LNB White Cover Cap Toasted & Broken.What you recommend to put?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vallenato

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2011
America
I have a couple LNB’s (Ku Linear/Circular) with the white cap toasted and Broken.
Any Tips, What you recommend to put over cap. Any other material or plastic that works fine or any dealer that is selling these caps..
Thanks in advance:rolleyes:

I 'blow molded' a clear soda bottle to cover the elliptical feed horn on the 84e. Think it's been there a year and a half now and still hasn't gotten brittle or discolored. Used a heat gun intended to shrink monokote on model airplanes. USE GLOVES. it's HOT.

I cut out a round from a plastic lid and put glue around the edge for a watertight fit.

The lid idea was one I thought of too, maybe from a plastic detergent bottle, they're about the proper diameter.

A clear soda bottle would be best to use. It will last for many years and will not yellow.
A friend of mine and I used them for our model airplanes years ago for making the windows. So after 10years they are still intact no crack and no yellowing, but of course it was not exposed 24 hrs every day to weather conditions.

My home made natural insect killer was in a 1 gallon clear water jug outside the house for 2 1/2 years, exposed to sun..rain...ice and snow and the water jug looked the same way from day 1 until I got rid off.

This is from Wikipedia.....
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET, PETE or polyester) is commonly used for carbonated beverage, water bottles and many food products. PET provides very good alcohol and essential oil barrier properties, generally good chemical resistance (although acetones and ketones will attack PET) and a high degree of impact resistance and tensile strength. The orienting process serves to improve gas and moisture barrier properties and impact strength. This material does not provide resistance to very high temperature applications—max. temp. 200 °F (93 °C).

Last edited:
Good Ideas!! Thanks everybody..
The Pet clear soda bottle and springles lid sound good!!.. What kind of Glue or silicone could be Fine to stick this??

just a guess

My local 99-cent store carries small tubes of RTV in red, white, black, and clear.
I would run some tests to make sure it sticks to everything.
Then, clean 'n dry the pieces with alcohol to remove finger oils.

edit:
If the RTV won't stick to your new plastic disc, put RTV on the feedhorn metal lip, press on the disc, then apply more RTV overlapping the rim on the top of the disc.
Should make a good seal around the edge.

Last edited:
My local 99-cent store carries small tubes of RTV in red, white, black, and clear.
I would run some tests to make sure it sticks to everything.
Then, clean 'n dry the pieces with alcohol to remove finger oils.

edit:
If the RTV won't stick to your new plastic disc, put RTV on the feedhorn metal lip, press on the disc, then apply more RTV overlapping the rim on the top of the disc.
Should make a good seal around the edge.

I like to add..., if you sand the plastics a little bit where you add the RTV before you use RTV etc , the RTV will stick better to it.

If you want to be able to remove the cover at a later time use RTV like Anole said.
You also can use plastic epoxy that is sold at lowes hardware store, whalmart etc for about $4...but it may be very difficult to remove if you have to, since it is permanent.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)