Local news in HD?

sammy4041

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
I live in a smaller DMA and all the affiliates broadcast a HD signal, but none of the local news is in HD.

I was wondering if this was the norm at this point, or if other cities actually broadcast there local news in HD.

Thanks

I live in a smaller DMA and all the affiliates broadcast a HD signal, but none of the local news is in HD.

I was wondering if this was the norm at this point, or if other cities actually broadcast there local news in HD.

Thanks

The a number of local stations doing news in HD is less than 100. Most of them are in larger markets.

here in Miami (DMA #16) we have only one, which just started 2 weeks ago.
Our adjacent market West palm Beach (DMA #38) has had two in HD for several months.

Walt

The Seattle NBC station - KING 5 - has been doing the local news in HD for sometime. The CBS station - KIRO 7 - just started local HD news two weeks ago. The ABC affiliate was the first to "go digital" but is still doing widescreen SD. The Fox affiliate is SD only for news.

Charlotte, NC: WSOC-TV (ABC affilliate) started a few months ago and I think WCNC-TV (NBC affilliate) just started... Wrinkles really show up! I think on some national shows, they add a little vaseline on the lens to help :)

I think there is one here in Chicago, wls abc 7, as for wausau market, I think only up until a few years ago they had only 3 of the 4 affiliates, it may be awhile till they get local news in hd.

fox wausau is going to do the flash cut, all the others are up.

He is in Eau Clair... so I would think he gets the Eau Claire stations and LaCrosse ones. WEAU is a great digital stantion and one of my favorites... my bet is they will go HD LOCAL NEWS first.

As far as the rest of the state... probable HD newscasers might include: WISN, WISC, WEAU, WAOW. Those stations seem to be the leaders in their market.

Does anyone really care if their local news is in HD?

Personally I doubt that the channel I watch for local news would change even if it was in SD and the others were in HD.

In Birmingham only one of the four network stations is broadcasting the local news in HD, the NBC affiliate, WVTM-13. I suspect it probably gives the first station in a market that broadcasts local programming in HD a boost in ratings similer to back in the mid 60's when the first channel in a market started broadcasting local programming in color.

Last edited:
La Crosse will probley be a long time out. We just finally got Fox to go HD for the channel itself. Finally get the packers, nascar and soem baseball in HD!!! as far as the others, I doubt they will be HD news for quite a while. I could be wrong, but maybe we should send e-mails to the WXOW, WKBT WEAU and find out :) Bill

fox wausau is going to do the flash cut, all the others are up.

He is in Eau Clair... so I would think he gets the Eau Claire stations and LaCrosse ones. WEAU is a great digital stantion and one of my favorites... my bet is they will go HD LOCAL NEWS first.

As far as the rest of the state... probable HD newscasers might include: WISN, WISC, WEAU, WAOW. Those stations seem to be the leaders in their market.

I like witi they have great news as well as great packer coverage, my mistake I thought that eau claire(home of menards) was in the Wausau market.

Orlando has 2. NBC and ABC local news. The CBS affiliate did go to a 16:9 ratio widescreen for their newscast, but apparently it is not in HD yet.

The NBC affiliate in Indianapolis upgraded their news to HD about a year ago. The production and picture quality is absolutely gorgeous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)