Looking for recommendations

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
My son is looking for new speakers for his set up.

He has a Yamaha HTR-5660 Receiver and a set of 6.1 Yamaha speakers he got on closeout, he is getting a bit tired of the low sound quality of them (a bit harsh and not very "clear"). It provides 85watts x 6 channels

He tried the Infinity Primus Series (Primus 250 front, C25 center, and 3 150s for surround with a PS-10 subwoofer) and while he loved the sound, could not mount the 150s with his existing brackets due to weight, and brackets that -would- hold them were very expensive, due to the room layout, the surrounds need to be high on the wall and angled down to the seating position, so using the keyhole slots would not have worked (the right rear would be right in the middle of one of the "walking aisles", as would the rear center) the center channel also cut off a little of the bottom of his TV when positioned right in front of it. So sadly, despite the good sound, due to room logistics, they would not have worked well and he returned them.

The room in question is 12x18, with the seating position probubly around 14-15 feet from the TV and audio receiver (also the fronts and center channel)

The budget is aroundabout $1,000, a -little- over is acceptable, but trying to stick to the budget.

Also, local availability is preferred, we have a Best Buy (with a Magnolia) a Circuit City and a small store called "Stereo Advantage"(who has a website), all have listening rooms, and he does want to go and listen to some in store, but would enjoy -specific- ideas, of what to look at and for, especially since he heard someone mention the idea of mixing brands together (without the word "dont" in there)

Thanks in Advance

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Well you already said the 2 key points; #1 budget and #2 going to a listening room. Do you do mostly video, audio or a balanced mix? I also use a Yamaha to drive my H/T; the RX-Z9.

Take your favorite DVD and CD media to the room and match the closest or exact A/V unit to what you have; dont exceed what power rating you already have during the test if you can't match exactly.

You can really only hear for yourself. We can give you some longevity info and brands and how things sound in our specific environments but it isn't going to relate to yours too much; and surely all ears hear things differently.

I can say I would never recommend "boxed systems". I generally look past speaker with "plain paper" cones or plastic/plastic-like enclosures. I use Infinity Reference for my centers, in-wall surrounds and rears. I use an old top-quality CerwinVega from back in the good old days for my sub. I use Polk Audio for the main.

I can also add you don't, and shouldn't necessarily, assume you have to by the same brand or brand series "all the way around". In fact just select what sounds best to you for the purpose that speaker is going to perform.

Also, make sure to shop only where you can "try out" your selections at home and return or exchange hassle free if you are not 100% satisfied. I prefer the 100% return method as my only choice; I do not want to have in-store credit or exchanges because that just saddles me some place that may never have items that will work for me.

Last edited:

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Thanks, its a pretty even mix, some movies, some music, some TV (i generally find music to be the harder of the three to get to sound right)

Right now I was looking at Polk, Klipsch, JBL and Boston Accoustics seriously, with some minor looking at the Mirage Omnisats and the Definitive Technologies box sets (leaning away from them due to the quite high price of getting floorstanders for them, and the boxed sets already quite up there in my budget)

I might try mixing and matching from different brands and series, thanks for the idea

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Thanks, its a pretty even mix, some movies, some music, some TV (i generally find music to be the harder of the three to get to sound right)

Right now I was looking at Polk, Klipsch, JBL and Boston Accoustics seriously, with some minor looking at the Mirage Omnisats and the Definitive Technologies box sets (leaning away from them due to the quite high price of getting floorstanders for them, and the boxed sets already quite up there in my budget)

I might try mixing and matching from different brands and series, thanks for the idea

Whatever you buy, stay with the same brand and line. You want to keep the tonal quality the same. Very important!

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI

I have had klipsch since 88' and always been happy.
As Charper said, do not buy a box set. But individual pieces but I would keep them the same brand.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Did you see the thread about the Yambeka speakers? They might be worth considering.

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
I let him write all of that up there when he was asking about the speakers. He never saw the Yambeka speaker thread.
He went out and listened to all the ones he was interested in and then ended up buying the Definitive Tech speakers in spite of the fact that when he wants to add the towers they are $600 each. His fathers office is the next room over and he was complaining that the pictures were vibrating on the wall and his feet were getting a massage when my son was watching a movie.... hehe
They sounded good to me. They were a lot more than the Yambeka speakers though.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
I let him write all of that up there when he was asking about the speakers. He never saw the Yambeka speaker thread.
He went out and listened to all the ones he was interested in and then ended up buying the Definitive Tech speakers in spite of the fact that when he wants to add the towers they are $600 each. His fathers office is the next room over and he was complaining that the pictures were vibrating on the wall and his feet were getting a massage when my son was watching a movie.... hehe
They sounded good to me. They were a lot more than the Yambeka speakers though.

He must be looking at the 7006 towers. I have the 2006's, which must be the previous models. I love them, even to the point of using them for the rears as well. He will love them, too, I am sure. They have built in subs, so that saves some money. The hardcore listener may want to add a sub anyway.

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
He got a sub as well. So right now he is set up 5.1 without the towers and when he goes to 7.1 he will buy the towers.
Heck, he is only 18 and has a home theater set up in his room that a lot of adults dont have! lol

bryansr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 21, 2005
S. D. co. CA.
I get the SAME reaction when I tell my 20 year old son that same thing.... and he arrived home from Iraq safely not too long ago. He doesn't mind asking ME Question. >>>>> LOL

BryanSR

aeneas3

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 31, 2005
as someone just south of ya in cheektowaga who has been searching for a new hts I would compare prices at stereoadvantage, rosas, best buy, and circuit city. then i would check online as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)