Lifetime Gets Backup in EchoStar Spat

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
A coalition of women’s advocacy groups has banded together to publicly demand for the return of the Lifetime network to EchoStar’s DISH Network.

In an open letter to EchoStar chairman Charlie Ergen, representatives from more than 50 organizations, including the Ms. Foundation for Women and the National Organization for Women, called for DISH Net to bring back Lifetime, which was dropped by the operator on Jan. 1 after the programmer’s carriage deal expired.

The letter, which was also signed by no less a luminary than Gloria Steinem, ran as a full-page ad in the Wednesday morning editions of The New York Times, The Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain News.

In the Times, the letter ran alongside a full-page ad from Time Warner Cable, calling for area subscribers to “Switch from Dish Now.”

The gist of the letter is that in denying women access to Lifetime and the Lifetime Movie net, DISH is also denying women information about a number of social and health issues.

“By removing Lifetime as an option for your subscribers, millions of women will not get the inspiration and support they need about vital issues such as breast cancer, heart disease, violence against women, economic equality and more,” the letter read.

The letter went on to charge that Ergen’s “drastic, unnecessary actions and unwillingness to restore Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network to the air and to continue working toward an agreement” suggest that the EchoStar chief does not “have women’s best interests in mind.”

EchoStar said that the standoff with Lifetime stemmed from the net’s demand for a 76 percent increase in its license fee for both networks, as well as a proviso calling for carriage for a third service. Lifetime continued to deny those claims Wednesday; a spokesman said that the net “asked for a modest increase for both Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network, amounting to four cents per subscriber per month for both channels.”

In addition to the ad campaign––which is actively sponsored by Lifetime––women’s groups have held rallies in Greenville, S.C., and Houston calling for the network’s reinstatement.

Both sides say that they are back at the negotiating table, although EchoStar continues to stick to its rate increase claim, adding that it would gladly go public with the terms of Lifetime’s original proposal, should the net waive their joint confidentiality agreement.

Last week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Ergen blasted Lifetime, saying that in his 25 years in the business he’d never encountered “such an outrageous demand for payment... from a contractual point of view.” He also said that Lifetime had grown as avaricious as ESPN, which he characterized as the “most greedy” network.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/cabletv/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001842680

Charlie is not going to move on this. If the ladies want TV for women and Lifetime does not move soon then Charlie will replace Lifetime with Oxygen, which is also television for women.

That tactic alone would make me refuse to ever carry lifetime again.

Maybe the seemigly endless marketing terms (TV sucks, promise of HD, better tv for all etc) can now include
Dish Network -- Now lifetime free and wearing real fur! :)

My wife would actually prefer Oxygen to lifetime. She's sick of the battered single mother movies.

Charlie is not going to move on this. If the ladies want TV for women and Lifetime does not move soon then Charlie will replace Lifetime with Oxygen, which is also television for women.

They shouldn't be mutually exclusive...we should have already had Oxygen in addition to Lifetime and LMN.

First they call for Paterno's resignation, now this? Isn't there a bake sale or something going on to keep these women busy? :)

j/k - but putting flame suit on anyway.

I would much rather have oxyegen. They have that show with the old lady that has some sex talk show and usually is flinging a dildo in the air

SatinKzo said:
That tactic alone would make me refuse to ever carry lifetime again.

I'd agree. If this group wants Lifetime so bad, they can tell Lifetime to forego the ridiculous price increase. Since DISH is willing to make the contract terms available to the public and Lifetime is refusing, that should be a pretty clear indication that Lifetime has something to hide and that the requested price increase is indeed 76%. Lifetime keeps indicating that it is not a 76% increase but won't say what it actually is. They just keep calling it "reasonable." If it's not 76%, Lifetime should say what it is.

CPanther95 said:
First they call for Paterno's resignation, now this? Isn't there a bake sale or something going on to keep these women busy? :)
j/k - but putting flame suit on anyway.
Yeah, what are they doing outside the kitchen!

Just kidding ladies!

Seriously though, Gloria Steinam to me has lost a lot of credibilty. Much like Jesse Jackson is today. Sad, because they used to stand for important things.

Lifetime has lost any credibilty with me, I said from day one this is BS.

LIFETIME IF YOUR NOT HIDING ANYTHING, TELL US WHAT YOU REALLY ASKED DISH FOR.

I challenge Lifetime to prove to me that Dish really did what they are accused of. Please for the love of pete, put this mess to bed. :rolleyes:

Don't these women have anything better to do? Why are they demanding it to be on Dish so much when they can simply go to DirecTv or cable to get it? Come on! Paleeze!

Stargazer said:
Don't these women have anything better to do? Why are they demanding it to be on Dish so much when they can simply go to DirecTv or cable to get it? Come on! Paleeze!
Or better yet and this one might suprise ya. 4DTV (has both Lifetime and Oxygen)

Im sorry but what redeeming value does lifetime and its channels have to offer to the female members of our society? Further what practical and pertinant enformation inregards to health and medical issues does either of these channels offer that you wont find on discovery health, discovery, and TLC for that matter? In all that times that Ive had to unfortunately watch either of these channels I have never ever seen any health related programming geared towards womens health. What I have seen are movies that are critical of the male gender portraying them often in negative shadows, the psycho blonde room renter, and the bad kid.

I like the "Family Guy" take on the channel during a commercial break for "Sisters":

"Lifetime. Television for idiots."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)