Leasing vs. Buying your receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
What are the advantages of buying vs. leasing your receivers?
My understanding is that your monthly charges are the same whether you own or lease.
Don't you have to sign a 2 year contract to activate your receivers even if you buy them?
Is there any distinction between a leased/purchased Genie and any other receiver?
Can you resell purchased receivers after activation and are they still considered as owned?
Isn't the (new) purchased prices higher even if you have to pay for your upgrade?

There is no way to buy a Directv Receiver

That is simply not true Claude. You can buy them, but there aren't that many around. From what I understand, Directv employees sometimes have owned boxes for sale. Always check with the access card department to make sure any box you want is owned and not leased.

I'm told you can Buy them outright from Directv only. As Ice pointed out the HR21 Pro can be bought from retailers, but now solid signal also States a 24 month commitment still applies upon activation.
I hope that isn't true but that's what it says in their HR21pro AD.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...B-HD-DVR-PRO-Receiver-for-Ka-Ku-Band-(HR21PRO)

That may be only if it's a new account, which always carries a commitment regardless of the equipment. I don't think adding one to an existing account triggers a new commitment.

That may be only if it's a new account, which always carries a commitment regardless of the equipment. I don't think adding one to an existing account triggers a new commitment.
I hope your right.:D

Cause I wouldn't want to find out that Just spend $400 on a Receiver that still came with a commitment. LOL!

I'm also Told the HR34/44 is not for sale by Directv Currently to anyone except its employees. So who knows, I guess you could buy one off them.
HR24 is $499 from Directv.

That was last I knew, I may call and ask and confirm. I'll give you an update.

OK here is the confirmed list.
  • Genie HR34/44 Not for sale, and must lease with commitment
  • C31/41 Not for sale , Can lease with commitment for $99, Lease without commitment $199 + SH
  • H25 $299 to own, $199 to lease without a commitment,$99 with commitment. +SH (R16 as well)
  • HR24 $499 to own, $299 to lease without commitment, $199 with commitment +SH

Last edited:
OK here is the confirmed list.
  • Genie HR34/44 Not for sale, and must lease with commitment
  • C31/41 Not for sale , Can lease with commitment for $99, Lease without commitment $199 + SH
  • H25 $299 to own, $199 to lease without a commitment,$99 with commitment. +SH (R16 as well)
  • HR24 $499 to own, $299 to lease without commitment, $199 with commitment +SH

That sounds very plausible. I have never investigated any further, but only offer our customers the last option with some out of pocket expense + commitment. Not by choice, but from Directv's agenda for retailers. Most will not pay the huge out of pocket cost.

What about buying a receiver from a place like Solid Signal, don't you own it then? If not, why would you buy any receiver from them?

Any receiver you get from an online vendor will be a leased unit unless it's an HR21PRO.

What about buying a receiver from a place like Solid Signal, don't you own it then? If not, why would you buy any receiver from them?

because then you know the exact model you get. If you order a 2 tuner DVR from D* it could be a HR21, 22, 23 or 24. Ordering from a vendor you know you would get a HR24 as example

I just bought a owned HR24-200 from eBay for 275.00 so check there for owned boxes, But always check for receiver id number and contact Directv Access Card Dept or email them is fine through Directv website and give them the receiver id number to make sure it's owned with no account balance owed.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Ive gotten owned boxes off ebay as well, just check with directv on the RID before buying it. The r22 was a popular dvr to buy outright as it became an hddvr for the price of a dvr if you had another piece of hd equipment on your account. The new pricing from 2012 kinda killed this popularity, but the boxes are out there.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

The new pricing from 2012 kinda killed this popularity, but the boxes are out there.

you are right......................I just bought two HR24'S off e-bay, they are both listed as OWNED.!!!:D

If not, why would you buy any receiver from them?
Because even if you pay $199 for HD DVR from Directv, which you more then likely will, Unless your out of a commitment. You could end up with an HR22.
Atleast with Solid signal for $199 your going to get HR24.

Are these boxes brand New in Box when buying them off ebay?

Cause Quite frankly I would rather lease a Brand New one for $199, or $299 since the box is of no use without Directv service anyway.

Just wondering why you would buy them?

No, they are almost certainly used boxes. Just need to repeat everyone's advice about checking the RID before you buy, otherwise you will end up with an expensive doorstop.
There are really only three advantages of having an additional owned box instead of a leased one.
1. It does not extend your commitment by another two years
2. You can suspend service on it without having to return the box
3. You can upgrade the internal drive instead of connecting an external one.

You can of course also sell the box if you change providers, but most people rarely do this, because by the time they want to sell the box, it's old technology (I have a closet with several old DirecTV boxes to prove it).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)