Leaving Dish - Can I Watch Recordings?

OhioDon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Ohio
I am probably going to leave Dish because we lost Fox Sports Ohio. We have quite a few recordings on the DVR. Will Dish require me to return the Hopper which we received just over two years ago? If not, is there any way I can watch the recordings on the Hopper after my Dish service is cancelled?

Shortly after cancellation, those recordings will be gone forever. You might consider dropping to the cheapest program package (Welcome?) until you’re done watching. And yes, you must return the Hopper. If they want the LNB, tell them you can’t reach it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Shortly after cancellation, those recordings will be gone forever. You might consider dropping to the cheapest program package (Welcome?) until you’re done watching. And yes, you must return the Hopper. If they want the LNB, tell them you can’t reach it.

I have a 211K with the outboard HDD. I presume if I dropped Dish, those recordings on the outboard HDD would still be there, but I could not view them without an activated receiver. Somewhere I read, there was software available to de-code them into something you could watch on a computer, but it was quite technical if I remember correctly.

Somewhere I read, there was software available to de-code them into something you could watch on a computer, but it was quite technical if I remember correctly.

It's encrypted, so you can't view them without breaking that encryption. I am unaware of anybody succeeding in doing that for an external disk.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's encrypted, so you can't view them without breaking that encryption. I am unaware of anybody succeeding in doing that for an external disk.
If I cancel, relocate, and open an account with a different receiver a year later will the EHD play on that receiver ?

If I cancel, relocate, and open an account with a different receiver a year later will the EHD play on that receiver ?

I am not certain but for the EHD on DVR's, the encryption is tied to your account number. If you cancel, the account number vanishes and Dish won't bother to recreate that same account number in the future. I would presume that the 211 EHD works the same way.

Reactions: glynnp
I am not certain but for the EHD on DVR's, the encryption is tied to your account number. If you cancel, the account number vanishes and Dish won't bother to recreate that same account number in the future. I would presume that the 211 EHD works the same way.
Does DISH put a time limit on pausing an account ?

Nope. It is tied to the account number also. New account, new account number.

It makes for sticky customers.

If you disconnect the coax from the receiver and don't reconnect it, then cancel, the receiver won't know it's deactivated and you can still watch the recordings until you have to send it back

Sent from my LG-H932 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
If you disconnect the coax from the receiver and don't reconnect it, then cancel, the receiver won't know it's deactivated and you can still watch the recordings until you have to send it back

Sent from my LG-H932 using the SatelliteGuys app!
For a time, then there is an automatic kill switch built in and the receiver deactivates. That time is less than a month if I remember correctly. As an example, if you had a 211 sitting in an RV for months during the Winter, you would need to reactivate it before you could use it again.

For a time, then there is an automatic kill switch built in and the receiver deactivates. That time is less than a month if I remember correctly. As an example, if you had a 211 sitting in an RV for months during the Winter, you would need to reactivate it before you could use it again.

That’s the way my Wally in the RV works. I can deactivate it, but it’s still with my account. After winter, come time to roll the wheels, I bring Wally in the house, direct connect it to the home dish, activate it and update the software (if needed). Much faster in the house. Then I return it to the RV and we’re good2go!

Do you have analog output on your DVR? ( Use the Y, Pr, Pb) plus analog audio) This can then be connected to a digitizing card in your computer that will create a compressed file of your programs as you play them back. I once thought I was going to drop Dish and backed up all my recordings on the DVR via analog connection. It's not true HD but watchable. If the programming is really important for content, not quality then that is something you might consider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)