Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

I don't understand why people keep asking why Lifetime wouldn't give Dish a contract extension. On Lifetime's site they say that they offered to extend the contract, more than once, but Dish pulled the channels off anyway.

Also, has anyone seen the letter on Dish's site to women's advocacy groups? They want to know why offering WE is contrary to what women want? Well, WE in no way compares at all to Lifetime in my opinion, and I'm sure alot would agree. Besides, alot of us were already recieving WE and Encore Love to begin with. So how is that compensating those of us who ahve premium channel packages. We are getting nothing in return for the loss of those two channels.

Also, what is up with that letter to the advocacy groups? Did they mistaken public service announcements for original movies dealing with women issues? They think they can shut the women viewers of Lifetime up by offering some little public service announcements? I don't even get that. I'm insulted enough as it is they think they can offer any old "women's" channel for Lifetime.

Besides that they are contradicting themselves by offering WE (women's entertainment) when they say Lifetime is being sexist by saying that Dish pulled the plug on WOMEN. If they think that was sexist and they think Lifetime should mention their male viewers as well, why did they put WE in replace of Lifetime? That doesn't make sense.

I would not have minded paying 4 more cents on my bill every month for Lifetime. I know people who don't watch it that much would disagree. I honestly wouldn't mind paying it for a channel I didn't like. Prices go up on everything. I can understand that. What I don't like is that the bill is going to go up $3.00 or $4.00 but with the loss of two channels now as well.

I called Directv and asked them about switching. They didn't even have time to even punch in my ss number and said I would need a $150 deposit? I know they can get credit reports really fast, but no sooner than I uttered the last number, they said there would be a $150 deposit. I'm thinking about going ahead and doing that, but am wondering if after I give them the money they will run into other requirements and I won't be able to get the service after all? Guess I will ask these questions on another forum here.

I live in a rural area, so I can't get cable. They did install it on the next street over, I wish they had come down to my street. I would definately switch to cable if I could.

luvmovies said:
I live in a rural area, so I can't get cable. They did install it on the next street over, I wish they had come down to my street. I would definately switch to cable if I could.

Petition the cable, they might with enough takers. If not, I would recommend c band w/ 4dtv and ku to go with it. check this out: http://mechtech.satforums.com/
Lee is really nice to deal with and can answer your questions.:up

luvmovies said:
I called Directv and asked them about switching. They didn't even have time to even punch in my ss number and said I would need a $150 deposit? I know they can get credit reports really fast, but no sooner than I uttered the last number, they said there would be a $150 deposit. I'm thinking about going ahead and doing that, but am wondering if after I give them the money they will run into other requirements and I won't be able to get the service after all?.

Well, we ordered Direct TV this evening, it will be installed in two days!!! Since we don't do revolving accounts, and pay cash for everything, we had to do the 150 deposit, and there was not a penny more tacked on. They were very quick, and I was not on hold forever (unlike whenever we call Dish!). We want our channels back so bad that we are losing $600, the amount already paid to Dish in advance! I look forward to having all of what Dish has PLUS so much, much more.

Pay the $150, and go with DTV!!

So Lifetime means so much to you that you gave up $600. For reruns of the sitcoms and movies of the week? Can't you rent all the women's movies you want for less that that?

I just don't get it. They dropped Lifetime and added Oxygen for good. Life goes on.

But I sure as heck don't want to pay $6 more a year so you can have what Lifetime offers. I'm assuming it's something like 50 cents a month, or 25 cents a month for each channel, not the 73 cents in the example. If everyone demanded 25 cents a month increases per channel, x120 real channels = that's $30 a month!

Think about that next time you say it's just a little increase, and for my $3 increase a month that should be able to cover ALL the programming fee increases. It obviously doesn't when one company tries to extort Dish customers.

twinrocks said:
Well, we ordered Direct TV this evening, it will be installed in two days!!! Since we don't do revolving accounts, and pay cash for everything, we had to do the 150 deposit, and there was not a penny more tacked on. They were very quick, and I was not on hold forever (unlike whenever we call Dish!). We want our channels back so bad that we are losing $600, the amount already paid to Dish in advance! I look forward to having all of what Dish has PLUS so much, much more.
Pay the $150, and go with DTV!!

$600?!?

Wow, I love television, but I don't think one channel has ever been worth that kind of cash to me. Each to their own, but IMHO that was a rash, knee jerk reaction, that cost you a lot of money.

Wow, a "knee jerk reaction"? Just cause I am a bit of a nicer person here, I will explain a bit more about our situation. My Mother is 81 years old. Due to health and eyesight about the ONLY thing she has left to do is watching TV. She can't operate a VCR and movies, she can barely operate the TV remote, and has to have a large TV in order to see it. She watches LMN, and depends on it during the night when she can't sleep because most the other channels have paid programming. So, yeah, it was worth it and worth the money because she has been very unhappy over this whole thing. I guess when you have very little left that brings you enjoyment in life, $600 dollars is little to pay. If it had not been for that, I would have waited until the end of July to switch......but I still would have switched!!

quite frankly, I don't think E* will get it back, And plus with the 150 deposit to D*, I believe they give a $10 discount per month for like 15 months to pay ya back.

Neither side is being totally forthcoming. But that des not mean that there is any substance to all the speculation about what they must have meant. I wish that both sides had kept the matter private.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Its funny, Dish keeps dropping channels due to costs, yet they are raising their rates 4%, while DirecTV has all the channels Dish dropped and is not raising their rates.

Is something wrong with this picture?

Yes.

Kept both!

Stargazer said:
I bet you will feel pretty bad for losing $600 if Dish Network gets it back this month.

Well, actually, we are not getting rid of Dish, since it is already paid for. We will leave the system in tack in case we discover we don't like DTV we can just plug Dish back in. I doubt that will happen though.

When I talked to the DTV person I asked about price increases. He told me there would be no increase until 2008. Do I believe him? Not sure :) I have lived long enough to know that nothing is for certain, and everything goes up in price....except wages!!

twinrocks said:
Well, actually, we are not getting rid of Dish, since it is already paid for. We will leave the system in tack in case we discover we don't like DTV we can just plug Dish back in. I doubt that will happen though.
When I talked to the DTV person I asked about price increases. He told me there would be no increase until 2008. Do I believe him? Not sure :) I have lived long enough to know that nothing is for certain, and everything goes up in price....except wages!!
Guess what!! wait till next tuesday There a couple threads already discussing the issue

I would rather them scrap this channel then jack up our rates very high that's what would happen had they not removed lifetime.Don't get me wrong I hate to see channels go but I don't like steep price increases.Their going up a little in February but it would have been much higher if lifetime would have stayed on.Saying this we will probebly see lifetime make a return when and if they can get a contract worked out.

iKramerica said:
So Lifetime means so much to you that you gave up $600. For reruns of the sitcoms and movies of the week? Can't you rent all the women's movies you want for less that that?

I just don't get it. They dropped Lifetime and added Oxygen for good. Life goes on.

But I sure as heck don't want to pay $6 more a year so you can have what Lifetime offers. I'm assuming it's something like 50 cents a month, or 25 cents a month for each channel, not the 73 cents in the example. If everyone demanded 25 cents a month increases per channel, x120 real channels = that's $30 a month!

Think about that next time you say it's just a little increase, and for my $3 increase a month that should be able to cover ALL the programming fee increases. It obviously doesn't when one company tries to extort Dish customers.

What channel is oxygen on?I didn't know dish added that one.

Lifetime is the only women's network that consistently provides not only top quality programming, but resources for women that are vital to their health and well being, including information on where to turn for help on such concerns as breast cancer and domestic violence. We believe it is a disservice to women nationwide to remove this programming.

Perhaps your board of directors is not as responsive as it might be if it were more representative of your customer, employee, and stockholder base. According to your website, your top management team is 100% male, and your board of directors has only one female out of ten members. Such an imbalance can indicate that the interests of your customers, stockholders, and employees are not fully represented, since those groups are most surely much more diverse than the DISH leadership.

We strongly urge you to reconsider the decision regarding Lifetime, and restore this excellent programming for your subscribers. We would also like to urge you to address the gender imbalance in your top management and board. We are available at any time to discuss either of these matters, and hope you will respond to this communication.

That is laughable :D

How many female business owners are embarrassed as hell that Lifetime is perpetuating the stereotypes that they've been fighting against? They've got zero business sense, and are negotiating and making their case based on the fact that they are women and deserve special attention because of their sex alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)