"lnb-in" and "lnb-out"... definition?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kevin0821

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Arizona
I found a USB satellite TV tuner with a DVB-S support from eBay, and while I looked on the side, I found that it says "lnb-in" and "lnb-out". Does that mean that you hook LNB's in there or is there any methods for that? Please reply....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

It means that there is an input for connecting to the LNBF and also a loop out for connecting to another tuner (with limitations).

Make sure the card also processes DVBS2. Think you would be disappointed quickly if the card only receives DVBS.

It means that there is an input for connecting to the LNBF and also a loop out for connecting to another tuner (with limitations).

Make sure the card also processes DVBS2. Think you would be disappointed quickly if the card only receives DVBS.
How would you do that?

Simply connect a coax cable from the LNBF on the satellite dish to the LNB IN connector on the card.
When you mean card, I didn't mean that... I was talking about the USB tuner from eBay(that I looked at when searching "usb satellite tuner") that functions the DVB-S support.

Sorry, didn't catch that you referenced an USB tuner!

Same information applies. The USB unit has LNB Input and Loop Out. Connect the coax from the LNBF on the dish to the LNB IN port on the USB tuner.

And 1 more thing, isn't there any USB satellite tuner for my "lappy"(laptop) which supports Windows 7?

This link shows a USB DVB-S2 receiver with support for Win7
http://www.store.proftuners.com/dvb-s-s2-pci/10-ecouteurs-a-isolation-sonore-shure-se210-blanc.html

About the LNB question, to make the USB receiver work, you take a cable from the LNB (on the dish) and connect it to LNB In on the USB receiver.

If you only use 1 receiver you will not use LNB Out.

If you add another receiver that you want to use with the same LNB (simultaneously) you would connect a cable from LNB Out on the first receiver to LNB In on the second receiver.

That's the basics, there's more to consider if you end up adding a second receiver, however a single receiver setup would not use LNB Out.

To clarify, this applies to all sat receivers regardless whether they are USB, PCI or set top boxes.

All USB satellite tuners and PCI satellite tuner cards need a signal from the satellite. These devices must be connected to a correct sized satellite dish with the correct type of LNBF. The satellite dish/LNBF is the antenna that supplies signals to the tuner. Without connection to an appropriate satellite dish and correct LNBF, the USB tuner will receive nothing.

I can't think of anytime that I have ever use Windows Media Player to watch live satellite channels. I have used it to watch recorded programming, but not live. Windows Media Center supports some satellite tuners. You probably will not be happy using Windows Media Center with a satellite tuner. WMC does not support satellite tuners very well and only provide limited features. You are better going with some of the other programs discussed in your previous thread about the TBS satellite tuner.

Does USB satellite tuners broadcast satellites in North America, like Echostar, Nimiq, and maybe anything in a Ku-band?

What I meant is that I saw clips about live satellite channels being broadcast on WMC by "buydvb"....

USB satellite tuners will receive unscrambled, free channels from any satellite source as long as the tuner supports the format that signal is transmitted in.

Look at the specifications of the tuner and make sure it can decode the modulation types of the channels that you want to receive. Typically the channels on Nimiq and Echostar are scrambled and you cannot view, but sometimes a few channels are unscrambled.

I would recommend at minimum to purchase a unit that tunes DVBS and S2.

USB tuners and PCI tuners are more difficult to set-up and typically have glitches. Since this is your first satellite system, I would recommend that you get your feet wet with a system based on a set top box receiver first until you learn the technology then migrate to a computer tuner after you have some experience.

USB satellite tuners will receive unscrambled, free channels from any satellite source as long as the tuner supports the format that signal is transmitted in.

Look at the specifications of the tuner and make sure it can decode the modulation types of the channels that you want to receive. Typically the channels on Nimiq and Echostar are scrambled and you cannot view, but sometimes a few channels are unscrambled.

I would recommend at minimum to purchase a unit that tunes DVBS and S2.

USB tuners and PCI tuners are more difficult to set-up and typically have glitches. Since this is your first satellite system, I would recommend that you get your feet wet with a system based on a set top box receiver first until you learn the technology then migrate to a computer tuner after you have some experience.
Well, I'm not getting it yet...(I might get it if something's wrong with my Hauppauge 950Q) I just want more info on buying satellite tuners. The tuner from the link "trinidex" showed me is in DVB S2...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New Channel on Galaxy 19

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)