LNB with no cover?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

intrac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
I saw one one of the forums, that you have used LNBs without their plastic covers and I can't find the thread again.

Have you had any problems with them? Would you recommend some form of covering over them?

Wouldn't more appropriate to send PM instead of create new public thread for him personally ?

As to question - yes, those LNBFs without plastic cover run perfect for years; because it's created for aesthetic purpose not for weather protection.

oh smitty dont get your panties in a bunch :rolleyes: This aint the other areas of satguys. This is the FTA area where we have more lax rules (and more fun) :)

As for the OP question, the cover really doesnt do much as the LNB is still sealed.

as for "which thread"....well I've done that a few different times to LNB's ;)

Attachments

• 000_0313.jpg
    000_0313.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 000_0428.jpg
    000_0428.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 000_0536.jpg
    000_0536.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IM000837.JPG
    IM000837.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IM000838.JPG
    IM000838.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IM000854.JPG
    IM000854.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 140
Cover vs Housing

Perhaps Intrac meant the white circular cover in the front, as opposed the the gray plastic housing?

If that is the case, I seem to remember that someone suggested using a plastic lid from an aerosol can as a replacement to keep moisture and rain from collecting inside.

Just the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Seems most folks think the cover is necessary.

The Dish Pro LNBs have what appears to be silicon sealant around the edges and a silicon filler at a round hole what may be an adjustment hole.

Keeps the 'dobbers from setting up housekeeping on your dipole. That'll sure wreck a polarotor assy.................also be sure to make a few small icepick size punctures at the bottom to allow it to 'breathe' and condensate to escape. Talk about an intermittent signal issue that will drive you buggy. Works fine in the middle of the day but goes whack at night coincidently when the night temp reaches DEWPOINT....go figure.
I'm curious Smitty, who's he to PM? He said he could not find the original thread.

Seems most folks think the cover is necessary.

I think it's just necessary if you need the clamp throat to be a certain size or if you want to be extra sure to keep water out of the electronics (instead of relying on the seal from the LNB body and the thin metal electronics cover to be done correctly at the factory).

I think it looks cooler naked (and smaller clamp area, too - with the plastic gone, meaning I can use some of my older smaller clamps to hold it and don't need the 1.5 inch or so clamps).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)