LNB Question(s)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
As of late I have been struggling with AMC-9. (In particular with RTN.) I can pick up the NBC news feeds in the high 70s to mid 80s on the quality meter on my Coolsat 5000. RTN continues to come in at around 66 though. I have fine tuned the altitude and angle until I've worn the paint off the dish mounts. I've also adjusted the skew, and rechecked the line of sight. No major obstructions. The best I can get is around 67-68 on a clear day.

I also pick up Nimiq 4 Bell scrambled channels (BITE, MILIT, LLNE, ...) strong when I do a blind search for all channels almost until I get to AMC 3. Also, I can no longer find RTN when I do a blind search. I have to restore them with a backup from my computer.

Today I got the idea to switch the LNB on my dish from a ROC CSS11G to a DMS International DSS922. Both have IF: 11.7 - 12.75 Ghz and LO - 10.75. After the switch, the only channels I could pick up in this region was VU-HD, and some VU radio channels. None of which had I ever received before. Also, the channels that I were picking up from the news feeds and the scrambled Bell channels are gone. No change in dish orientation.

Sorry about the length of the post, but I wanted to give as much information as possible. Does anyone have any Idea why this might happen, or why I am having trouble receiving RTN?

Hey LoTech; I am having simular problems when I did a factory reset on My MercuryII Box. I lost the NBC feeds. So I will be watching this post. Good Luck

What kind/size of dish are you using? Changing lnbs out might've changed the focal distance, for one thing, could be why you got diff channels and lost others. Also, you may have had the lnbf skewed differently.

I have a 30W x 34H Winegard dish. I took special care to orient the LNBs in the same position, but I guess there could be some differences.

I just updated my CS-5000 to firmware v. 1.01, restored my saved channels for AMC 9, and reset my LO to 10.75. After the update I could no longer pick up RTN with either a blind scan, or with my previously stored channel info. All the other AMC 9 feeds were coming in with better than 90 on the quality meter. When I re-flashed back to v. 1.00 and reset the LO to 10.75, RTN came in again with signal quality about 66.

Is anyone else out there having this type of problem?

RTN is probably a weaker signal
on my coolsat 5000 (version 1.01) i had to manually add rtn
the main difference between version 1.00 and 1.01
was the meter levels changes 1.01 reports higher levels threshold is the same at 63%
also the version 1.01 added better fine tuning motor control while using 1.2

Gabshere,

How are you doing your manual add? When I went to manual scan and added TP 11.733H (which is where I was getting RTN before) the quality meter only read about 20. After this I decided to check TP 11.735H (which is where others reported picking up RTN). Same thing...

weird you're not getting it and when you do its at low quality

I have a Winegard 76cm dish here in Minnesota and it comes in at 72 quality on the CS5000 with stock software (1.00)

with version 1.00 the transponder feed at 11775 H 4232 should be at 82 quality. That feed blows the meter ;)

if you want to avoid scanning in the circular stuff just make sure you set your upper scan limit to something lower then 12224, like 12200

yeah i just go to the manual scan and add a transponder ( with the freq , polarity and SR it pops right in)

I manually deleted it to check and then blind scan and it skips it 95% of the time. so i just manually add and tell it ok and it scans and pops right in.

its raining here and signal Quality on my coolsat is 67 - 68 %

For the RTN feeds on AMC9, the larger the dish the better. Every square inch of dish the better.

I'm currently using a 90cm dish and plan repoint my 1.0m Primestar dish over. I'll swap the 90 over to G18.The smaller dish would be fine for that.

I feel at times that I'm barely above the pixelation threshold now, with 50-60Q levels on the Pansat.

Now if I could just find a 1.2m Primestar dish.

For the RTN feeds on AMC9, the larger the dish the better. Every square inch of dish the better.

I'm currently using a 90cm dish and plan repoint my 1.0m Primestar dish over. I'll swap the 90 over to G18.The smaller dish would be fine for that.

I feel at times that I'm barely above the pixelation threshold now, with 50-60Q levels on the Pansat.

Now if I could just find a 1.2m Primestar dish.

Every inch is better that is correct, my 90-cm Primestar is doing well on RTN. Heck with a 1.2.. If I had the cash I'd do at least a 1.8 for ku that was my original plan back in the day like 15 years ago but never followed through. A 1.8 would really burn up the sky. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dish Alert for Southern WI

Best Set-up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)