Unable to watch recordings on my remote Hopper3 receiver.

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
Once again I am not able to watch recordings on the remote Hopper 3 receiver.
Family Room Hopper3 is at H361 software.
Living Room Hopper3 is at H361 software.
PTAT is active on both Hopper3 receivers.

When trying to view any recorded program on my Living Room Hopper3 from my Family Room Hopper3 the following occurs:
1) On my Family Room Hopper3 I select DVR and select Hopper3 Living Room.
2) I see all the recordings on my Living Room Hopper3 receiver.
3) I select a recorded program such as Wild Heart recorded on 9/9/23 on UP channel 188.
4) I see the thumbnail and the summary, episodes, and cast all display correctly.
5) I select Start Over and a time bar displays for 1 sec and then the screen goes blank.
7) Hitting the info button brings up a screen with options to “Record This” or “Record Series”.
8) Hitting the enter button bring up a screen with options to “Close”, “Record”, or “Episodes”.
9) Hitting close brings up a blank screen.
10) Hitting Episodes brings up a list of all the episodes with the option to record all.

This occurs with any program located on the Living Room Hopper3 receiver attempting to be played on my Family Room Hopper3 .

To exit out of this I hit the Guide button and select a different channel than the channel that is displayed. The channel that is displayed is the channel of the program that I was trying to watch.

I can go to the Living Room Hopper3 and the recorded program plays fine. So the problem is occurring one way.

Since I was unable to play programs recorded on my Living Room Hopper3 from my Family Room Hopper3 I decided to test and I was able to watch programs recorded on my Family Room Hopper3 on my Living Room Hopper3.

This has occurred before so I expect it will fix itself once the Family Room Hopper3 reboots.

I know that Josh had engineering looking at my receivers so maybe they may see the issue.

It is now 11:30 PM and PTAT has ended. I can now watch recordings from my Living Room Hopper3 on my Family Room Hopper3.
I have not rebooted either Hopper3 receiver so the problem must be related to PTAT. The interesting thing is that the recordings I was trying to watch were not part of PTAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Just checked with the team - seeing some oddities in your install...looks like your joey is trying to connect to both hoppers and your hoppers are somehow showing as linked together via moca...you don't have ethernet running between the two do you?

Definitely strange because the only time I've ever seen a joey attempt to link to multiple hosts - was an android joey.

1) My Living Room Hopper3 and my Family Room Hopper3 and my Joey3 are connected with a hybrid duo hub.
2) My Living Room Hopper3 is connected to my home network with the bottom Ethernet port.
3) My Family Room Hopper3 is connected via Moca.
4) My Bedroom Joey3 is connected via Moca
5) Bridging is turned on on both of my Hopper3 receivers.
6 I have reserved I/P addresses for all 3 devices.
Living room hopper3 192.168.1.6
Family Room Hopper3 192.169.1.17
Joey3 192.168.1.18
7) My Joey 3 is currently linked to the Family Room Hopper3.

I was watching a hallmark movie on my Family Room Hopper3 that had been recorded on my Living Room Hopper3. About 46 minutes into the movie during a commercial the display hung. It then displayed a weird message from the picture below. It thinks my Family Room Hopper3 is a Joey. I will email you pictures from the Whole Home Screen showing the device links.
a77fa2d85ba4088dc48445b573e0cf05.jpg

1) My Living Room Hopper3 and my Family Room Hopper3 and my Joey3 are connected with a hybrid duo hub.
2) My Living Room Hopper3 is connected to my home network with the bottom Ethernet port.
3) My Family Room Hopper3 is connected via Moca.
4) My Bedroom Joey3 is connected via Moca
5) Bridging is turned on on both of my Hopper3 receivers.
6 I have reserved I/P addresses for all 3 devices.
Living room hopper3 192.168.1.6
Family Room Hopper3 192.169.1.17
Joey3 192.168.1.18
7) My Joey 3 is currently linked to the Family Room Hopper3.

I was watching a hallmark movie on my Family Room Hopper3 that had been recorded on my Living Room Hopper3. About 46 minutes into the movie during a commercial the display hung. It then displayed a weird message from the picture below. It thinks my Family Room Hopper3 is a Joey. I will email you pictures from the Whole Home Screen showing the device links.
a77fa2d85ba4088dc48445b573e0cf05.jpg

Was this IPVOD?

So for two hopper3s you don't use a duo hub. I'm pretty sure there's no way both hoppers actually have all 16 tuners active this way. You should have a dpp lnb with a dph 42 switch and two solo hubs. However with that configuration your two hoppers wouldn't see each other and wouldn't be able to watch recordings from both. So ultimately you're having issues because it's not a supported configuration.

Just my thoughts but you probably should turn off bridging on the second Hopper 3.

Sent from my iPhone with Chrome real Satelliteguys don’t use tapatalk!

Was this IPVOD?
No, it was a recording from Hallmark channel 185.
So for two hopper3s you don't use a duo hub. I'm pretty sure there's no way both hoppers actually have all 16 tuners active this way. You should have a dpp lnb with a dph 42 switch and two solo hubs. However with that configuration your two hoppers wouldn't see each other and wouldn't be able to watch recordings from both. So ultimately you're having issues because it's not a supported configuration.
Yes I realize that the duo hub is not officially supported but i have successfully used this configuration since 2017. As you said it allows both Hopper3 receivers to access recordings on the remote Hopper3. Plus the Joey 3 can access recordings from both Hopper3 receivers. Several other Satelliteguys are using the duo hub with two Hopper3 receivers. Other customers with two Hopper3 receivers have used two solo hubs but then they tie both Solo hubs together to allow both Hopper3 receivers to access each other. I don't know whether both Hopper 3 receivers are accessing all 16 tuners but i have never had an issue with running out of tuners.

Just my thoughts but you probably should turn off bridging on the second Hopper 3.

Sent from my iPhone with Chrome real Satelliteguys don’t use tapatalk!
Bridging allows the Joey 3 to have internet access. I turn on bridging on both Hopper3 receivers since my Joey 3 can link to either Hopper3 receiver.

Bridging allows the Joey 3 to have internet access. I turn on bridging on both Hopper3 receivers since my Joey 3 can link to either Hopper3 receiver.
Since the Joey can view recordings from either Hopper it only needs to be linked to one of them.

Yes I realize that the duo hub is not officially supported but i have successfully used this configuration since 2017. As you said it allows both Hopper3 receivers to access recordings on the remote Hopper3. Plus the Joey 3 can access recordings from both Hopper3 receivers. Several other Satelliteguys are using the duo hub with two Hopper3 receivers. Other customers with two Hopper3 receivers have used two solo hubs but then they tie both Solo hubs together to allow both Hopper3 receivers to access each other. I don't know whether both Hopper 3 receivers are accessing all 16 tuners but i have never had an issue with running out of tuners.
Just because an unsupported configuration has worked in the past doesn't mean it will in the future, especially when dealing with electronics with frequent software updates.

Very strange you're getting a streaming error on a DVR event. I'll check to see if we have any details around what may be causing that..thanks!

this is basically the same issue that I am having with a newly installed wireless joey. The new joey is linked to the bedroom hws & the original joey is linked to the hws in the great room. The old joey can be linked to either hws & can access the recordings of either hws. The newly installed joey can only access the recording to the hws it is linked too (bedroom) & I also can not link it to the great room hws. The error that I receive is "this event has expired", like it was a rental or pay per view item. Another thing that I have noticed with the newly installed wireless joey is that when the guide appears it does not fill the screen, it takes a few seconds to fill the screen as it should.

this is basically the same issue that I am having with a newly installed wireless joey. The new joey is linked to the bedroom hws & the original joey is linked to the hws in the great room. The old joey can be linked to either hws & can access the recordings of either hws. The newly installed joey can only access the recording to the hws it is linked too (bedroom) & I also can not link it to the great room hws. The error that I receive is "this event has expired", like it was a rental or pay per view item. Another thing that I have noticed with the newly installed wireless joey is that when the guide appears it does not fill the screen, it takes a few seconds to fill the screen as it should.

For the event expired error - you're getting that on DVR recordings? Can you give me an example of something you've recorded and the steps you took to get the error? We can do some testing and if we can reproduce it - we can get it fixed.

Very strange you're getting a streaming error on a DVR event. I'll check to see if we have any details around what may be causing that..thanks!
Turns out that is the incorrect error - you're supposed to see a "Playback Error" which is an issue that you should hopefully be seeing less of this Thursday with the x62 label.

For the event expired error - you're getting that on DVR recordings? Can you give me an example of something you've recorded and the steps you took to get the error? We can do some testing and if we can reproduce it - we can get it fixed.
simple steps......I select dvr on the remote of the joey, select the non linked hws, choose a recorded program, choose start over. Then I get the event expired message. It only happens on the newly installed wireless joey. I can do the exact same steps on the original WJ and it works fine.

simple steps......I select dvr on the remote of the joey, select the non linked hws, choose a recorded program, choose start over. Then I get the event expired message. It only happens on the newly installed wireless joey. I can do the exact same steps on the original WJ and it works fine.
Thanks, what software are your receivers on?