LNB for 25mm mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jduffin

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 7, 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah
I recently acquired a commercial grade 1m Channel Master dish with a 25mm LNB holder. I understand that if you remove the plastic case on some LNBs that were meant to mount in a 40mm holder, it may fit OK in a 25mm holder. Has anyone tried this before? Does anyone have a recommendation which LNB I should purchase? I prefer to get a universal LNB but would like some recommendations for a standard LNB as well.

Thanks.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I have done that numerous times. Just gut the plastic off right behind the eye and you're fine. Some LNB's though it wont work like that because behind the eye isnt 25mm

Here are some examples. The 1st is a LNB normal and 2nd is gutted. The others are dishes where I did that.

Attachments

• 000_0312.jpg
    000_0312.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 000_0313.jpg
    000_0313.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 000_0348.jpg
    000_0348.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 000_0650.jpg
    000_0650.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 000_0651.jpg
    000_0651.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IM000830.JPG
    IM000830.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 176

jduffin

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 7, 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately, the dish did not come with a feedhorn. I have been trying to locate one for cheap -- but can't seem to find one. I do have a LNB (minus the feedhorn) which would work if I did have a feedhorn. Anyone know where to find a feedhorn?

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
Please post a photo of the assembled dish. I have several versions in a dusty box hidden in the top of the warehouse racks....

jduffin

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 7, 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah
Here are a couple of pictures of the dish and mount. The LNB I have is a California Amplifier brand from my old BUD. Yes -- I do realize that I will only get one polarity with it. However, that should be adequate for testing as I am thinking about experimenting with this dish as a mini-bud.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN1198s.jpg
    DSCN1198s.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN1199s.jpg
    DSCN1199s.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 159

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
The feedhorns in my collection are bolt on and will not fit that mount (I have the same dish). For that dish I have found that a specific feedhorn is not necessary. A stripped down offset type LNBF should have quite good performance. Losing approx. 5% SQ when swapping out the two output feedhorn to a LNBF. Never got into further experimentation to determine if the loss was related to the different electronics or the feedhorn / waveguide.

Channel Master has been sold several times and is now owned by Raven. They now carry the feedhorn. Not sure of the cost.

jduffin

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 7, 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah
Just a follow-up on this thread. I ended up buying dual output DMSI universal LNB. I was able to remove the plastic case fairly easily with just a screwdriver. The throat size of the innards were 0.8", so I had to wrap some electrical tape around the throat to built it up to about 1". I then mounted the LNB and aimed my dish at IS9 where I was able to quickly find a signal and tweak it in. In fact, I was surprised how strong the signal was from IS9 being that I am in the west. Outside of a couple channels with color-bars, there doesn't seem to be much else on this satellite at this time. Does this satellite get any busier at other times? I assume the main content is feeds.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped me out with this!

mikelib

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Jersey Sure
I then mounted the LNB and aimed my dish at IS9 where I was able to quickly find a signal and tweak it in. In fact, I was surprised how strong the signal was from IS9 being that I am in the west. Outside of a couple channels with color-bars, there doesn't seem to be much else on this satellite at this time. Does this satellite get any busier at other times? I assume the main content is feeds.
When I first started in FTA, April of this year, There use to be an India TV station in the clear. It went off the air some time in May or June. Since then all I gotten is the one transponder with the two station with color bars and one scrambled station. Congratulation on hitting 58 W from your location
mike lib

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
congrats!

58 would have feeds on it. They use to have Cubavision International on there but I dont know where it went

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)