screen would be on

Attachments

• slidingdoor.jpg
    slidingdoor.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 166
  • backwall.jpg
    backwall.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 182
  • frontwall.jpg
    frontwall.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 187
Well last night I really got a chance to dive into connecting all my components, my Dish receiver worked well but I went through 3 SA8300HD's before I got one that worked correctly. The HDMI port on the first one didn't work at all. The second one the HDMI port worked but all the HD channels were unwatchable. The third one worked like a charm. So far I am very happy with this purchase, it will make a fine addition to the bedroom.

Problem I had with the 8300 was random HDMI dropouts and snow, but they go away with a channel change.

Problem I had with the 8300 was random HDMI dropouts and snow, but they go away with a channel change.

The problem with that box is they never update the software. When I had cable put back in in December 06 they gave me a new 8300 right out of the box. I never connected it via the HDMI connector. When I realized the HDMI connector wasn't working and I exchanged the box they gave me one that was already used that was older than the original one I had. When I exchanged that one I received another new one, took it home in the box that was manufactured March of 07. This one works like a champ.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I purchased the Visio and I must say for $600 I am impressed. I am still going to have to get it calibrated but it looks great, it will make a great 2nd HDTV, after I get the sammy fixed.

Good Choice, I have both an Olevia and a Vizio. Did you get the Walmart version or the Costco one? Walmart in all black looks nice. I have the Costco version which is slightly different than the walmart one.
IMO the Vizio after calibration is as good as a Sony for PQ